Pregnant after a Loss

Any experience? *losses mentioned* **UPDATE & more questions**

JE2249JE2249 member
edited September 2015 in Pregnant after a Loss
Hi ladies! I've been lurking, waiting to introduce myself. In November of 2012, I had a miscarriage, then an ectopic with tube removal in February of 2013. We had our rainbow baby in June of 2014, and JUST ended up with a big surprise BFP on 8/27. I am breastfeeding my 14 month old, and was not tracking my cycles or ovulation. I believe CD1 was either 7/26 or 7/27. I went in for an early US today and while there is a gestational sac measuring fairly appropriately, there was only a fetal pole, no baby. My OB thinks that this is a blighted ovum OR my ovulation date is later than the predicted day 14. I had an early US to r/o ectopic with my rainbow baby, and that was at 5 weeks and some odd days and I think we saw a fetal pole and baby. Per loss mama protocol, I don't get my hopes up and am preparing for this to be a blighted ovum and to miscarry. I just want to know, how early is too early to see anything? Has anyone else been in this situation?

Thanks for getting through that. If I had a big batch of cookies to give, I would!

***Update: Hcg came back at 37,000-something. I didn't ask for an exact number. I just know that they didn't double, or come close. The nurse made it sound like my OB was pleased with the rise and scheduled me for another US next Thursday. While my heart wants me to be hopeful, my logic tells me that there is no feasible way that this is a viable pregnancy with that little of a rise. Thoughts? Similar situations? Experiences? I would appreciate whatever you've got! ☺️
Image and video hosting by TinyPic TTC since 4/12 BFP #1 11/15/12, MC/possible ectopic 11/20, natural MC BFP #2 1/15/13, ectopic discovered 2/15, surgery, R tube removed

Re: Any experience? *losses mentioned* **UPDATE & more questions**

• I had an ultrasound at 5w5d and my doctor saw a yolk sac and was pretty sure he saw a fetal pole, but couldn't definitively say it was a fetal pole. I had a fairly prominent yolk sac which made it difficult to see anything until around 9 weeks, at which point baby was finally the same size as the yolk sac. I am almost 17 weeks now with an active little boy that seems to have a sense of humor and likes to hide from me when I use my doppler and jump on my bladder.
  • Thanks @rachrobertson :) I appreciate the positive story. Still not thinking that way, but so very happy for you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic TTC since 4/12 BFP #1 11/15/12, MC/possible ectopic 11/20, natural MC BFP #2 1/15/13, ectopic discovered 2/15, surgery, R tube removed
  • Loading the player...
  • I've heard a lot of stories about not seeing everything you're "supposed to" at 5 and even 6 weeks. Also keep in mind that not everyone ovulates at the general 14 day mark so it's possible your dating is off. Fingers crossed for you! I know it's impossible to relax but know that you have a support system here!

• I agree with @spatter1, my doctor won't even schedule you until after six weeks because he doesn't expect to see anything on an ultrasound.
  • Thanks ladies! My hope is that O'd around CD18-20. My levels came back around 27,500, so we will see what tomorrow brings. @PlainJane8350, it was more a peace of mind check to make sure the pregnancy was intrauterine, otherwise I completely agree, it only freaks people (like me!) out to do one and not see anything. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT!
  • Sending you positive thoughts and prayers for doubling numbers!