November 2015 Moms
Options

NBR: Smartphones

grapesoda1111grapesoda1111 member
edited September 2015 in November 2015 Moms
My plan is up and so is DH's so we are thinking of switching phone companies. I have AT&T, he has Verizon. We are going to look into Sprint (they have good coverage in our area). 
I was really set on the iPhone 6+, but I was looking, and Samsung also makes some great phones like the S6, and the S6 edge and the edge plus. 
Any opinions on what phone you have or what phone you like? I have the iphone 4s now, which I have loved until it started taking a shit (I dropped it in water) and I cracked the screen. No problems with it otherwise. I also like the Lifeproof nuud case they make for the iphone 6 plus.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: NBR: Smartphones

• Options
    I know it's not the "newest" one but I actually recommend the Samsung GALAXY S5. It's waterproof, has a replaceable battery and the ability to add a storage space. It also has a "kids mode" that's awesome with my toddler. I've also heard great things about the LG G4. But i don't know a lot of specifics on it.
  • Options
    I have a 5s. I like it, but I'll be going back to being a droid girl as soon as humanly possible. I will say that the newer lifeproof cases aren't as sturdy as the previous ones. My lifeproof case (on my replacement one already) took a giant shit in no time flat and my SO's for his droid took a shit in even less time than mine did.

Also, what tore my original case up was baby slobber.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the Samsung Galaxy and now have the new iPhone. I would never go back! I love my iPhone! I think it's more user friendly than the galaxy was. I also have the otterbox to help protect it. It's worth the money especially bc my DD plays games on it sometimes.
  • Options
    I should add, I like simple phones. I think droids and the samsung phones are confusing. I'm sure I could get used to it and learn all its features, I just like how simple the iphones are. But I don't want that to be the only reason I get the iphone.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have the 6+ and LOVE it.
  • Options
    I have the iPhone 6 and while I love it, it feels huge to me and is actually hard to hold because it's so big. I can't imagine owning the mammoth that is the 6+
  • Options
    If you want a simple phone, go with the iPhone. I'm an android girl myself and cannot wait for my upgrade to come so I can get the lg g4 (currently have the g3). However, if simple is what you're looking for, go with Apple.
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • Options
    I would advise against the samasung edge just because they really don't have a case that can protect it without losing the functionality of the curved edge screen. That is why I decided against and just went with the S6.

I would also say stick with AT&T or Verizon. My H had sprint before getting on my plan and it wasn't bad in area we lived, but any time we ventured 30 min outside the city or traveled his services was shot. It is worth it to me to spend a little extra and have reliable service.
  • Options
    I love the iPhone6+
    At first, it feels a bit large, but then you get used to it. I really only use it for the web and texting.
  • Options
    I'm pretty happy with my galaxy s5.  Other than Google wanting to get its tentacles into everything, its easy for me to navigate and do what i need out of a phone.  Also, I dropped it down half a flight of stairs yesterday and its fine!  With only a slim plastic case!  But I despise apple OS, so take my opinion with a very biased grain of salt.
  • Options
    grapesoda1111grapesoda1111 member
    edited September 2015
    Okay thanks ladies. I think I'll end up sticking with Apple. We will also check into how much plans are right now with AT&T and Verizon. We don't use a lot of data so maybe they have a smaller plan for us.

ETA posted before I was done

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I heard Verizon is doing away (or already has) with annual contracts and is going to be month-to-month, so that's something to keep in mind if it matters to you at all.

I like my Galaxy S5, but we're definitely not Apple people at all; we've never had an Apple product we've liked.
  • Options
    oliarnmom1517oliarnmom1517 member
    edited September 2015
    I'm a die hard Apple person... I have never had an issue with Apple before but I know some people that do have small issues but they always take care of you.. But I also have all Apple products and so does my husband..

Edit because it posted before I was done
  • Options
    Die hard apple person here as well, so kudos on sticking with the iPhone! (Although I would go with 6 over 6+... 6+ feels like I'm in a cartoon or something so it's overly big).

My husband and I went around to Verizon, AT&T, and sprint to try to find the best deal. For us, it was the next plan on AT&T... But rather than actually paying for the phone over the course of 2 years, we went ahead and paid for the phone since at the time we had the finances to do so. That dropped our bill down to $120/mo for 2 smart phones and 3GB of data (my phone was on next plan, DH's was not so his part of the plan is more expensive)
  • Options
    I love my iPhone 6. DH is going to get the new one when it comes out in the fall. But we have used Apple phones forever so we are probably a biased audience.
  • Options
    I have an iPhone 5s that I love. The 6's seem too large for me, so I hope mine lasts awhile. Husband has an HTC One, which has lasted him longer than any smartphone he's ever had. He's notoriously hard on his phones, and if he makes it 6 months with one, that's a pretty good run. He's had this one for a year now (no case ::shudder::) and it's still going strong. I have Verizon and would never switch to Sprint for a plethora of reasons. 
  • Options
    queenwog said:

I heard Verizon is doing away (or already has) with annual contracts and is going to be month-to-month, so that's something to keep in mind if it matters to you at all.

