November 2015 Moms

NBR: Need Preggo Fashion Advice!

Hello! So, DH and I are going to a wedding in October, when I will be about 35 weeks along. I'm trying to find a dress that will be flattering, but still fall wedding appropriate. I'm not big into fashion or wedding attire rules, and was wondering what your impressions are of this dress. Is floral acceptable at a fall wedding (or any wedding)? It's in Wisconsin and is partially outdoors, so I'll likely be wearing a black blazer/sweater and tights. The couple is super laid back (the ceremony is on a boat dock, with a party on a boat followed by a "reception" at a bar), and probably wouldn't care either way, I just want to be comfortable knowing I'm not breaking any etiquette rules by wearing such bright colors. 

*Feel free to be honest- I really want your opinions! I won't get all butt hurt and report you if you don't like it, I promise. 
Fur daughter: 02/2011
Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
*formerly kayemjay*

Re: NBR: Need Preggo Fashion Advice!

• A little bright for the fall season IMO, but I think it's pretty and would be fine for a wedding. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not really one to follow seasonal etiquette and wear a lot of pieces year around. The tights and sweater should keep you comfortable so I say go for it! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Cute!  Especially since the background on the dress is black, I think it will look adorable.  I went to a wedding at 35 weeks my last pregnancy and I think if you are comfortable, you are good to go.  Just remember to bring flats to change into if you plan to wear heels.  I think I can last all of an hour in heels these days, kudos to those ladies who are still rocking them!
  • Thank you for your opinions, I appreciate all of them!

@falchas- Good point! I've already accepted that I will be wearing flats from here on out. I don't do well in heels when I'm not pregnant, and these days, I'm not looking to make myself any less comfortable than I already am :)
    *formerly kayemjay*

• I would wear that any day. So cute, and I'm obsessed with floral prints. I say good choice. If you decided not to wear the tights you could still wear flats, the sweater over the top, and add a cute black belt and that would be adorable too! I know where I'm at it's sometimes still too warm out for tights/leggings in October. Either way you're gonna look cute.
  • I would wear that any day. So cute, and I'm obsessed with floral prints. I say good choice. If you decided not to wear the tights you could still wear flats, the sweater over the top, and add a cute black belt and that would be adorable too! I know where I'm at it's sometimes still too warm out for tights/leggings in October. Either way you're gonna look cute.
  • Thanks! I'm not normally this concerned, and generally wear what I like- but I feel like, since my preggo belly has gotten so obvious, people definitely look at me more. For better or for worse (usually for the better- I like the increase in random stranger smiles), being obviously pregnant draws attention!
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Very cute! I think my only concern would be being warm enough. I don't know when in October the wedding is and where in the state it is, or where you're from... but where I'm from in Wisconsin it has gotten so cold in October before that it's snowed, but I would think that if it gets that cold they would keep everything inside.
  • @kehill08, thanks! Good point...I'm in Chicago, the wedding is near Milwaukee, so not too different weather-wise. I was thinking about getting some thicker tights just in case, and bringing a couple sweater options. I've been perpetually hot since about week 20, so I don't think the cold will bother me as much as it normally might :)
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Go for it! Especially since you've got the baby belly going, I don't think anyone will look twice at a dress being out of season. Plus, the accessories you choose will change the "seasonality" of it. A sweater and tights makes a dress more fall appropriate than wearing the same dress with flip flops.
  • I'm going to a wedding the last weekend in september. It's outdoors and "semi-formal". I'll be 34w4d. This is what I'm wearing.... I think it's pretty safe to assume that I think large florals are completely appropriate for an outdoor Fall wedding...image
  • @rachswi- That is true! A baby belly is a good distraction :) 

@filberttree- Love that dress! Mine is also from ASOS- they have the best maternity clothes, hands down. Looks like that one will also be great for nursing, if need be. 
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Super cute! I've got a wedding end of September and I'll be 35 weeks as well, except it is a super fancy wedding, like gown fancy! No idea what I'm wearing yet!
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • I agree it's cute and completely acceptable for fall, but I'm not big on following traditional "seasonal trends" - they are outdated IMO.
  • I think it will be fine if you put it with darker colors. I think of you were to put it with a brighter color sweater, it would be more summery, but with black, you are good to go.