November 2015 Moms

3rd trimester weight gain?!

eilykylieeilykylie member
edited September 2015 in November 2015 Moms
i know there was a thread on weight gain and I just looked at it & the most recent I could find were in July. I'm 29 1/2 weeks and I have gained 20 POUNDS! & I almost wanted to pass out on the scale. I started off at 112 and I'm now 132! My doctor hasn't said a word about my weight what are all the other nov mamas weighing now? also was wondering how long it took to get back to PP weight, I'm a ftm so I have no idea.

Re: 3rd trimester weight gain?!

• You don't want to know...

I've gained 1.8lbs. Buuuuut I started off at 262, so it's just been baby stealing from me. Which is a-okay
    Baby number 1 on the way!
  • I've gained about 35 lbs... So that should make you feel better. I think I started out a little bit underweight but have made up for that and more. I don't feel like I look 35 lbs heavier but the number is very discouraging! My midwives haven't said anything but I brought it up at my last appointment and she gave me some tips on how to include more protein in my diet so I that I indulge in sweets less often.

I hasn't shared this number lightly but figure it might make you feel better.
  • Loading the player...
  • I started off at 108, was 111 at 20 weeks ,,,,

I am now 29 weeks and Im up to 124. SO in a mere 9 weeks I gained 13 pounds. 

With my last pregnancy i was 134 at 40 weeks, I know im going to be atleast 140 this time lol 

• I don't want to put my pre/now weight as I'm not slender in the slightest. However, I've only gained about 5 pounds total. With my DD I had gained 60+.
  • I've gained 23lbs so far. With my first, I gained 45 lbs by 34 weeks.
  • I didn't gain anything until 22 weeks and I since have put on 15 pounds and I'm 29 weeks. My doctor just said to me she thinks I'm not gaining enough and she is going to monitor it more closely but honestly I think my weight gain is right on track!
  • I wouldn't worry. I've gained 29.5 at 30 weeks, and when I last went to the doc, she commented that my weight gain was "great" (I was up about 27 lbs at just under 29 weeks). Seeing that number go up on the scale is unnerving, but it's all for a good reason, so just do what you can to be healthy and let the rest of it go.
  • I went down 9 lbs in first trimester (yay morning sickness plus giving up beer) and went back up to my starting weight and am now up about 11 lbs from there at 29.5 weeks. I'm also a curvy girl to begin with, so there's that. Sounds like you're doing fine, you probably didn't have much body fat to begin with, and you have to gain some In order for your body to be able to grow a baby.
  • At my 27ish week appointment I had gained 21 lbs and my doctor said that was "a lot" and to "eat less and exercise more" which is pretty much impossible. With DD1 I only gained 26 lbs but I did not show hardly at all, this time I'm noticably pregnant but definitely don't look 30 weeks. I started out at a healthy weight so I feel like 21 lbs isn't too much and I predict ending at around 35.
  • Gained right at 30 lbs, at 30 weeks..I was doing well until I got put on bed rest and gained 10 pounds in the last few weeks. My doctor isn't concerned..and hopefully now that I'm off bed rest it will slow down!

Moral of the story: you're doing fine. :)
  • I've gained 15 lbs at 28 weeks. Doc said she only wanted me to gain 15-20 lbs this pregnancy since I hadn't lost any weight from my last pregnancy. So far so good.
  • I was up 8 lbs at my 28 week appointment. I didn't start gaining any weight until I was about 22ish weeks. So in 6 weeks I gained 8 lbs. I'm also worried about how fast I can/will go back to my pre pregnancy body..this weight gain has made me super self conscious! I haven't asked my dr about my weight gain but I figured if it wasn't ok he would tell me? I just feel like I'm gaining weight so quickly now!
  • edited September 2015
    If you started out at a healthy weight, you should gain a total of 25 to 35 lbs for an average healthy pregnancy. Only 5 to 10 lbs of that is actually fat. They say (again, on average, everyone is a little different) that most of that should be in the second and third trimester at a rate of a pound a week on average. So even if it seems like a lot it looks like if you keep a similar rate, you're on track to gain 30 lbs total since you have 10 weeks left, which puts you right in the middle of the recommended gain for someone starting at a healthy weight. Ask your ob of course if you're concerned, but it sounds right. Remember that some people posting really low weight gains may have started out heavier and have different guidelines for gaining or had bad morning sickness which brought them below their staying weight.

