Pregnant after a Loss

home doppler

So my SIL has a friend that let me borrow her Doppler. I couldn't find the heartbeat until around 13 weeks and between 13 and 15 weeks, I could find baby super fast with no problems. This past week, I have not been able to find him! I can hear the swoosh of my uterus and what I think is my aorta, but not baby. Dr. Google said babies are more active in this stage so, they hide easier. However, this doesn't ease my mind like it would if I could just find his heartbeat. Anyone else have issues after being able to find baby?

Re: home doppler

• I never got a home doppler because everyone told me that I was already crazy enough and that would make it worse, but I did go to L&D for monitoring once and the heartbeat came and went there. The "whooshing" around that I heard there, the nurse said was the baby moving around and why her heartbeat would come and go. You can always go to L&D of whatever hospital you plan on delivering at and have them check for you.
  • Thanks @PlainJane8350 . I am really trying not to be the crazy lady, but the missed part of a mmc really messes with you. I don't want to 'miss' something again. Really hoping to feel him soon so I don't have to rely on Doppler.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hang in there @rachrobertson ! I hear you about the 'missed' and 'missing' again!
  • Instead of going to L and D many OB offices will let you come in and the RN will check the heart beat if you are concerned. Much cheaper than a trip to L and D, but if there is an issue they can address it.
    More than likely, baby is just hiding.
  • I keep thinking about getting one but I really feel like it will just make me worry more. You are brave, friend! But take deep breaths. Today you are pregnant.

When is your next appointment?
    Married 7/20/13
    #1 MC August 2014 @ 5 Weeks
    #2 MC November 2014 @ 5 Weeks
    #3 EDD 2.17.16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I told them I could handle four week appointments, so my next appointment is September 23. At the time, I was having no problem finding him, so it has been my crutch. But, if I go four weeks without luck finding him or feeling him, I may go crazy! When is your next appointment @borgahurst ? Have you scheduled your anatomy scan? Mine won't be scheduled until my next appointment.
  • I have one next Wednesday at 17 weeks - just a check up. I know we have an u/s scheduled for our 20 week but I am not sure what else they will do then. We made like four appointments at the beginning so I don't recall exactly what will be done then.

I guess you went pretty recently? I have been going every four weeks too. The wait is ok for the first week or so ... But this last week or two is terrible. That's why I thought of getting the Doppler. But hearing your experience I feel like I would be even more anxious for that next appointment. (I realize that likely doesn't help your anxiety much - but if it makes you feel better it's been three weeks since I've heard anything or had any sort of reassurance that everything is going well on there.)
    Married 7/20/13
    #3 EDD 2.17.16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, I went last week. I didn't want to buy a Doppler because o figured it would cause me anxiety, but part of me thought it just might help. Then, my SIL offered to let me borrow it for free, and I couldn't pass that up. Hopefully I can feel movement soon and i won't be so crazy. Who am I kidding. Once he moves, I will expect him to move 24/7 or I will assume something is wrong. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.
  • I have an anterior placenta(placenta on the outside of the uterus) so when I rub my bump Im actually rubbing my placenta not the baby behind it. My midwife says it happens in about 30% of pregnancies. It makes it harder to find a heart beat because it's in the way which is awful during appointments let me tell you. Also the reassuring flutters and kicks are less prominent and happen later. This also plays into my worst fears. Baby is big enough now after 22wks to feel kicks and that helps.
  • @Hipshaker ... anterior placenta means it attaches to the front of the inside of your uterus ... not outside baby. Outside your uterus would be very very bad.
    When u rub your bump you are still rubbing thru muscle and fat and layers and layers and then uterus and then placenta.... rub away
  • That's such good news!!! Keep on kicking, baby boy!!!
    Married 7/20/13
    #3 EDD 2.17.16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Outside meaning front ins Inside meaning back. I guess I'm a little country how I say things. I had a placenta acreta last time so that was both. :)
  • That's great, I can't wait until our little one is big enough to find with the Doppler.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • I saw an ultrasound wand that you use in conjunction with a smart phone in a magazine the other day. My husband was like, "No!" :P

We all know if we did get it who'd be playing with it the most, though...
  • What?! That is crazy. Good thing I am technologically impaired, otherwise, I may be looking at this wand you speak of. Haha
  • PlainJane8350PlainJane8350 member
    edited September 2015
    I'm sure it's outrageous...but tempting to a control freak like me!