February 2016 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinions (9/3)

Re: Unpopular Opinions (9/3)

• Options
    I think milk is nasty.
    About a year ago, I went out to brunch with a very hungover friend. She was super dehydrated and ordered a tall glass of whole milk.  I tried to keep her from downing it, but to no avail.  The whole glass came back up on the table about a minute later.  I've never looked at milk the same way.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and it hurts! Lol. Mine isn't as bad as others, it only acts up with straight milk, ice cream and shakes. Sometimes I lay on the bed curled up from the pain of the cramping. But I can't give up my ice cream!! Lol

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hate milk. I also have never put my girls on any kind of cows milk.
  • Options
    Of course, I am not saying cows milk allergy/ sensitivity does not exist, even studies show there are 2-3 %. However, in my experience on my last BMB and in real life, the number of moms who claimed milk allergy/sensitivity, despite lack of any diagnosis was much higher than 2-3 %. 

I am also a firm believer that introducing "allergy prone" food early in their lives reduces chances of developing allergies. This is just getting traction in the states and still isn't very popular, but apart from honey, which can cause botulism, I introduced nuts, eggs, strawberries and other 'allergy prone' food items early to my first. Of course, you take the precaution; the decision was largely influenced by the fact that neither of our families have any food allergies, we only introduced one at a time, only did it when we were able to keep a close eye on him for the next several hours, and didn't do it when we couldn't easily reach a doctor or an ER. 

In addition, I believe having variety of food in my diet during breastfeeding introduces variety of flavors to the infant, and it will influence the baby's palate later on. Of course, this isn't a sure fire way to make your toddler eat everything, but it's a very interesting concept. In case anyone wants to read about it; 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    I HATE that poptarts come in packs of two. I think two is too many to eat for breakfast- that's 400 calories! And, when you eat one, the one left over always gets stale. 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I HATE that poptarts come in packs of two. I think two is too many to eat for breakfast- that's 400 calories! And, when you eat one, the one left over always gets stale. 

It's perfect to share with a toddler. In a year and a half from now it will be one of your easy go to's
  • Options

Of course, I am not saying cows milk allergy/ sensitivity does not exist, even studies show there are 2-3 %. However, in my experience on my last BMB and in real life, the number of moms who claimed milk allergy/sensitivity, despite lack of any diagnosis was much higher than 2-3 %. 

I am also a firm believer that introducing "allergy prone" food early in their lives reduces chances of developing allergies. This is just getting traction in the states and still isn't very popular, but apart from honey, which can cause botulism, I introduced nuts, eggs, strawberries and other 'allergy prone' food items early to my first. Of course, you take the precaution; the decision was largely influenced by the fact that neither of our families have any food allergies, we only introduced one at a time, only did it when we were able to keep a close eye on him for the next several hours, and didn't do it when we couldn't easily reach a doctor or an ER. 

In addition, I believe having variety of food in my diet during breastfeeding introduces variety of flavors to the infant, and it will influence the baby's palate later on. Of course, this isn't a sure fire way to make your toddler eat everything, but it's a very interesting concept. In case anyone wants to read about it; 

My D's pediatrician had the same view. Introduce her to anything and everything young (besides honey). That's what we did and she so far, knock on wood, isn't allergic to anything. But neither am I or H so that may play a factor there as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    wisco29 said:

It's perfect to share with a toddler. In a year and a half from now it will be one of your easy go to's
    Mmmmmm poptarts.

• Options

I think milk is nasty.

About a year ago, I went out to brunch with a very hungover friend. She was super dehydrated and ordered a tall glass of whole milk.  I tried to keep her from downing it, but to no avail.  The whole glass came back up on the table about a minute later.  I've never looked at milk the same way.

