November 2015 Moms

Watching Movies During Labor?

DH and I had our hospital tour this past weekend, and one thing that was highly recommended was bringing DVDs to watch during labor. They have pretty a pretty sweet TV/DVD player set up in all of the rooms. This had not crossed my mind, but seems like it could be a good distraction/focal point. 

Anyone else planning to bring movies? If so, do you have suggestions for good movies to bring? All I can think of so far is Garden State and maybe Grease- simply because those are 2 of my all time favorites. Maybe Juno would be fitting? :)
Fur daughter: 02/2011
Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
*formerly kayemjay*

Re: Watching Movies During Labor?

• I watched movies when I was in labor with my first.  My hospital has a great cable package so no DVD's were needed.  It wasn't even anything I thought about until we were just sitting there playing around with the TV.  It was a great distraction for me (as well as the rest of my birthing group).  We had a lot of fun with it =)
  • I watched UP
  • Loading the player...
  • I was planning to load my iPad with TV shows figuring it would be easier to focus on something shorter than a movie. Was think about doing light comedy sitcoms like 30 Rock or Arrested Development.
  • Thanks for your input! 

I'm not sure about my hospital's cable situation, and I don't have an iPad, so I'll probably bring DVD copies of whatever I think I may want to watch. 

@Bettytteb- that's a good point. Perhaps I'll track down a few seasons of Friends or something similar. 
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Hunger Games series, Frozen, Mean Girls...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I watched a movie at home, nowhere to do that in my hospital (lucky you!!!)... I watched Anchorman and honestly it was even funnier when I was in pain. I had my eyes closed, breathing through a contraction and almost wet myself when I heard the line "I love lamp." I found the comedy helped me a lot!!!
  • I'd go with something in a genre you like or a movie you never tire of seeing.  Anything in depth and "thinky" may get annoying as there will be interruptions.  I wouldn't recommend watching House of Cards or The Usual Suspects for the first time during L&D.  I will probably go with Firefly (a tv series) or cartoons like something by Studio Gibli or Disney.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited September 2015
    Our hospital has a great cable lineup but the TV was amazing during my induction with my first.  It was also great in the recovery to have when I was up all night with feedings and during the day when it was just me or me and H.

I enjoyed light hearted/mindless things.  I watched TVLand, crazy coupon people,  family channel etc.

• I couldn't handle Serenity, but Firefly has enough jokes wedged into the feels that I think I could handle it.  I'm still disappointed that BF nixed Kaylee early on in the name game.  I think she'd make an awesome role model. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• @VexedMommy- I agree about Firefly! DH actually suggested Kaylee as a girl's name- while I love the character, the name is not my style. He was pretty bummed. 

@grapesoda1111- Definitely adding Mean Girls to the list. I imagine it'll be good to have movies/shows I've seen numerous times, so I don't have to really pay attention. The only downside to MG is inevitably having DH quote the entire movie.
    *formerly kayemjay*

• I love animated Disney movies, they always make me feel so much better. I know all the words too. I'll probably watch Mulan. 

Do unto others. 
  • My hospital has wifi that I for sure know about so I might just watch Netflix :D then I can watch as many shows and movies as I want
    BabyName Ticker
  • I work at a Family Video so I thought I'd be set on the movie watching department, until we got a tour and our TV's only have a vhs player. VHS!!! Who the heck still uses those?!
  • Wreck it Ralph, Forrest Gump, Mulan and Wall-E!! Those are always my go to movies... Those and Billy Madison!!
  • AmoLovesAudAmoLovesAud member
    edited September 2015

Hmm, never thought about watching anything during labor.  I guess I figured I'd be too distracted/busy?  But it does make some sense to have a distraction, especially if it could take a long time (my mother reminds me at every birthday just how long her labor was.  23 1/2 hours, if you were curious.)

I'm a bit of an anime nerd, so as long as my hospital has decent internet, I could stream a bunch of stuff off Crunchyroll.  Most of my favorites are cutesy slice-of-life funny stories (Lucky Star, K-On!, Ouran High School Host Club), so they'd be great to watch.  Now the real question is, how well will I be able to read subtitles?

