February 2016 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinions (9/3)

Re: Unpopular Opinions (9/3)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My UO is that I will actively discourage (I don't want to say "won't allow", but...) my children to play football. I'm cool with almost any activity or sport they want to do, but football is incredibly dangerous and while I enjoy watching it on TV, I would not want to let my child participate. We'll see if they're even interested. I hope not! Baseball, anyone? Dance? Track? :)

*Of course other sports offer a possibility of getting injured, but nothing like football, where you're intentionally letting your child get tackled on a regular basis. The amount of head injuries alone is enough to give me pause.
    I never even thought about it before I had my first, but when my husband and I were talking about signing our 2 year old up for some sort of fall league (we will probably do soccer), he flat out said no football. EVER. I never knew pee wee football also does tackle. In my naive head, I thought they did touch football or flag football. Apparently, it's full on contact, even at that age. Once I heard about that, I 100% agreed with my husband. 
    Tackle football that early??? Yikes! I can't imagine. I wonder how soccer injuries compare. At least they aren't intentionally running into each other... :/ My H and I both played soccer for many many years and we'd love to see our kids play. 
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    VitaLuna said:
    My UO.. I often do a mental eye roll when I see people talking about being "gluten intolerant" or "gluten free". Yes, there are people with legitimate allergies (i.e.. celiac disease), but I feel like the majority of people are following some trend/fad that they think is healthier (news flash, cookies are still cookies, whether they're gluten free or not!) I feel bad for people that are legitimately allergic (diagnosed by a doctor) that their illness is minimized by a bunch of people thinking it's "cool" to be GF.
    My husband is intolerant (so is his mom and one of his brothers, the other refuses to get tested) and it's really frustrating when people are like, "But for real, though? Like you could have a little bit right?" Um, nope. It sucks when people assume he's doing it for fun or because it's a fad. If you knew my husband and how much he loves food, you know he'd never do it just because.
    I will say the other side of this is that because more and more people are following the trend (for whatever reason), there has been a huge jump in the availability of GF products and offerings at restaurants, which is awesome.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options

@wisco29  what is that?!? I have never seen pizza that is filled in the middle with toppings like that. To me, a stuffed pizza is a calzone, but this is something I have never seen. I am intrigued and kinda grossed out at the same time :)  

Papa murphys stuffed pizza. I couldn't find a pic of the big Murphy but that one is close! They are delicious mmmmm! You only need one slice they are very filling
  • Options
    acuteanglesacuteangles member
    edited September 2015
    AdventureMama said: VitaLuna said: My UO.. I often do a mental eye roll when I see people talking about being "gluten intolerant" or "gluten free". Yes, there are people with legitimate allergies (i.e.. celiac disease), but I feel like the majority of people are following some trend/fad that they think is healthier (news flash, cookies are still cookies, whether they're gluten free or not!) I feel bad for people that are legitimately allergic (diagnosed by a doctor) that their illness is minimized by a bunch of people thinking it's "cool" to be GF. My husband is intolerant (so is his mom and one of his brothers, the other refuses to get tested) and it's really frustrating when people are like, "But for real, though? Like you could have a little bit right?" Um, nope. It sucks when people assume he's doing it for fun or because it's a fad. If you knew my husband and how much he loves food, you know he'd never do it just because.
    I will say the other side of this is that because more and more people are following the trend (for whatever reason), there has been a huge jump in the availability of GF products and offerings at restaurants, which is awesome.

I'm split on this.  I agree with @adventuremama that the availability increase has been really advantageous for people who actually suffer from some sort of gluten intolerance.  One of my best friends was diagnosed with celiac disease over a decade ago, before the gluten-free craze, and her life has gotten a lot easier since it's become popular, too.  We can eat out almost anywhere now and she has options.  However, I'm not a fan of people self-diagnosing their gluten intolerance.  I think as a society we probably consume too much gluten, and we should step back and consider what we are putting in our bodies, but that is true of a lot of foods.  There are plenty of health benefits to eating a
    moderate amount of unprocessed gluten  products if you do not have an intolerance or allergy.  If you have a legitimate medical health issue, absolutely you should abstain.  Otherwise, ask your doctor before you start haphazardly cutting things out of your diet.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Here's my UO. 

