February 2016 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinions (9/3)

Re: Unpopular Opinions (9/3)

• Options

The thought of drinking milk with dinner makes me want to barf right now tbh. Plus it's extra calories. I use organic milk or almond milk in my cereal and may have a glass with a cookie or dessert but never with a meal.
    I will never drink non-organic milk again though - nor allow my child to have. The thought of all the antibiotics in meat and dairy worry me. You can't always avoid it with meat at a restaurant but you can at home.

Don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy organic, grass-fed, antibiotic-free with all we know.

1. Because not everyone can afford that.
    2. Because those options aren't available everywhere
    3. Because "organic" is a largely unregulated label that food producers can slap on anything and don't necessarily mean "healthier."

Just a few reasons. I'm sure there are more.

The USDA actually regulates organic labeling on meat and produce and you can't just "slap" the label on anything. Maybe you're getting confused by meat that reads "All Natural" or "Free Range"- because those can be very misleading.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

@inomniaparatus, I'm just going to come out and say it. Most of your opinions come off as if you're intentionally stating your economic achievements and status on the food chain. I'm sure you realise that there are non starbucks drinking, whole foods eating people with problems greater than the contents of their glass of milk . I find it your view of the world so shallow.

You seem way more concerned with my economic status than I do.

You love to talk about it. I didn't mention anything about money. Seems like you like to pick on me for having a different lifestyle than you - maybe you should look at where those feelings are stemming from. My lifestyle will affect my opinions and my world view.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of what you post either - but rarely care enough to comment on it.

I think you come across as very self-righteous and annoying. I don't really care.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I empathize with you right now. I feel really bad that you feel so threatened. I don't want anyone to feel that way.
    I'm not going to comment anymore on this because I don't like to engage in board wars. I find it embarrassing.
    Good luck with the baby!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    VitaLuna said:

I find the "only organic , grass fed, antibiotic free milk" hilarious in light of your previous comment about eating pop tarts. Those things are nothing but junk (we don't even buy them), and organic milk doesn't cancel that out.

FWIW we only buy organic milk. I don't care if anyone else choses not to. I'd rather people spend their limited money non organic milk than soda pop any day.

I think eating things pumped with antibiotics is very different than eating sugar in moderation.
    It's all about picking your spot. I'd rather spend more in places I think it matters more. But a pop tart or the occasional small soda is ok in my opinion. But, everyone has different comfort levels.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think grass fed beef here goes for almost $20 a pound would be my guess, at least for steaks. And I'm in the Midwest w the cattle! I don't even buy the hormone-laced beef at $4 a pound lol. Rice and pasta ftw!
  • Options
    notasycophantnotasycophant member
    edited September 2015

I empathize with you right now. I feel really bad that you feel so threatened. I don't want anyone to feel that way.
    I'm not going to comment anymore on this because I don't like to engage in board wars. I find it embarrassing.
    Good luck with the baby!

Yup, totally threatened by a very myopic view of the world. :))

Edited:sp
  • Options
    AdventureMamaAdventureMama member
    edited September 2015
    The thought of drinking milk with dinner makes me want to barf right now tbh. Plus it's extra calories. I use organic milk or almond milk in my cereal and may have a glass with a cookie or dessert but never with a meal. I will never drink non-organic milk again though - nor allow my child to have. The thought of all the antibiotics in meat and dairy worry me. You can't always avoid it with meat at a restaurant but you can at home. Don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy organic, grass-fed, antibiotic-free with all we know.
    1. Because not everyone can afford that.
    2. Because those options aren't available everywhere
    3. Because "organic" is a largely unregulated label that food producers can slap on anything and don't necessarily mean "healthier."