I'm pretty similar. I started at a healthy weight and am 28 weeks and gained 19 lbs. It seems to be all stomach and on track with the weight gain charts, so I'm pretty happy.
  • With DD I started at 110 and ended at 163. I did not care about what I was eating at that time & I ate twice as much food as normal... Not because I was "eating for two" ... I was just so damn hungry! I lost it all no problem. This time around I am more conscious of what I am eating, although still eating sweets every day ... So far at 29 weeks I have gained 23 lbs. I'll be happy if I can stay under 40lbs total! I know that I will lose it all once baby is here.
  • I've gained 21
  • At 31 weeks, I'd gained 17lbs. I know rationally that's right on track for what I should be gaining this pregnancy. But emotionally, it was throwing me for a loop seeing that number tick up and up and up. So I put my scale in the cellar for now. I figure my midwives will let me know if there's an issue.
  • I'm 31 weeks and have gained 23 pounds. My OB said she's really happy with my weight. So I think you're fine.
  • I'm 30w5d and am up like 26lbs. Doctor said that's a little on the high end, but they aren't super concerned. Hoping I'll land at just about 35lbs gained by the time LO arrives.
  • I'm up about 30 at 30w. And I was overweight to start so I've gained more than the books say I "should." But I honestly can't help it. I'm really not eating much differently than I did pre pregnancy (if anything I'm eating less/healthier). My body just loves holding on to weight. Fortunately, DH is super supportive of me and reminds me how beautiful he finds me so my weight gain hasn't bothered me.

Doctors haven't seemed concerned either, so guess I'm okay.
  • I started at 5'5" and 132 lbs. i didnt gain a single pound until 27 weeks and was worried but my doc said not to be concerned since baby was measuring just fine. Now (32 weeks tomorrow) I am up 9lbs so I guess the third trimester is where all of my weight gain is going to happen! My mom was the same way appearantly.
  • I am just like you. 5'3 110 starting weight. I am now 31 weeks and my weight is 132. I gained mostly in the first trimester (just like my mother) and i walk briskly for 40 min 5 days a week. Please don't stress too much. Eat lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains and healthy fats. Im trying to gain only 30-35lbs but won't lose sleep on it if it is a few pounds more. Good luck.
  • So far I have gained about 12 pounds, started at 132. I do feel like it's all going to pack on these last 9 weeks.
  • I am 31 weeks and 2 days and up about 25lbs. It's all belly so my balance has been pretty off. I try to be active and walk about a mile a day. Def. not obsessing about it, just want a healthy baby. Will worry about losing the weight later!

FTM due 11/06/2015
    Married 09/21/2013
  • I gained about 1 pound every month untill my last doctor visit. Than I gained almost 8 pouds. I am 30 weeks pregnant and a second time mom. My last pregnancy I was on bed rest for the last 6 or 7 weeks. I gained almost 40 pounds in that pregnancy, between just taking my daughter for walks, after 4 weeks (had 3rd degree tearing) and breastfeeding I fit all my pre-pregnancy clothes by 3 months pp and by 6 months I had lost weight.

Don't worry you willbe fine!
  • I've gained less than 5 pounds so far but I was incredibly overweight to begin with. Fingers crossed that I don't start packing on the pounds...it helps that I walk at least 3 miles a day.
  • eilykylie said:

i know there was a thread on weight gain and I just looked at it & the most recent I could find were in July. I'm 29 1/2 weeks and I have gained 20 POUNDS! & I almost wanted to pass out on the scale. I started off at 112 and I'm now 132! My doctor hasn't said a word about my weight what are all the other nov mamas weighing now? also was wondering how long it took to get back to PP weight, I'm a ftm so I have no idea.