I lived up north (NY& CT) for 8 years and now have been in VA for 12 years. In my opinion the south does not have good bread products. Bagels and pizza down here are horrible; subs/hoagies aren't much better, but no one here (other than northern transplants) seem to notice the difference. Pizzas down here are doughy awful mess. and bagels are pretty much just dense bread shaped like bagels. 
    Of course, on the other hand it's hard to find good grits, greens, spoon bread or biscuits up north, but I really miss good pizza. 
    bad pizza: image
    Good pizza: image

I agreed until you said that pizza shit, lol. I love doughy pizza!!! The thick crust is my favorite part, lol.
    Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
    BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

VitaLuna said:

My UO.. I often do a mental eye roll when I see people talking about being "gluten intolerant" or "gluten free". Yes, there are people with legitimate allergies (i.e.. celiac disease), but I feel like the majority of people are following some trend/fad that they think is healthier (news flash, cookies are still cookies, whether they're gluten free or not!) I feel bad for people that are legitimately allergic (diagnosed by a doctor) that their illness is minimized by a bunch of people thinking it's "cool" to be GF.

My husband is intolerant (so is his mom and one of his brothers, the other refuses to get tested) and it's really frustrating when people are like, "But for real, though? Like you could have a little bit right?" Um, nope. It sucks when people assume he's doing it for fun or because it's a fad. If you knew my husband and how much he loves food, you know he'd never do it just because.

I'm split on this.  I agree with @adventuremama that the availability increase has been really advantageous for people who actually suffer from some sort of gluten intolerance.  One of my best friends was diagnosed with celiac disease over a decade ago, before the gluten-free craze, and her life has gotten a lot easier since it's become popular, too.  We can eat out almost anywhere now and she has options.  However, I'm not a fan of people self-diagnosing their gluten intolerance.  I think as a society we probably consume too much gluten, and we should step back and consider what we are putting in our bodies, but that is true of a lot of foods.  There are plenty of health benefits to eating a moderate amount of unprocessed gluten  products if you do not have an intolerance or allergy.  If you have a legitimate medical health issue, absolutely you should abstain.  Otherwise, ask your doctor before you start haphazardly cutting things out of your diet.

I'm with you on this. DH's grandmother has celiac and she's able to find a lot of substitutes now because of it becoming a craze. I agree that people need to stop self-diagnosing. I've actually seen that people who go gluten-free and aren't actually intolerant tend to gain weight, which cracks me up. Karma does its thing haha
  • Options
    I love Five Guys!! Though your opinion of Five Guys is exactly my opinion of In-N-Out, lol
    Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
    BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Oh all the talk of NY style pizza. We can't find any around here in so cal and that's all i've been craving lately but we do have Little Cesars pretzel pizza, proly UO for many but its delish, it tastes like you're eating a pretzel with nacho cheese
  • Options
    acuteanglesacuteangles member
    edited September 2015
    VitaLuna said:

I'm split on this.  I agree with @adventuremama that the availability increase has been really advantageous for people who actually suffer from some sort of gluten intolerance.  One of my best friends was diagnosed with celiac disease over a decade ago, before the gluten-free craze, and her life has gotten a lot easier since it's become popular, too.  We can eat out almost anywhere now and she has options.  However, I'm not a fan of people self-diagnosing their gluten intolerance.  I think as a society we probably consume too much gluten, and we should step back and consider what we are putting in our bodies, but that is true of a lot of foods.  There are plenty of health benefits to eating a moderate amount of unprocessed gluten  products if you do not have an intolerance or allergy.  If you have a legitimate medical health issue, absolutely you should abstain.  Otherwise, ask your doctor before you start haphazardly cutting things out of your diet. I'm with you on this. DH's grandmother has celiac and she's able to find a lot of substitutes now because of it becoming a craze. I agree that people need to stop self-diagnosing. I've actually seen that people who go gluten-free and aren't actually intolerant tend to gain weight, which cracks me up. Karma does its thing haha

I know!  I don't think there are all the weight loss benefits people think there are.  The substitutions often carry more calories and fat. And @adventuremama - I just reread this and saw that your husband will not get tested, and I'm not trying to imply that he's faking it or lying.  I am more annoyed with the 90 lb always-on-their-way-to-yoga women that prance around Whole Foods and proclaim their diet restriction of the month than those who have tried the gluten free lifestyle and have found marked health improvements.

• Options
    I don't like sprinkles on my ice cream.

If it's on my cake or on a cookie it doesn't bother me but they just stand out too much on ice cream!

No idea what made me think of this.