Oh my goodness. Everyone knows milk will a belly full of alcohol is never ever, ever a good idea!! That makes me want to be sick just thinking about it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I always eat one and ziplock the other and have it the next day.
  • Options
    I don't like when people post those 2, 5, whatever how many year flashbacks on facebook. I don't care that you painted your living room then, and I don't care now. :P

Mom to Benjamin 6/2011 and Lena 5/2013; baby 3 on the way

• Options
    Yes eww milk. My mom had a lot of trouble feeding it to me as a toddler and on. My dad makes fun of me Bc I'm the shortest of my siblings. Says if I had drank milk id be tall haha.

UO: I can't do nuts or raisins with dessert. Ice cream, cake, muffins, pies, or other pastries. I think it takes away from it.
  • Options
    Jumping on the food sensitivity wagon, I hate to admit it but I kind of side-eye my own husband's food sensitivity claims.  He says he is lactose intolerant.  He won't eat anything with dairy in it (including chocolate), BUT he will eat cheese if it is on pizza.  I've heard that cooking/melting cheese can change it's chemical composition and make it more tolerable for people who normally can't eat dairy, but he won't eat any other cooked/melted cheese, just cheese on pizza.  And it doesn't matter what KIND of cheese on the pizza (real mozzerella from a fancy pizza place or mystery crap cheese from a pizza chain), he has just arbitrarily decided that if it's on pizza it's fine.  He also won't eat anything with mayonnaise in it because he insists it is somehow a dairy product.  I have tried to explain to him many times, and shown him the ingredient label to convince him that there is no dairy in mayonnaise, but he basically feels like since it looks so much like sour cream/yogurt it must somehow have dairy in it.  He got a bad stomach ache one time after eating peanut butter and now he won't eat any peanut butter or nuts.  He hasn't officially been diagnosed as lactose intolerant, but he did ask his doctor about it, who basically told him that there was no "test" for it and the way to see if you have it or not is just to eat dairy and see if it makes you sick, so I can't really fault him for not having a clear diagnosis.  I know I shouldn't really care, and it's his decision if he wants to deny himself these things, it just make him hard to cook for, and makes going out to eat or going to a friend's house who is cooking for us more complicated.  Ok.  Rant over.
  • Options
    @Twindling I hate the plasticy taste from zip locks 
    @Wisco29 - very good point! 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

@Twindling I hate the plasticy taste from zip locks 

@Wisco29 - very good point! 

I've never tasted plastic from a Baggie when I put my food in one.
    I will say if you use plastic wrap (Saran wrap) on warm food and it gets hot it definitely tastes nasty after.
  • Options

There's a huge difference between a milk allergy and lactose intolerance or insensitivity, though. I would love to see where you're getting this 2-3% because while I totally believe that's true of allergies, I'm sure the population of people who have a true sensitivity to milk is higher than that. Milk allergy is an allergy to the proteins in milk, while a sensitivity has to do with not being able to digest lactose and it's pretty common, especially in middle aged people and infants.

I just read a study about introducing allergens earlier in a kid's life and it was really interesting to me. It makes a lot of sense, but I'm terrified of introducing nuts at all to our second child, since DS has a very very severe tree nut allergy. I suppose we'll talk to our pedi and DS's allergist to see what we need to do. No one in either of our families has a nut allergy so it was completely out of left field. We gave him a smear of PB after his first birthday (his second exposure, his first was a half of a Reese's PB cup that I was eating a few weeks before that) and he broke out in hives and then started having trouble breathing and we had to take him to the ER, where they took one look at him and admitted him immediately. It was terrifying. I don't want to go through that again.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    cantobean said:
    Oh, and my UO: we should pay servers a livable wage and do away with tipping altogether.
    I agree, I think in general everyone should make a living wage so there's that... and I also think a lot of people really suck at tipping because somehow they think people who make tips are "entitled" and don't deserve more than their company pays them. So yeah.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    @AdventureMama that's what was confusing me, whether a protein sensitivity is considered an allergy. Thanks for clarifying.