@eilykylie I am in a similar boat as you. I started off at 110 but at 28 weeks, I'm up to 135. My doctor said this is a very healthy weight range for me, and expects me to gain between 35-40 lbs total due to being so thin pre-baby. As long as you still feel good, I wouldn't be worried
  • 28 weeks and have gained 12 pounds so far.
  • 28 weeks and up 30 pounds. I was beating myself up hardcore over it because I haven't been eating particularly healthy, but my OB is a saint and told me to chill out, I'm young and healthy and baby boy is doing great. Try not to stress!
  • I'm 30 weeks and currently up 5lbs overall. I spent my first tri sick as a dog and lost 10 lbs. From the time I stopped puking my guts out and now I've put on about 15 lbs, though... so.... I feel like I've just gained it really fast.
  • My pre-pregnancy weight was 118. I am 5'7 so I was pretty thin. I am now 31 weeks and up to 141lbs. I'm also a FTM.
  • I'm 5'7" and started the pregnancy at 212. I have only gained 11 pounds as of 31 weeks, but because of being clinically overweight my doctor and I wanted to keep it to 15-25 pounds total. I was also very sick in the first trimester and lost 5 pounds or so.
  • I had gained 20 lbs at 30w.  A few of the doctors/NPs I've seen have harped on me, but the doctor who saw me at my last appointment said I was pretty much on-target for an average gain of 30 lbs.
  • I'm almost 30 weeks and have gained 30 lbs. I'm tall and thin (normally!) but have always had a big appetite and it's only gotten worse since I got pregnant. I've tried eating less but then I'm always hungry so I've just stopped worrying so much about it. I figure my body has been regulating itself well for the last 30 years and it will probably pick back up where it left off after LO is born.
  • emzcatemzcat member
    edited September 2015
    At 26 weeks I was up 19lbs. I was freaking out a bit because from June to August I had put on 15 of the 19 lbs. My obgyn pointed out that our blood volume doubles some time between 20 and 30 weeks which contributes a lot to the extra weight.

I'm at 28 now and I'm not sure what my weight is... I've gotten to a point where I don't care as much either. I love foods.

Edit: to add extra info at the bottom
  • I started out at 162 and now I'm right about 20 pounds heavier. Can't wait to have this baby and be back to normal!!!!
  • 32 weeks and they just told me I've gained 22. Kinda bummed bc I wanted to be about 25 total, but I've also had a crummy morning so I'll probably have cookies when I get home.
  • Sigh, this has been so hard! I've struggled with an eating disorder for 14 years, wasn't even sure I could get pregnant. I've managed to do ok mentally until last appointment when I see a doc I hadn't seen before who decided to read my history AFTER telling me I was up 32#s and that I needed to slow down in the weight gain. I bawled for three hours afterwards and have been a hot mess since. Pregnancy weight gain is tough!
  • edited September 2015
    TinaB126 said:
    My pre-pregnancy weight was 118. I am 5'7 so I was pretty thin. I am now 31 weeks and up to 141lbs. I'm also a FTM.

I haven't gained that much weight but I "feel" heavy if that makes sense. Like when I go to my OB people ask me how far along I am and I say 31 weeks, they look at me like I have sixteen heads. Most think I'm still in late first, early second trimester. 

But lately I have started to pack it on, especially in my thighs for some reason. I was circa 115lbs when I started this pregnancy, my weight has been wonky all year and I am above 130lbs now. I am 5'1, almost 5'2.  I expect to gain more weight before DD though because people have started to comment I'm getting a bit on the thick side. Any weight looks like a lot on me because of my frame. I had big boobs before starting the pregnancy but now they're like flotation devices and I cannot wait for them to go down. 

You are not alone. 
    Do unto others. 
  • I'm 32 weeks. At my 30 week midwife appt I had gained 26 pounds. I started at 110 and now weigh 136. I was told this is totally normal and they generally like to see a gain of 35-40 pounds in total.