• Options
    @Sprinkles07 um yes I second that. Our rent for a tiny 2 bedroom house is $900 a month and that's actually dirt cheap for our area
  • Options
    AdventureMamaAdventureMama member
    edited September 2015
    VitaLuna said:

I'm split on this.  I agree with @adventuremama that the availability increase has been really advantageous for people who actually suffer from some sort of gluten intolerance.  One of my best friends was diagnosed with celiac disease over a decade ago, before the gluten-free craze, and her life has gotten a lot easier since it's become popular, too.  We can eat out almost anywhere now and she has options.  However, I'm not a fan of people self-diagnosing their gluten intolerance.  I think as a society we probably consume too much gluten, and we should step back and consider what we are putting in our bodies, but that is true of a lot of foods.  There are plenty of health benefits to eating a moderate amount of unprocessed gluten  products if you do not have an intolerance or allergy.  If you have a legitimate medical health issue, absolutely you should abstain.  Otherwise, ask your doctor before you start haphazardly cutting things out of your diet.
    I'm with you on this. DH's grandmother has celiac and she's able to find a lot of substitutes now because of it becoming a craze. I agree that people need to stop self-diagnosing. I've actually seen that people who go gluten-free and aren't actually intolerant tend to gain weight, which cracks me up. Karma does its thing haha

I know!  I don't think there are all the weight loss benefits people think there are.  The substitutions often carry more calories and fat. And @adventuremama - I just reread this and saw that your husband will not get tested, and I'm not trying to imply that he's faking it or lying.  I am more annoyed with the 90 lb always-on-their-way-to-yoga women that prance around Whole Foods and proclaim their diet restriction of the month than those who have tried the gluten free lifestyle and have found marked health improvements.

--------------edit quote fail-----------------

To clarify, my husband has been tested and is definitely gluten intolerant. One of his brothers will not get tested even though he should, because he doesn't want to stop eating it. Sorry for the confusion.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    @mamacastro - I live in Iowa and our mortgage on a 5 bed/2 bath home is just over $900! I know we live in a very low standard of living though.

@kris10mac - I agree, I drive an '08 Sorento, it's a good reliable car but my husband drives an older car. Once mine is paid off next year, we will be getting a new one for him but we can't afford 2 car payments on top of daycare and our mortgage! I'd rather have a nicer home than car any day.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

@Sprinkles07 um yes I second that. Our rent for a tiny 2 bedroom house is $900 a month and that's actually dirt cheap for our area

Our rent is just under that here and it's a tiny 2 bedroom just out of the city. If we lived in the city we would be paying 9-$1200 for essentially the same thing in a good neighborhood.
  • Options
    @ashcody2 I wouldn't mind paying that much for your house and I don't think its a low standard of living at all :)
    @wisco29 same here, the going rate for our house is average no less than $1200 we only got the rent for $900 because the landlord got to know us and wanted to help us out. California overcharges and everything is too high here my H and I want to leave this state as soon as we can afford to
  • Options
    wisco29 said:
    Our rent is just under that here and it's a tiny 2 bedroom just out of the city. If we lived in the city we would be paying 9-$1200 for essentially the same thing in a good neighborhood.
    I hate all of you.  I am not even going to tell you what we pay in rent for our tiny two-bedroom, rent controlled apartment.  It's egregious.  But then I think salaries are typically proportionate to the cost of living in the area, so it all evens out.   

• Options

I 100% agree about expensive cars. I am very vain in many ways, but when it comes to cars, I just want something reliable and low maintenance. My current car is going to be 10 years old in 3 days (bought it on my 25th birthday - didn't plan it that way but I totaled my previous car a couple of days before in an accident), and I get weird comments from colleagues and friends that I should really drive a nicer car.
     A lot of people think that it's a symbol of status and I know a lot of my friends lease luxury cars and replace it every 2 years. One of my friend almost bought a Jag while living in a rental?!? He tried to justify it by saying that he will get more clients because they will think he is successful. I told him that is the dumbest thing I had ever heard. My car is still running and I haven't had a car payment in years and my insurance is super low! I will drive this one until it needs some major repair that I can't justify for the price of the car. 

My car just had its 10th birthday too! ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker

September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall:
  • Options
    @kris10mac happy belated birthday to your car  :) 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options

Twindling said:

I'm probably going to get a lot of backlash for this but perhaps someone can change my views ;)

I think the term "single mom" is used much too loosely. If you get your kids 50-60% of the time and receive a lump sum of child support....I don't really consider you a single mom (other than the obvious that you aren't currently seeing someone).

This mainly stems from my male BFF who gets his daughter 50-50 and pays mom $580 a month (more than our mortgage) in child support and she's always going on and on about how hard it is being a single mom.

