August 2015 Moms

Swaddling and 5S

I'd gotten away from swaddling because LO seems to hate it but tonight she has been agitated for going on four hours. She doesn't cry much just grunts, moans, and thrashes about. She acts like she is starving but won't latch. She shouldn't be hungry as she ate about an hour ago. Anyway I just swaddled her, put her on her side on my lap using the Boppy and gave her a paci. Also have some white noise on. She's finally starting to settle down. Hopefully she will sleep soon and me too.

Re: Swaddling and 5S

• Oh the power of the 5S's. My LO loves swaddling to sleep, but not any other time. However, I never underestimate the power of a swaddle. Ive done it without her seeming tired before to console her and she ended up calming down and passing out in it still, im assuming tired herself out from being upset for a bit.
  • mlindon said:

I'd gotten away from swaddling because LO seems to hate it but tonight she has been agitated for going on four hours. She doesn't cry much just grunts, moans, and thrashes about. She acts like she is starving but won't latch. She shouldn't be hungry as she ate about an hour ago. Anyway I just swaddled her, put her on her side on my lap using the Boppy and gave her a paci. Also have some white noise on. She's finally starting to settle down. Hopefully she will sleep soon and me too.

My DD acts like this a LOT in the evenings. I couldn't figure out why she seemed so hungry but wouldn't latch. I thought I was having supply issues! Turns out that's her way of telling me she's overtired and needs to sleep ASAP. I also swaddle, hold her on her side, jiggle her a little, and turn on the white noise. Some times it takes longer than others but she's usually out pretty quickly, or at least sleepy enough that I put her down and she drifts off to sleep.