Breastfeeding
Options

Nursing during vaccination

Mentioned to my DH that I planned on nursing our 9 week old through his vaccinations tomorrow and MIL chimed in that " he'll definitely choke". Now DH is convinced of this and doesn't think it's a good idea. I'm not crazy in thinking it would be comforting and lessen the trauma right? Any one that has done it care to share their experience?

Re: Nursing during vaccination

• Options
    I haven't tried, but I really think both of my kids would have immediately unlatched to cry, and then I would have had milk squirting around! I've always BF immediately after and its worked well for us. Good luck.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    DS just had his shots today, and the nurse wouldn't let me nurse him during for exactly that reason. I thought it might distract him and he might not notice . . . yeah, there was no chance of that. He had a really hard time nursing afterwards, too, because he was crying so hard. Vaccination is really important, I know that, but man, it was hard. I hope your LO takes it in stride!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor said to nurse immediately after for comfort. Nursing during makes baby associate nursing with a painful experience. I definitely can see the choking potential as well.