Baby Names
Options

Which name do you like best?

JandJ62914JandJ62914 member
edited September 2015 in Baby Names
A few weeks ago we found out we are having a baby girl! Now that we know we're starting to talk more seriously about her name. Margaret will almost positively be her middle name after my mom. We seem to like "old timey, vintage kind of names. Our last name is one syllable and rhymes with June. These are the top five contenders right now. Thoughts? I appreciate it!

Which name do you like best? 191 votes

Eloise
37% 71 votes
Sadie
17% 34 votes
Olive
6% 12 votes
Hazel
16% 32 votes
Violet
17% 34 votes
Other (I'm open to other suggestions in the comments!)
4% 8 votes

Re: Which name do you like best?

• Options
    All great choices :) I voted Eloise because it's a personal fav or mine and sounds beautiful with Margaret. Congrats on your baby girl!
  • Options
    I also really like Eloise, it's not super common
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Love Eloise and Sadie! Hazel and Violet are NMS and overdone in my opinion. Olive is just a name for a gross food.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Options
    Love Sadie!

• Options
    I voted Eloise but please don't called her Ellie!!
  • Options
    I voted Violet but on second thought I don't think it works well with Margaret. If you do like Violet, you could try a variation like Viola or Violetta.
  • Options
    I voted for Sadie Margaret .....it just sounds nice together. I would also like to add Helen Margaret . I like this better then Hazel
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the opinions so far!

@eliztheforrizz Those two are the top contenders for me and my husband. I love olives though! But on the other hand, you've made me think. Do I really want to give my baby the same name as something I like in my salads? lol

@kayway85 I don't love Ellie either. I could see myself calling her Elle or Ella for short on occasion before Ellie. Thoughts on those potential NNs?
  • Options
    I like Ella as a NN.  I also like Louise or Lolo (I fully realize Lolo may not be anyone else's style, but I had a friend growing up who went by this so it's close to my heart).
  • Options
    I love all your name choices! I went with Sadie but was torn between that and Eloise. I wouldn't call her Ella though. I'm over the Ella trend and I think it ruins an awesome name.

• Options
    I like Violet best! Not the best flow with Margaret though

• Options
    I think Eloise, Sadie, and Hazel go best with Margaret.  One doesn't jump out at me over the others though.

Other ideas:
    Estelle/Estella (possible nn Stella)
    Evelyn
    Victoria

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Really great choices!
    My top two are Sadie and Hazel
  • Options
    I quite like your list. 

Violet and Hazel are lovely, but like eliz mentioned, they are becoming quite popular. Both are still on our list despite this though... 

Sadie and Eloise are very pretty too. I think I prefer Eloise out of these two. 

Olive - I get the attraction, but I can't picture a grown woman with this name. 

• Options
    R0824HR0824H member
    edited September 2015
    I know 3 dogs named Sadie so to me it's more of a pet name, I like hazel or violet

eta fixing my typo from my tabl
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Olive is only ok if it's a nickname for Olivia, IMO. I think Eloise is much, much nicer than the other names.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    Olive is only ok if it's a nickname for Olivia, IMO. I think Eloise is much, much nicer than the other names.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    I picked Eloise because that's my daughters name. But don't be surprise if some people can't pronounce it correctly (weird but it's happened).
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited September 2015
    holocene said:

Olive - I get the attraction, but I can't picture a grown woman with this name. 

That's funny to me. My daughter is going to be Olive. And she's being named after her great great grandmother, also Olive. To me, Olive has always been a name for an old lady (I was close to my great grandmother O) and at first I had trouble reconciling it with a newborn :) 

Not so much anymore but it took some mindf&&king to get my head around it.