Some days I would really love being a single mom. *gasp*

Ummm want to trade mortgages!? Ours is almost double that...
    Lol we also have a 1100sq ft 2bd 1.5 bath home in a mediocre iowa neighborhood.
  • Options
    kris10mac said:

I 100% agree about expensive cars. I am very vain in many ways, but when it comes to cars, I just want something reliable and low maintenance. My current car is going to be 10 years old in 3 days (bought it on my 25th birthday - didn't plan it that way but I totaled my previous car a couple of days before in an accident), and I get weird comments from colleagues and friends that I should really drive a nicer car.
     A lot of people think that it's a symbol of status and I know a lot of my friends lease luxury cars and replace it every 2 years. One of my friend almost bought a Jag while living in a rental?!? He tried to justify it by saying that he will get more clients because they will think he is successful. I told him that is the dumbest thing I had ever heard. My car is still running and I haven't had a car payment in years and my insurance is super low! I will drive this one until it needs some major repair that I can't justify for the price of the car. 

My car just had its 10th birthday too! ;)

My husband has you both beat.  He has the same car he bought in college, which he's had for nearly 20 years.  He works from home and doesn't need to drive much, so there's really no need to replace it.  My mom totally side-eyes his car and often expresses concern about our financial stability, and I know this is in direct relation to our choice in vehicles (she upgrades her car every 3 or so years).  I think she believes that if we could afford to, we would upgrade.  I just replaced my own 10-year-old car last year because it finally bit the dust.  We live in a very walk / bike friendly neighborhood, so we don't drive much period. I find it interesting how people will often judge you on the vehicle you drive, as though it is a direct determinate of your financial prosperity.  We could upgrade either of our cars, but I agree with you both - what's the point?  I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.  Our cars are safe and they run, so that's enough for us.  Plus, if I had a fancy car, I'd always worry about people hitting it, grocery carts bumping into it, etc.!  Who wants the stress?

• Options
    VitaLuna said:
    To the above gluten replies (keeping the quote tree cut).. I had a coworker that went on and on about how she was gluten intolerant because she started eating gluten free and "felt better and lost weight". You know why? You were eating crappy processed food and fast food every day, and now you "can't" eat it.. Of course you feel better! I also love it when people say they're gluten intolerant and then eat a donut with the excuse of "oh, I can have a little sometimes". No. You're not gluten intolerant, then. It's people like that that screw people like your husband and his family, @AdventureMama
    Agreed. And another aspect of this problem is that with everyone claiming they're intolerant when they really aren't is that waiters at restaurants start to think it's no big deal if there is cross contamination or a "little bit of gluten" in something, like a seasoning or something. We've had people say, "Yeah, that's gluten free. Well, there's a little gluten in the dressing, but that's ok right?" Ummm NO!
    My in laws decided they were gluten intolerant because they wanted to be (beyond me) and gave away all of their gluten containing products to us for free. They started saying the next day that they were better and everything was great - I couldn't stop myself from explaining that if you are truly intolerant and have suddenly cut it out your body takes days sometimes weeks, to process what is left and get it out before your symptoms go away. I caused huge drama pointing this out but I just couldn't this stuff gets me so upset.

Needless to say we are three months later and everyone eats gluten again and miraculously has no symptoms! Surprise!
    Feb'16 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite thing about fall

Married 05/2014
    FTM

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a 2 door scion that I bought when I was 19. I LOVE this car, and it's been fantastic not having a car payment for several years. It's 10 years old and super reliable. BUT, I am going to have to bite the bullet and get an suv soon. The idea of trying to pay off some credit card debt, have a car payment AND be out with baby is freaking me the H out!
  • Options
    strlitemissstrlitemiss member
    edited September 2015
    I love my car! I don't ever want to replace it, even if it's 20 years old. It gets the same gas mileage as an newer suv,has less mileage on the motor then any new car I could afford and I find could find parts in the junk yard for so cheap. Of course it's safe and reliable.
  • Options
    This may really get me flamed but along the same idea as everyone claiming to be allergic to gluten (not talking about the diagnosed ones), you may notice that once march/ april hits, A LOT of moms will say that their infant is allergic to milk and that's why they are fussy/ colic. I once read that the true milk allergy rate is only 2-3 % in infants, but I remember in my last BMB what seemed like about half the moms claimed that their babies were fussy because of milk allergy without any diagnosis and cut out dairy from their own diet while breastfeeding. Babies are fussy; some more than others but that does not automatically mean that they are allergic to cows milk. 