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• Options
    @adventuremama oh I agree, there is a huge difference between cow's milk allergy and being lactose intolerant (which you call sensitivity). I am Asian and most Asians are lactose intolerant including most of my family members. 
    The percentage I am talking about is only relating to cow's milk allergy not lactose intolerance.
     But if your kid is lactose intolerant, cutting out cow's milk from your diet won't reduce the amount of lactose in your breastmilk. Breastmilk, whether you drink cow's milk or not, has lactose, as it is the main carbohydrate that make up the breastmilk.
    So now I am confused as to your point... maybe I am not understanding what you are saying. My UO had to do with people unnecessarily cutting out cow's milk from their diet thinking their infant is allergic to protein in cow's milk. But if the infant is lactose intolerant ( and I don not know the stats on that, other than there are several ethnicity that are mostly lactose intolerant), then cutting cow's milk out of their diet won't help that situation. 

imageimage
  • Options
    @adventuremama oh I agree, there is a huge difference between cow's milk allergy and being lactose intolerant (which you call sensitivity). I am Asian and most Asians are lactose intolerant including most of my family members. 
    The percentage I am talking about is only relating to cow's milk allergy not lactose intolerance.
     But if your kid is lactose intolerant, cutting out cow's milk from your diet won't reduce the amount of lactose in your breastmilk. Breastmilk, whether you drink cow's milk or not, has lactose, as it is the main carbohydrate that make up the breastmilk.
    So now I am confused as to your point... maybe I am not understanding what you are saying. My UO had to do with people unnecessarily cutting out cow's milk from their diet thinking their infant is allergic to protein in cow's milk. But if the infant is lactose intolerant ( and I don not know the stats on that, other than there are several ethnicity that are mostly lactose intolerant), then cutting cow's milk out of their diet won't help that situation. 

Ok I see what you're saying. I thought you were challenging the fact that many newborns do have lactose sensitivities. I didn't know cutting it out of your diet as a BFing mom wouldn't help (is that really true?), now your point make sense to me.
    I don't have a dairy sensitive kid so I never had to worry about that, thank goodness. I love milk and cheese so much it'd be hard to give it up!
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    Twindling said:

I'm not discrediting anyone here. I think it would be incredibly difficult. Being a married parent is incredibly difficult to.

I think too many people confuse single parenting with co parenting. In my eyes, they are two very different things.

Idk. I just have always wondered what the women who are truly single (no 50-50, no child support, no involvement from anyone else) think of the women who have all that and still consider themselves single.

As someone who was a single mom (no child support, no visitation, no help from my DD's dad at all) I don't care. It's a broad label. I don't think of it anymore than that.
  • Options
    Monkeybutt80Monkeybutt80 member
    edited September 2015

Ok I see what you're saying. I thought you were challenging the fact that many newborns do have lactose sensitivities. I didn't know cutting it out of your diet as a BFing mom wouldn't help (is that really true?), now your point make sense to me.
    I don't have a dairy sensitive kid so I never had to worry about that, thank goodness. I love milk and cheese so much it'd be hard to give it up!
    ---------------- edited: quote fail-----
    I see. No, I wasn't saying lactose intolerance is uncommon. It's my understanding that lactose is in milk produced by all mammals, and it's not something one can reduce by diet.
    Luckily, like yours, mine isn't allergic or lactose intolerant so there's always lots of milk, cheese and ice cream at our house also!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I love milk! I guess that's an UO here? Lately though I've been obcessed with Organic Valley chocolate milk. So yummy, like melted ice cream.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This may really get me flamed but along the same idea as everyone claiming to be allergic to gluten (not talking about the diagnosed ones), you may notice that once march/ april hits, A LOT of moms will say that their infant is allergic to milk and that's why they are fussy/ colic. I once read that the true milk allergy rate is only 2-3 % in infants, but I remember in my last BMB what seemed like about half the moms claimed that their babies were fussy because of milk allergy without any diagnosis and cut out dairy from their own diet while breastfeeding. Babies are fussy; some more than others but that does not automatically mean that they are allergic to cows milk. 