I like my Galaxy S5, but we're definitely not Apple people at all; we've never had an Apple product we've liked.

Its called the edge plan, I prefer the two year contract. If your not careful you can screw yourself with the new plan. Plus no more free phone. They take the cost of the phone and divide it into 20-24 monthly payments. Easier to stick with the two year contract and get a new free phone. They make the new plan sound great but when you really dissect it it's not. I love verizon though and on the west side of the states we have the best coverage in my rural areas.

I also love my 5s!!
  • Options
    Samsung galaxy over iPhone for me. I had the iPhone since this first one had 3 of them. I switched to galaxy this last upgrade and I like it more personally. I will go with a galaxy again.
  • Options
    Gapeach83 said:

Samsung galaxy over iPhone for me. I had the iPhone since this first one had 3 of them. I switched to galaxy this last upgrade and I like it more personally. I will go with a galaxy again.

See I have heard the opposite from some and then some say they love it more..
  • Options
    With the AT&T next plan or Verizon edge, after those 2 years are up, do you get to keep that phone?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have Sprint and will not lease a phone by paying full contract price for 2yrs.  I'm sticking with my Galaxy S3 until it dies, hopefully after the next LG/HTC comes out.  I require a removable battery and storage.  The Snapdragon 810 processor which is in most current gen Androids has overheating and battery life problems.  The LG G4 has the 808 processor in it, but that's not much better than what's in the G3 and so isn't worth the upgrade money (to me.)  The Snapdragon 820 is getting good initial press and has supposedly resolved the overheating issues plaguing the 810.  Hopefully it's out in a variety of devices with removable batteries and storage before my current phone dies.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    My husband and I switched from att to sprint to "cut our bill in half". I have an iPhone 6 and he has a 6 plus. It's a little big for me but it's super quick and the service is great. Also, camera quality is amazing. My husband loves his 6 plus. It's so big that his case has a stand on it. Hope this helps!

FTM due 11/06/2015
    Married 09/21/2013
  • Options
    rachswirachswi member
    edited September 2015

With the AT&T next plan or Verizon edge, after those 2 years are up, do you get to keep that phone?

Yes you get to keep it. And after 2 years, you only have to pay the lower price the next plan "add a line" ($25/line vs. $40/line if you buy the reduced rate phone). If you don't do next plan, you have to always pay $40.

We compared prices. It is actually cheaper (not by a ton but $50-100ish over 2 years is still something) to do the AT&T next plan since your monthly bill is minimally higher but you don't pay anything out the door (aka for price of phone)

ETA I can't speak for Verizon but I'd assume it's the same thing. It didn't used to be cheaper but they changed the next plan. It's mutually beneficial since you pay full price of the phone but then the price drops for you after those 2 years
  • Options
    Ok thanks @rachswi that helps!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Cook3133 said:

queenwog said:

Its called the edge plan, I prefer the two year contract. If your not careful you can screw yourself with the new plan. Plus no more free phone. They take the cost of the phone and divide it into 20-24 monthly payments. Easier to stick with the two year contract and get a new free phone. They make the new plan sound great but when you really dissect it it's not. I love verizon though and on the west side of the states we have the best coverage in my rural areas.

I also love my 5s!!
    Verizon actually has a newer version called Device Payment - basically the Edge plan but massively simplified - in response to customer complaints about the process being too complicated and difficult to understand. It's cleared up overpayment issues for lots of customers.
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • Options
    After having the iphone 4 for so long I switched to a galaxy S4.. it is more confusing at first but in time after you play around with It for a few days it's pretty easy to use. Tho I love my S4 I would rather have my iphone.
    My so and gma have the s3 and all of us have more problems with the galaxy than we have had with other phones. My so is switching to an iPhone when his upgrade is avaliable.
  • Options
    Apple household here! FYI there is a new iPhone being released this month, I believe. So maybe worth waiting so you have the latest model!
  • Options
    Apple household here! FYI there is a new iPhone being released this month, I believe. So maybe worth waiting so you have the latest model!
    Do you know when it is getting released? I bet it would burn a hole in my pocket! $$$$

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Haha I was just reading they will announce on the 9th I believe and then a week later it should be out for sale. Could get pushed back but last I read everything was still a go!
  • Options
    Just don't switch to sprint. They might cut your bill in half but they will triple your dropped calls. I hadn't dropped a call in years and then we switched to sprint. It is seriously annoying as hell and yes complete #fwp.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13