December 2015 Moms

Major anxiety about movement

Hi. Guys.
I'm sure Im not alone but I literally have been obsessing over how much I feel my little nugget move. I'm 27 weeks 4 days. I feel her on an off throught out the day. Big kicks and crazy movement is usually more at night or after work or a large meal..as I am on my feet for 9 hrs a day. However some days shes crazy and others less active. Those days my anxiety is extreme. I do have a home Doppler which is my only saving grace. But I still need the reassurance of movement. Anyone else this nuts lol?! Or am I our of my mind. Haha
Input would be great!

Re: Major anxiety about movement

• This movement sounds totally normal. Have you talked to your OB about what to expect at this point in your pregnancy? I know I can go up to a day without feeling anything but little flutters and it's likely he is still doing perfect in there. I *think* it's not until after week 30 (not totally sure) that they don't start counting kicks. Until that point it's too sporadic. My baby moves most at night, as well. That is when we are laying still and baby isn't being rocked to sleep by movement.
  • I think everyone gets like this at some point. When i was pregnant with my first i even went to the doctors a couple times for a non stress test just to be sure. So your not nuts just a worried mama.
  • Loading the player...
  • The only thing my OB has said is that I should feel some form movement everyday now because I have been feeling it so constantly since week 18. They did obviously say she wont be moving all the time. She has not mentioned kick counts yet. I have an apt in 2 weeks I'm going to bring it up then. When I use my Doppler I can hear her moving away from the noise an do dont always feel those movements.
    I'm probably just a anxious nutcase lol
  • you are not alone. i am also 27 weeks and my DS can be very active some days and other days not so much. if half a day goes by without me feeling any movement i will simply gently rub my stomach and my DS will give some kind movement, like "mom i'm ok just resting". with this being my first pregnancy i have a lot of anxiety.
  • You might be like me and have an anterior placenta. I had anxiety about my baby movements because they literally felt like 2 babies. I would feel baby turn on the left lower but feel more in my upper right. From week 18 on... I told the dr even though I felt like a dummy, he measured and I measured a tad big but not the typical size of twins but we def have to look. The ultrasound tech took 10 min looking because she swore I had 2! But was so confused cuz at 24 w. You would see that right away usually! I feel baby almost all day and some times wakes me at night!! But every few days hardly nothing!!! They are assuming its the fact I have an anterior placenta! I've come to the conclusion babies have their own minds!! Lol :)
  • Can't they tell if it's twins very early on? They were able to tell me 100% that I had a single pregnancy at my 8 weeks dating scan. I would be asking for another tech if they spent 10minutes looking to see if you had one or two in there at 24 weeks. At 24 weeks they are almost as long as a foot long subway sandwich!

OP I wouldn't worry too much. I am 27 weeks on Thursday and I had the same thing a week or two ago. He moves around and kicks like crazy most days - even more at night. Then I had about 3 days of almost no movement. I got pretty worried and went to my midwife and the heartbeat was fine. Then later that night got woken up by some massive kicks.

I wanted to get a home Doppler early on but my husband wouldn't let me and my midwife supported him. I would be more worried if I wasn't able to find a heartbeat just because I wasn't looking in the right place.
  • I was about to search for a board about this. I've been having the same thing. When I'm really busy during the day I don't feel him much. But maybe it's because I don't take time to notice and he sleeps more. I just had an appointment on Monday and they said everything looked perfect. But I have so much anxiety too. Im guessing it's normal.
  • Can't they tell if it's twins very early on? They were able to tell me 100% that I had a single pregnancy at my 8 weeks dating scan. I would be asking for another tech if they spent 10minutes looking to see if you had one or two in there at 24 weeks. At 24 weeks they are almost as long as a foot long subway sandwich!

OP I wouldn't worry too much. I am 27 weeks on Thursday and I had the same thing a week or two ago. He moves around and kicks like crazy most days - even more at night. Then I had about 3 days of almost no movement. I got pretty worried and went to my midwife and the heartbeat was fine. Then later that night got woken up by some massive kicks.

I wanted to get a home Doppler early on but my husband wouldn't let me and my midwife supported him. I would be more worried if I wasn't able to find a heartbeat just because I wasn't looking in the right place.