Dairy intolerance is real, though, and different from a true allergy I believe. Like MSPI? It's usually something kids grow out of, too.

My DD had a milk protein allergy so she had to be on special formula per her Ped. It's not fun at all! We went through 2 other formulas until we got her on the right one because her Ped thought she had just acid reflux and other GI issues. My DD did outgrow it, thank goodness but I can't imagine people saying that if their doctor didn't tell them that is what the issue is. People can be stupid. I want mint ice cream now...
  • Options
    ss456 said:

I love milk! I guess that's an UO here? Lately though I've been obcessed with Organic Valley chocolate milk. So yummy, like melted ice cream.

I love milk too!! I think it's weird that people don't want to have a glass of milk with their dinner and drink a soda, or anything else instead. Maybe that's because I grew up drinking milk with dinner. Nice BIG glass of just milk! Real milk.

I can't wait to be able to have a huge glass of milk again and have it not make the baby or myself sick!
  • Options
    acuteanglesacuteangles member
    edited September 2015
    wisco29 said: I love milk! I guess that's an UO here? Lately though I've been obcessed with Organic Valley chocolate milk. So yummy, like melted ice cream. I love milk too!! I think it's weird that people don't want to have a glass of milk with their dinner and drink a soda, or anything else instead. Maybe that's because I grew up drinking milk with dinner. Nice BIG glass of just milk! Real milk. I can't wait to be able to have a huge glass of milk again and have it not make the baby or myself sick!

Lol, aren't you from Wisconsin?  I would think you'd be driven out of your state by an angry mob if you
    didn't love milk!

• Options
    I love Milk too! I have a huge glass after dinner most nights when I'm feeling up to it. I only drink full cream though, I can't stand the taste of low fat milk.
  • Options
    wisco29 said:

ss456 said:

I love milk too!! I think it's weird that people don't want to have a glass of milk with their dinner and drink a soda, or anything else instead. Maybe that's because I grew up drinking milk with dinner. Nice BIG glass of just milk! Real milk.

I can't wait to be able to have a huge glass of milk again and have it not make the baby or myself sick!
    I grew up drinking milk with dinner but I still hate it. Always have. It always tastes like it's turning and coats my mouth and leaves a gross taste in my mouth. Ugh
  • Options
    egraves4egraves4 member
    edited September 2015
    I have a 2 door scion that I bought when I was 19. I LOVE this car, and it's been fantastic not having a car payment for several years. It's 10 years old and super reliable. BUT, I am going to have to bite the bullet and get an suv soon. The idea of trying to pay off some credit card debt, have a car payment AND be out with baby is freaking me the H out!

I'm the same way!  I had a 2 door hatchback yaris.  It was a stick shift and I loved it, got great gas mileage, worked for me.  But I ended up getting a Kia Soul a month ago because it wasn't realistic with a baby coming.  With the car seat, the tiny enough space, and the safety concerns, I'm happy I ended up trading it in.  Although I hate how SO and I now both have car payments, I'm leasing the car for 3 years and I'm only pay $109 month - totally manageable.  
    ****ETA Quote fail

While I'm at it @DaisyTortilla I'm the same as you!  It runs in my family.  Pretty much everyone on my mom's side has some type of stomach problem.  Hers isn't directly related to lactose, neither is mine, so we were both diagnosed with IBS.  But, I'm the same way with heavy creams (like whole milk), milkshakes, Blizzards (the saddest of them all), but I'm good with lighter dairy like cheese, light  yogurts, and the occasional bowl of store bought ice cream.

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Options
    I'd be a healthier person if I drank milk. Just don't like it.

