August 2015 Moms
Options

Umm...chunky breastmilk?

DS spits up chunky and thick breastmilk after feeding. The pediatrician said it is milk fat/protein. And The LC said it could mean clogged ducts but I dont feel any lumps or have duct pain. Any Momma's with thick milk?

Re: Umm...chunky breastmilk?

• Options
    It's most likely the fatty milk that comes. First milk is watery then it gradually gets thicker. My midwife advised me that if baby wants another feed within a 3 hour period to put the baby back on the same boob I fed with so they will get just fatty milk and not fill up on watery milk. Hope this helps :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm thinking it's the hind milk. Hind milk has more fatty elements. Fore milk is the milk that comes first and is more of a watery texture.

I haven't experienced much spit up but it sounds normal to me.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yes it just means it's milk that was digesting in their tummy from a previous feed rather than fresh BM you could see get spit up during a feed. Sometimes it can mean a food intolerance but most of the time it's just baby spitting up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's lipase. I have it too. I only see it because I pump as well as breastfeed. It's normal and babies don't mind it. It can have a "soapy" smell and taste and if baby doesnt mind it, it's fine. If he does, they recommend heating it to breakdown the lipase.
  • Options
    It could be lipase*** (not that it definitely is)
  • Options
    My baby is the spit up queen. She spits up fresh milk to chunky digested milk. All normal as long as baby stays a happy spitter and is gaining weight and growing.
  • Options
    The LC we saw said that the partially digested milk that you're describing comes up because there is air in the tummy before the baby feeds. She suggested burping the baby before feeding to help with that.