Just a few reasons. I'm sure there are more.
    The USDA actually regulates organic labeling on meat and produce and you can't just "slap" the label on anything. Maybe you're getting confused by meat that reads "All Natural" or "Free Range"- because those can be very misleading.
    Not confused, thanks, although you're right that those other labels are also misleading. My point was that even the organic label isn't THAT well-regulated. Guidelines for, say, organic milk are still fairly obscure and there are ways around the regulations required to get the stamp of approval. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with eating organic, because there isn't. Good for you for making choices you feel are best for your family. What I have a problem with is implying judgment on people who choose not to spend double the money on products labeled as organic. Especially after, as @vitaluna pointed out, you mentioned that you eat pop-tarts. Which there's also nothing wrong with. The condescension dripping from comments like this is getting old.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    Uo: I don't think we should EVER have a gender/sex disappointment thread pinned here. If you are disappointed in masses either go check out December 15 or go make a group somewhere else!! You can be stressed, sad or whatever you want but your birth month board where there are sooooo many women with fertility issues, losses, and more is NoT the place to be sad that you're having a healthy beautiful little boy or girl over the opposite.
    Lurker*** from DEC15, that thread is the only solution they had to avoid single threads about that topic, we all still felt it was *snowflake-like* to feel dissapointed at yout babies sex.
    That's good to know. Still a sad thread. :(
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options

kris10mac said:

My UO for today: I do not understand the need for super expensive cars. Don't you just need something reliable that gets you from point A to point B? And maybe a few frills here and there if you want?

We live in a middle class subdivision (I would say the very middle of middle class) and there are SO many people driving BMWs and Mercedes and Range Rovers. I assume we're all fairly close on the income scale here and I just CANNOT see spending that much money on a vehicle.

Maybe they lease them? Ive seen really cheap deals for leasing new expensive cars ^-^
    Yeah, as @AdventureMama alluded to above...even worse if that's what they're doing.
    Pregnancy Ticker

September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall:
  • Options

But @wisco29 I'm sooo disappointed that it's not a monkey in my belly! Where should I file my grievances on species disappointment!?!?

Species disappointment! Yes! I made the joke that I wanted a puppy when I found out and people asked me what gender!! But in all seriousness I do feel for the moms that lose a baby or have fertility issues. My husband and I had an unexpected miracle happen with this pregnancy, I have PCOS, and we are way luckier than most. My whole life I wanted to be a surrogate and when I found out about my PCOS I wasn't even sad for myself, I was sad for moms like the ones we are currently talking about who need the help!
    You go guys! You CAN do this no matter how hard, there will be a way!
  • Options
    My UO is moms/dads who date someone their child is uncomfortable with. Okay I have two..
    I have to share both because they go hand in hand! It's Also parents who refuse to let their child see the OTHER parent because it makes said boyfriend/girlfriend mad. You DO NOT let another person decide how your children will live life and if their parent is unfit. Especially when the "unfit" parent hasn't dated in years because they don't want to make the children uncomfortable. Your children are always #1.

(The things I see sometimes. So glad my husband and I made a legally bound written agreement before this pregnancy happened, I feel for these poor kids, and the other parent.)
  • Options
    A little late for the milk thread but imo organic milk just taste better. I am a snob when it comes to milk, meat and eggs in my house. I won't buy anything but organic. I would rather go without then to eat nonorganic milk,eggs and meat. I don't have to go anywhere fancy like whole foods, my grocery store carries the items I need at a reasonable cost. Also, I don't drink soda and try to keep "junk" food out of the house so this is a personal preference and definitely a treat. We all have stuff we spend extra $ on, groceries just happen to be what I spend my extra $ on.
  • Options
    I don't buy much organic. I don't buy organic milk at all because I dont buy milk. Milk is disgusting to me and its cow breast milk. It's not natural to drink so I don't buy it. Also there are more important things to put my money towards like insulin, test strips and diabetic supplies. Because if I go into DKA I can die.
    What I do with my money is my business and what you do with your money is your business. If I want to give out dollar bills in blue jello to random people on the street, thats my business. Just saying.
  • Options
    Re: milk and just food in general - organic or otherwise. I'd rather spend more money on local, whole foods than freaking out if its got the right label on the package...but when I was growing up, my mom made almost everything from scratch. We hardly ever had soda, maybe like once a month when we rented a movie or something my mom would buy a 2 liter of root beer for the 5 of us. We never had fast food, unless we walked to McDonald's with our dog in the Wisconsin summer for 50 cent ice cream cones. I had never had hamburger helper until I moved in with my now H and it was his turn to cook, so like 24 years old...

