Breastfeeding

How do you tell

how do you tell that your baby is done eating? That sounds dumb, but my little guy falls asleep on the breast after 5-6 minutes, but still seems to be sucking. I hardly ever hear him swallow unless he's just woken up and he's gulping. I never know how long to leave him on. I'm pretty sure he would literally stay on my boob all day! I usually take him off after 10-15 minutes. My LC said to try to keep him awake at least 10 minutes. He already has a poor milk transfer.

Re: How do you tell

• How old is he?

Most times, breastfed babies will pop off on their own but when they are newbies, they tend to fall asleep on the boob pretty quickly.  If you can hear him gulping and swallowing but his eyes are closed, I'd assume he's still eating.  If his sucking is sporadic, he's probably just comfort sucking.  

To keep him awake, you may want to try undressing him or tickling his feet.  
  • He's 10 weeks. I've been trying for 10 weeks to keep this little guy awake lol! I tickle his feet undress him rub his palms-he hates that i even put my finger in his ear. Nothing keeps him awake more than 5-6 minutes.
  • Loading the player...
  • I usually take away the boob if I think he's fallen asleep. If he hasn't, he lets me know by reopening his mouth and searching for the boob. :D
  • I usually take away the boob if I think he's fallen asleep. If he hasn't, he lets me know by reopening his mouth and searching for the boob. :D

This! I usually wait until he stops sucking then pull out the boob. If he's asleep he doesn't notice and if he isn't quite asleep he loses his mind and starts rooting all around trying to find it!
  • LO always falls asleep during her night feedings. I just burp her and if she still doesn't wake up I go ahead and put her back in her crib. I really never know if she is actually done. I just keep trying to feed her until she starts refusing my nipple completely.