January 2016 Moms

Will Yelling/Screaming hurt the baby?

Ok,

My husband and I got in an argument over the weekend and I ended up yelling at the top of my lungs at one point (not my finest hour). 

My question is: 

Has anyone asked their doctor whether yelling or screaming will hurt the baby? Such as hearing damage or any developmental problems? 

I felt fine physically after the argument (albeit tired and a little ashamed) and I still feel the baby moving so my guess it she's fine but I was just curious what anyone's doctors have said...that is if anyone has even had to ask their doctor! Ugh. I'll see my doctor next week and will ask at that time but if anyone has any information for me now, I appreciate it!!! :) 

PS: Just to note that this argument came out of nowhere. My stress level has been really good my entire pregnancy which is why this outburst shocked me...and my husband! 

Re: Will Yelling/Screaming hurt the baby?

• No, yelling and screaming will not hurt the baby. People go to concerts all the time while pregnant and babies have no hearing damage. ;) But the baby can feel the stress and increase in your HR and BP that occurs when your angry. As long you aren't angry all the time, you should be fine!
  • I have never heard of yelling being an issue in utero.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. I know this is a silly question. I'm surprised with the crazy things I find myself worrying about these days! 

• Sully314 said:
    Thanks ladies. I know this is a silly question. I'm surprised with the crazy things I find myself worrying about these days! 

I feel like sometimes my common sense has gone out the door worrying about things.  Don't sweat it.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• jessielynn1jessielynn1 member
    edited August 2015
    If yelling was not ok . I would have a total of zero children. I'm sure baby is ok in there.

Edit: words
  • I'm sitting next to loud amplifiers right now listening to my SO rock out. I hope the baby is dancing....
  • I've wondered about the kind of stress hormones that are released during fighting and other situations, and if they effect the baby.
  • I've wondered about the kind of stress hormones that are released during fighting and other situations, and if they effect the baby.

Yeah that worries me more.
  • On the stress question: Extreme stress can be bad for baby. The only situations I've read about causing damage, though, are serious anxiety disorders and really serious trauma. A study was done in some country where war broke out and the babies born to moms who were pregnant during the war had higher rates of anxiety disorders (I don't think any other issues, though) than children born right before. But the stress of an occasional fight or other normal stressors, like a stressful job or even getting laid off, isn't thought to hurt the baby. I wish I remembered enough information to cite the study so you could all see the details. I do remember the book I read about it in and can find the title if anyone's super interested.
  • I can understand your concern! I went to a concert at about 14w and asked the doctor if it was safe first! And even though he said yes, I was still concerned. Common sense doesn't seem to rule over my worries, anymore.
  • If you turned up your phone speaker all the way and pressed it to your belly, you could potentially harm baby eardrums (according to my ob). But I seriously doubt yelling is anywhere in the danger zone.
  • I believe my second language to be yelling. I have 2 toddlers as well, and I feel like the majority of the time I yell.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yelling won't hurt. Although last week was a very bad week at work for me and I was so stressed. I knew the stress was bad but I couldn't help it. Well now I'm laid up with a really bad cold. Noone around me has been sick so I'm thinking my body was just done from all of the stress. Take care of yourself and try to relax and reduce your stress. Trust me you don't want to be sick because we are limited in what we can take.