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Options
    I'm a vegetarian and actually think eating muscle tissue is disgusting. But that wasn't my point. It just bugs me that most of the time, those that say drinking cow's milk is unnatural and disgusting, eat burgers/steaks/etc without any concern.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ss456 said:
    I don't buy much organic. I don't buy organic milk at all because I dont buy milk. Milk is disgusting to me and its cow breast milk. It's not natural to drink so I don't buy it. Also there are more important things to put my money towards like insulin, test strips and diabetic supplies. Because if I go into DKA I can die. What I do with my money is my business and what you do with your money is your business. If I want to give out dollar bills in blue jello to random people on the street, thats my business. Just saying.
    The argument that "milk is cow's breastmilk and it's not natural to drink" bothers me. Meat is the (cow's/chicken's/whatever's) muscle tissue. Is that also unnatural to eat? Is that disgusting? Edited for typo.
    Yes, this. I understand the argument, ish, when you're talking about babies and stopping giving them your human milk in favor of cow milk. But milk is a great source of nutrition for kids and adults. Do you drink any kind of milk, out of curiosity? Almond, soy, goat? (Not saying you have to drink milk to be healthy, obviously. Just curious).
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options

I don't buy much organic. I don't buy organic milk at all because I dont buy milk. Milk is disgusting to me and its cow breast milk. It's not natural to drink so I don't buy it. Also there are more important things to put my money towards like insulin, test strips and diabetic supplies. Because if I go into DKA I can die.
    What I do with my money is my business and what you do with your money is your business. If I want to give out dollar bills in blue jello to random people on the street, thats my business. Just saying.

I can't figure out the point of this statement...

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Options
    I don't buy much organic. I don't buy organic milk at all because I dont buy milk. Milk is disgusting to me and its cow breast milk. It's not natural to drink so I don't buy it. Also there are more important things to put my money towards like insulin, test strips and diabetic supplies. Because if I go into DKA I can die. What I do with my money is my business and what you do with your money is your business. If I want to give out dollar bills in blue jello to random people on the street, thats my business. Just saying.
    I can't figure out the point of this statement...
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    UO: Mountain Dew, coke, sprite, etc...is called pop
    Praying this is our take home baby. STICK TURKEY Mommy will miss you everyday my beautiful angel. We love you Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers M/C on 1/05/11 at 11 weeks.
  • Options
    @brushesnbrunch obviously it is that some people aren't diabetic, how could you miss it!? People who can afford organic are not diabetic.
  • Options

UO: Mountain Dew, coke, sprite, etc...is called pop

It's a regional thing just like what people call shopping carts or buggies or whatever
  • Options
    @pbtoast I agree with your overall sentiment. There is no scientific evidence that organic has health benefits; there are evidence that it's better for the environment. I buy it when I can but not always organic.

I have bigger issues with non grass fed and non pasture raised chickens/ eggs because of animal cruelty issues. And I always try to buy that. The way large companies require their contract farmers to grow their chickens is horrible. The chickens are raised basically in shipping containers while they die being trampled by each other bc they are so jam packed in there. All large corps like Tysons, smithfields and Purdue practice this.
    I watched Food,inc documentary and subsequently did a lot of research about it. That documentary ( of course all documentaries are somewhat biased) is a good starting point. It made me realize that we, as a society has become completely disassociated with how our food get on our table.
    Gmo is another hot topic. I think mostly it's fine ( seedless watermelon is also genetically modified) but I just can't get behind round up ready corn that is used as animal feed.
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options

I agree with you, @Monkeybutt80. I read the book Mad Cowboy which was extremely eye opening. It seems to me, based on my research, that the best thing to do if you're concerned about the environment, your health, and the welfare of animals, is to not eat meat at all. Next best is what you said, grass-fed, pasture-raised, and even local if you can. After reading and researching, I was vegetarian for a few years (I fell off the wagon), but even my brother, who has been vegetarian for a long time, has said that he would consider eating meat that was local and humanely-raised because his issues with meat are largely ethical and environmentally-based.

But again, I can have this information and my personal views on the "best" choices to make when it comes to food, but it's also really important to recognize that eating this way is not an option for everyone and it's not a shameful thing to buy non-organic milk so that you can afford your mortgage. That's my biggest issue with the question of why everyone "wouldn't buy organic, grass-fed, antibiotic-free with all we know."