Yes. There's no mistaking twins after a certain point on a scan. Even as early as 6 weeks if they're in separate sacks it's pretty easy to see. By 20 weeks, it's pretty much instantly recognizable.
  • Tonight I called my insurance companies nurse line because I didn't feel movement for almost 2 hours! I was sure she was going to say not to worry but she actually said to go to the ER, just as we were getting ready to go, he started kicking like crazy and has been moving all night. I decided not to go, but I probably will if it happens again. I think we will get a Doppler, but we (hubby and I) will remind ourselves that if we don't hear anything it's becaus we aren't doing it right, not because baby isn't ok! I seriously didn't think I would have this much anxiety during pregnancy. It's seriously making me question if I want to do it again!
  • How do you get a doppler?
  • I just went through the same thing this past week. My Dr said the number one reason why moms don't feel baby move is because they are busy and not paying attention. He told me to lay down comfortably and as long as I feel 8 movements in 1 hour to not worry. If I don't, or am overly concerned to go to labor and delivery to get checked. Please keep in mind that some doctors have different kick counts, and mine also said at 26 weeks movement would be sporadic, not because he's not moving, but because baby is still small and won't be as easy to feel as he will in another month. This is my second baby but sometimes I feel like it's the first all over again :)
  • How do you get a doppler?

You can get them at like babies r us or buy buy baby, or order one on Amazon. There are cheap ones and expensive ones. Although you have to remember that you might not get a heart beat, but that doesn't mean there isn't one, it can just be hard to find.
  • Im trying to remind myself this! And I've also been basically tracking his movements. So that I can get a sense of how much he's actually moving. It's not an exact thing, but it's enough to keep me calm!

Oh a soda really helped him kick last night! Trying to take it easy today. I have a doctors appointment in Friday.

As a side note, my anxiety level usually doubles the week before a doctors appointment. I'm wondering if this is sort of, in my mind. I've had a pretty easy pregnancy and I might be almost waiting for something bad to happen! Sounds crazy, but that's my hormonal thinking!
  • Babies can sleep for 11-14 hours at this stage. I don't think we start kick counts under third trimester
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Kick counts start about 30 weeks I heard. Some days I *barely* feel baby and others I feel it quite a bit. But I went 2 days with feeling nothing so I went to Dr and she said sometimes babies go through mini growth spurts where they just sleep and sleep so then you don't feel them for a bit. I think this is something every mom worries about though!!!
  • I was having this worry, she has been very active since about week 16 so to not feel kicking or rolling for a 10+ hours really freaked me out.  My OB asked me twice about movement, and I usually am not one to say anything during appointments but I did mention that I haven't been feeling her as much.  Of course I was the last patient of the day, and now she wants to do a NST and ultrasound, kinda freaked me out! This was the time that LO decided to WAKE UP AND KICK EVERY 5 SECONDS! I could tell my doc was not very happy haha oh well, but she did the ultrasound and amniotic fluid is good, and heartbeat is good as well.  I'd rather be safe than sorry at this point!
  • Yes, I worry about this a lot. Baby has been more consistent but I do semi-freak when it's been a few hours and I haven't felt anything. You are not alone.
  • As long as I feel baby a couple times a day I am happy. I would count myself among the pretty active, so there aren't many times where I am sitting and paying attention to my body. But whenever I am, it doesn't take long to feel a little something. I also have an anterior placenta, so I think a bulk of baby's movement are still being muffled. Especially with what you can feel from the outside. So far, only SO has been able to feel baby move. But I am happy to have that excuse. I don't want people touching my belly, even my family, lols.

I am a FTM, so kick counts is something I have never heard of. Hahaha "Ok Google, what are kick counts in pregnancy?"
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have had anxiety not only when she moves very little but when she moves a lot. On Friday night, she became very violent - enough to prompt usually calm me to call the on-call doctor to make sure he didn't think she was in distress. 

She's fine. We just had some sugar :) She calmed down, was relaxed for a couple of days and today she's back to being the karate kid again.

I'm 25 weeks now and I have learned a few things about my daughter. One is that she is calmer on weekends than during the week because my schedule is less certain. And I'm more relaxed and, quite frankly, lazy as hell. And she is lazy too.