We always drank calcium-fortified orange juice with dinner when I was a kid, which my husband thought was really weird (he was Team Milk).
  • Options
    @cantobean My SO thought I was weird when I bought the calcum-fortified orange juice.  He thinks it tastes weird... I really can't tell a difference. 

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Options

H thinks I'm weird because I grew up on a diary farm and we all drink ice water with our meals and he grew up, not farming, drinking milk with his meals.  He still drinks milk with breakfast and supper.  The only time I drink milk is the rare occasion I have a bowl of cereal or sometimes when I have Chipotle.  H says I need to drink more milk for the calcium, but I say I get enough from cheese, yogurt, and ice cream.

Moving off the food track my UO is I do not understand everyone's obsession with The Big Bang Theory.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

My UO is that I will actively discourage (I don't want to say "won't allow", but...) my children to play football. I'm cool with almost any activity or sport they want to do, but football is incredibly dangerous and while I enjoy watching it on TV, I would not want to let my child participate. We'll see if they're even interested. I hope not! Baseball, anyone? Dance? Track? :)

*Of course other sports offer a possibility of getting injured, but nothing like football, where you're intentionally letting your child get tackled on a regular basis. The amount of head injuries alone is enough to give me pause.
    I am totally with you. My husband has other opinions. A pediatrician did tell me that he sees way more concussions and serious injuries in children/teens from soccer then football. I think he said it was due to a lack of protective gear in soccer while still being a very physical sport. Maybe I can get my kid into swimming ... Worse case scenario is some worn out shoulders. Swim meets can be hella boring to watch though.
  • Options

H thinks I'm weird because I grew up on a diary farm and we all drink ice water with our meals and he grew up, not farming, drinking milk with his meals.  He still drinks milk with breakfast and supper.  The only time I drink milk is the rare occasion I have a bowl of cereal or sometimes when I have Chipotle.  H says I need to drink more milk for the calcium, but I say I get enough from cheese, yogurt, and ice cream.

Moving off the food track my UO is I do not understand everyone's obsession with The Big Bang Theory.

I am also going to agree with you on The Big Bang Theory. It's just not funny to me. Can we bring back 30 Rock/Liz Lemon, please?! TV is sad right now.
  • Options
    AdventureMamaAdventureMama member
    edited September 2015
    My UO is that I will actively discourage (I don't want to say "won't allow", but...) my children to play football. I'm cool with almost any activity or sport they want to do, but football is incredibly dangerous and while I enjoy watching it on TV, I would not want to let my child participate. We'll see if they're even interested. I hope not! Baseball, anyone? Dance? Track? :)

*Of course other sports offer a possibility of getting injured, but nothing like football, where you're intentionally letting your child get tackled on a regular basis. The amount of head injuries alone is enough to give me pause.
    I am totally with you. My husband has other opinions. A pediatrician did tell me that he sees way more concussions and serious injuries in children/teens from soccer then football. I think he said it was due to a lack of protective gear in soccer while still being a very physical sport. Maybe I can get my kid into swimming ... Worse case scenario is some worn out shoulders. Swim meets can be hella boring to watch though.
    Eeek, yes, I really wish they wore protective gear (at LEAST a lightweight helmet) in soccer. DH's cousin has had eleven (ELEVEN) concussions from indoor soccer as an adult. And she still plays when her doctor lets her...

I am also on Team Milk over here. I drink it every single day. I have cereal for breakfast and there are some dinners I just have to drink milk with. I also drink a ton of ice water and hot cocoa when it's cold. I never drink soda, juice, or coffee.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    The thought of drinking milk with dinner makes me want to barf right now tbh. Plus it's extra calories. I use organic milk or almond milk in my cereal and may have a glass with a cookie or dessert but never with a meal.
    I will never drink non-organic milk again though - nor allow my child to have. The thought of all the antibiotics in meat and dairy worry me. You can't always avoid it with meat at a restaurant but you can at home.

Don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy organic, grass-fed, antibiotic-free with all we know.

Pregnancy Ticker