This!! My SIL had a whole list of foods that she claimed her LO was allergic to, now that they are on solids they most certainly are not! It was milk, tomatoes, pepper, garlic, wheat, and potatoes. Cooking for her was a pain in the butt. Her baby had acid reflux and no matter how many times the ped doc told her thats what it was she refused to listen.

The food can change the acidity and the flavors of the breast milk which some babies won't like - completely real - not an allergy.
    Feb'16 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite thing about fall

Married 05/2014
    FTM

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I'm probably going to get a lot of backlash for this but perhaps someone can change my views ;) I think the term "single mom" is used much too loosely. If you get your kids 50-60% of the time and receive a lump sum of child support....I don't really consider you a single mom (other than the obvious that you aren't currently seeing someone). This mainly stems from my male BFF who gets his daughter 50-50 and pays mom $580 a month (more than our mortgage) in child support and she's always going on and on about how hard it is being a single mom. Some days I would really love being a single mom. *gasp*
    Ummm want to trade mortgages!? Ours is almost double that...

double that is still 1/3 in what I pay for RENT. I'm way jealous!! NYC rents start at over 3k/month for a 1 bedroom 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This may really get me flamed but along the same idea as everyone claiming to be allergic to gluten (not talking about the diagnosed ones), you may notice that once march/ april hits, A LOT of moms will say that their infant is allergic to milk and that's why they are fussy/ colic. I once read that the true milk allergy rate is only 2-3 % in infants, but I remember in my last BMB what seemed like about half the moms claimed that their babies were fussy because of milk allergy without any diagnosis and cut out dairy from their own diet while breastfeeding. Babies are fussy; some more than others but that does not automatically mean that they are allergic to cows milk. 

Dairy intolerance is real, though, and different from a true allergy I believe. Like MSPI? It's usually something kids grow out of, too.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options

Re: cars, I have a relatively inexpensive, 2010 model year car that I don't care much about. It gets me to and from work and has pretty good gas mileage. I used to think the same way as many PP about luxury cars (waste of money) until I drove my SO's really nice car and learned how fun it is to drive. Driving my little Ford, I had no idea that some people on the road could accelerate that fast! Ha! I think I would still have a hard time justifying spending an absurd amount of money on a fancy car for myself because I don't want to take on any car payments right now, but I must admit that my eyes were opened to the appeal of luxury cars. I guess it depends on how you value things, though. Like, I know some people would rather have cool experiences than cool "things." I have a neighbor who drives a 90s Honda Accord and just spent 5 weeks in Europe, for example. I think one thing I'd rather spend money on is stuff for the house, where I spend a lot more time than the car. But I guess some others would rather have a fun car to drive.

Re: food, I used to know this really annoying woman who would always claim she was "vegan" and would never eat anything at group gatherings because nothing was suitable for her dietary restrictions. But I also know that she would eat at this Mexican restaurant in our town every single night (ew) and know that 1. pretty much everything there has meat in it, and 2. EVERYTHING is slathered in cheese. I know people who have serious intolerances as well as strongly-held beliefs about eating animal products, and I completely respect that and know how important it is to find food that you can eat. But when people are super hypocritical or seem to be doing it just for fun (like the "gluten intolerances") it drives me nuts. I also hate when people make a huge deal out of it when they are at an event where food is served. I was vegetarian for a few years but would always just quietly find what I could eat at an event so that I didn't offend anyone or put a lot of attention on myself.

Also, I am having a really a hard time coming up with a UO today. I feel like I have so many and am blanking!

• Options
    MamaFroFroMamaFroFro member
    edited September 2015

There are other things besides milk allergies. I don't think it's uncommon for newborns to have a sensitivity to cow milk proteins. Not an allergy, just harder for baby to digest. Baby could suffer from tummy aches as a result and be grumpy. My son's poop was too liquidy and discolored and he seemed very uncomfortable. Lactation consultants had me ax dairy and problem solved! I slowly added dairy back as my son got older and he became more tolerant as time passed. He has milk all the time now and no issues. I think the protein sensitivity is much more common than an allergy.

ETA I just googled it and I guess a sensitivity is considered the same as an allergy? I never really considered my son allergic to cow's milk though.  And the stat I read is the same as yours, 2-3%. I am assuming this baby will have the same issue though so I still plan to cut out dairy at about 36 weeks just in case. I feel better when I don't consume dairy anyways.

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• Options
    I hate milk unless it's chocolate or in cereal!
  • Options
    I will take a glass of homemade almond milk over cows milk any day!!! I can't stand the store bought stuff though.

But cheese is a hard one for me to quit.

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!