Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Husband not helping...

We found out over the weekend our baby didn't have a heartbeat. I am so heartbroken.

My husband is even more so. Has anyone experienced this? His grief and so loud and out there and I can't handle it. I would finally start feeling a bit more normal, and he would start again.

I don't want to deny his grief, or what he's feeling, but I feel like I'm losing my damn mind. I'm barely keeping it together...I can't handle my grief and his too.

I'm not asking him to hold my grief either. I just want to deal with it on my own, and not have to consider his feelings. Is that horrible of me? I feel like a terrible person for saying that.

I just don't have enough strength to heal myself and him right now, and I think on some level he expects me to.

Re: Husband not helping...

• Does he have anyone besides you he can talk to? I feel like my husband is the opposite. He's thrown himself into work (as he usually does) and hasn't shown too much emotion over it.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• He doesn't really have anyone else. His best friend has no kids and is single. He's not very close with his mom or sister. That's why I feel so bad for pushing him away, but I can't handle it right now. He went back to work today, and I feel so much better than when he was home. It's so terrible, but it's true. Maybe I can find someone else for him to talk to right now...
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe a support group or grief counselor? I'm sorry for your loss.
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• Well, first of all, I'm so sorry for your loss. Going through a miscarriage is heartbreaking, and knowing how to help someone else when you're grieving isn't easy. But I'd second the idea of your husband (or both of you) getting in touch with a grief counselor or a support group. And I've heard of a few organizations that might be helpful in this area-GriefShare, Share (Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc.) and Stepping Stones. But if you both were able to find something like this, perhaps then you wouldn't feel the burden of having to be the only one there for him. And it might be helpful for him to speak to other dads who know what he's going through. So, just some things to think about. In the meantime, I'm praying for you guys!
  • Thank you so much. Our nurse at the D&C today recommended a support group. I have a good network of mommy friends to reach out to that have gone through this, but I'm encouraging my husband to go. I think it'll help.
  • I'm a little late to the game but I just wanted to say that I think that women prepare for and talk about this much more than men do. So as much as it's happening to our bodies, they may be more shocked. Plus, consider that he may feel worried about you as well (it seems you found this out and later had a d&c - he might calm down slightly when he sees you are safe through that). Outside support is really important because both of you are in this together and may not be able to support each other fully. I hope it helps!

• @camerainmyhand: I'm so glad to hear you were able to find some suggestions on a nearby support group. I really pray it will be helpful, and that your husband will be willing to go, as well.  Keep us posted on how you're doing, OK?