• Hmm, never thought about watching anything during labor.  I guess I figured I'd be too distracted/busy?  But it does make some sense to have a distraction, especially if it could take a long time (my mother reminds me at every birthday just how long her labor was.  23 1/2 hours, if you were curious.)

I'm a bit of an anime nerd, so as long as my hospital has decent internet, I could stream a bunch of stuff off Crunchyroll.  Most of my favorites are cutesy slice-of-life funny stories (Lucky Star, K-On!, Ouran High School Host Club), so they'd be great to watch.  Now the real question is, how well will I be able to read subtitles?

OMG OURAN HIGHSCHOOL HOST CLUB. I just geeked out so hard!!!!
    Do unto others. 
  • mrsaragon said:

I work at a Family Video so I thought I'd be set on the movie watching department, until we got a tour and our TV's only have a vhs player. VHS!!! Who the heck still uses those?!

I do! They're are so many vhs movies at thrift stores and garage sales, they're so cheap(sometimes just given away). Plus, I run into nostalgic old movies. Sure the quality isn't amazing, but there's something charming about that to me.
  • I'm thinking movies I know every word of so I don't really need to pay attention: mall rats, empire records, gross pointe blank, maybe some Star Wars for my husband, then hopefully if we can stream Netflix I can binge on my favorites like parks and rec, 30 rock, and the office
    I think you are my movie/TV soul mate. 

•  OMG OURAN HIGHSCHOOL HOST CLUB. I just geeked out so hard!!!!

I've been to at least 5 conventions the same time as Vic Mignogna, but have never been able to get him to autograph my Ouran box set (I vendor at these things, can't leave my booth), BUT, he's going to be at a local convention next spring, and I won't be vendoring because LO will be too little, so I might have a shot!  Even better, a friend of a friend will likely be his handler, and she plans to dress as Haruhi Fujioka and reprimand "sempai" whenever Vic gets weird (as he is known to do).

.... okay, and now that I've ousted myself as a super-geek, I'll see myself out.....

•  OMG OURAN HIGHSCHOOL HOST CLUB. I just geeked out so hard!!!!

I've been to at least 5 conventions the same time as Vic Mignogna, but have never been able to get him to autograph my Ouran box set (I vendor at these things, can't leave my booth), BUT, he's going to be at a local convention next spring, and I won't be vendoring because LO will be too little, so I might have a shot!  Even better, a friend of a friend will likely be his handler, and she plans to dress as Haruhi Fujioka and reprimand "sempai" whenever Vic gets weird (as he is known to do).

.... okay, and now that I've ousted myself as a super-geek, I'll see myself out.....

Okay if you weren't taken already I would propose.
    Do unto others. 
  • oliarnmom1517oliarnmom1517 member
    edited September 2015

mrsaragon said:

I work at a Family Video so I thought I'd be set on the movie watching department, until we got a tour and our TV's only have a vhs player. VHS!!! Who the heck still uses those?!

I do! They're are so many vhs movies at thrift stores and garage sales, they're so cheap(sometimes just given away). Plus, I run into nostalgic old movies. Sure the quality isn't amazing, but there's something charming about that to me.

I still use one lol it's connected to my flat screen and when new people come over they look at me like I have ten heads... It's like when I drove my lumina and my brother and friends would get in the car and couldn't figure out how to put the windows down.. It had manual roll down windows.. I called them Rollie windows.. When I told them they had to roll it down they took their hands and put them on the window and tried to push them down lol =)) It was the funniest thing ever!!!! Also I found my favorite movie (sound of music) for 99 cents a goodwill one day.. All of my favorite Disney movies like lion king and lady and the tramp that I am having the hardest time finding on DVD I have on VHS and they get played often...
  • With my first we watched Lifetime Movie Network the whole time. My son was born to the Elizabeth Smart Story & I was in labor during Drew Peterson: Untouchable lmao all I think about if I see those movies now is being in labor.
  • Gilmore Girls is always a go to show for me. I love Lorelai and between her birth story to Rory, Sookie's kids, and lane's, I can stay distracted for a long time.
  • mrsaragon said:

I still use one lol it's connected to my flat screen and when new people come over they look at me like I have ten heads... It's like when I drove my lumina and my brother and friends would get in the car and couldn't figure out how to put the windows down.. It had manual roll down windows.. I called them Rollie windows.. When I told them they had to roll it down they took their hands and put them on the window and tried to push them down lol =)) It was the funniest thing ever!!!! Also I found my favorite movie (sound of music) for 99 cents a goodwill one day.. All of my favorite Disney movies like lion king and lady and the tramp that I am having the hardest time finding on DVD I have on VHS and they get played often...
    Hahaa, Rollie windows. Ah, the youth of today. I'm not even that old but some of them younger kids are missing out. My stepbrother didn't know who Bob Dylan is, like, never even heard the name. Strange.
    I just found lion king the other day! I was pumped since I have lion king 2, now I feel pretty official.
    I haven't seen sound of music in a few years. I randomly binged on it for a couple weeks a few years ago and just always had it on. I'll do that with movies sometimes.
  • I'm thinking movies I know every word of so I don't really need to pay attention: mall rats, empire records, gross pointe blank, maybe some Star Wars for my husband, then hopefully if we can stream Netflix I can binge on my favorites like parks and rec, 30 rock, and the office

heck i'd watch star wars just for me... i love star wars--- it speaks to my soul
    BabyName Ticker
  • On a related note my unborn child is now the proud owner of a miniature version of Jayne's hat. 

^ parenting done right.
  • When I gave birth to my DD my ex had on Tru TV's marathon of "World's Dumbest/Fastest/Stupidest Things."  I've wondered some days if that didn't influence her daredevil nature.  I'm lucky there have been no broken bones, but I swear the child has fallen off of, gotten stuck on, or run into almost everything possible for a child of her age.  The child was helping her daddy clean the house and literally got her head stuck behind the toilet - who the hell does that?!

• When I gave birth to my DD my ex had on Tru TV's marathon of "World's Dumbest/Fastest/Stupidest Things."  I've wondered some days if that didn't influence her daredevil nature.  I'm lucky there have been no broken bones, but I swear the child has fallen off of, gotten stuck on, or run into almost everything possible for a child of her age.  The child was helping her daddy clean the house and literally got her head stuck behind the toilet - who the hell does that?!

You would be surprised... My nephew got stuck in the toilet once... I think he was 3 or 4.. Don't know how or why but it happened.. But it happened... My sister has a picture somewhere... But kids get stuck in weird situations sometimes!
  • TacoSarah said:
    I'm thinking movies I know every word of so I don't really need to pay attention: mall rats, empire records, gross pointe blank, maybe some Star Wars for my husband, then hopefully if we can stream Netflix I can binge on my favorites like parks and rec, 30 rock, and the office

heck i'd watch star wars just for me... i love star wars--- it speaks to my soul

You could push the baby out to the Darth Vade music - that would be truly epic!

I'm going to go with a Friends marathon.

oh man, I had such a laugh this morning thinking about my baby crowning  just as vader's theme music is playing. My husband already uses this really weird voice when he talks to my bump, and I can picture him all: Luuuuuuuke, I am your father :)

Thought of a few more: Big Lebowski, Monty Python (life of brian or search for the holy grail), and Dazed and Confused. 
  • Maybe if I put on a documentary my baby will come out smart. :) 

I'm still going to watch Anastasia though. 
    Do unto others. 
  • I think Father of the Bride Part II would be fitting. I've always loved that one, even not pregnant. 
  • TacoSarah said:
    I'm thinking movies I know every word of so I don't really need to pay attention: mall rats, empire records, gross pointe blank, maybe some Star Wars for my husband, then hopefully if we can stream Netflix I can binge on my favorites like parks and rec, 30 rock, and the office

You could push the baby out to the Darth Vade music - that would be truly epic!

I'm going to go with a Friends marathon.

I feel like by the time i'm pushing the baby out, it'll feel like i'm being tortured by darth sidious, force lightning everywhere. that being said I may have to think about taking a page out of your book, and sticking to something that will be more funny and cheerful. but having a theme song to give birth to---- totally epic
    BabyName Ticker