Older daycare sibling get baby sick? — The Bump
January 2016 Moms

Older daycare sibling get baby sick?

BTDT Working Mommies: are you keeping your older sibling in daycare when LO arrives? It will be in middle of winter and DH is worried about older sibling bringing home germs and getting infant sick and would prefer nanny at home. Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Re: Older daycare sibling get baby sick?

• Fwiw, we have a nanny 3 days a week and my girls are exposed to so many germs. They're constantly on outings with us or nanny so I think they're exposed to more kids' germs than if they were in daycare. (On the other hand, parents will send their sick kids to day care but probably aren't taking symptomatic kids to the children's museum so maybe not) It's totally worth it to get them all these experiences, but my whole family and our nanny are sick now. I don't know if this helps you any but wanted to give you my experience.

Hopefully your day care has a strict no sick kids policy if you do decide to keep them there.
  • I am sending my son to daycare when LO arrives. He goes to an in home with only one other kid though. I don't know how I would feel about a center, but for my sanity with a newborn I am sending my (will be) 2 year old.
    lwebley
  • I'll be sending my 3 yr old to preschool 3 half days a week. I completely understand your concern but to me as with the PP I think it's important she carry on with her routine and I'll be unable to get out a lot the first 2 months( c section) plus it's literally the beginning of January.. I will say that at school they say keep them home until they are fever free for 24 hours. Some people listen some don't. In a perfect world they would live in a bubble but it's actually not terrible for the baby's immune system.
    mg137
  • I will still be sending DS to daycare/preschool once baby arrives. He will have his flu shot before baby is born, as will DH and I, which I think is the biggest thing we can do. I am more concerned about when to start sending baby to daycare. I can take up to 12 weeks of maternity leave, but only the first 6 are paid. I don't really want to send an infant to daycare at the beginning of March in the middle of flu season, but I don't know how much unpaid time we can afford...
  • The most important thing for small children (and anyone really) is to interrupt their routine as little as possible. Whatever is their current schedule, try to maintain that.
    Proud Mommy to Benjamin
    1/11/16
    8.4lbs
    21.5 inches
    ashs88mg137
  • When my second was born I kept my oldest in daycare. When I picked him up every day I made him was his hands before walked out the door and as soon as we got home made him change clothes. I plan on doing the same when #3 arrives. Lots of laundry but made me feel better about daycare germs :)
    ariasbabyblogcatgraz