November 2015 Moms

Strep B? Any one else?

Just got a request to call back my OB, seems my swab came back that I have Strep B but the doc didn't seem to worried about it. Since then I've done my usual and Googled it..... this has made me worried. Are there other mums out there that had this also? We're you bubs all ok?

Re: Strep B? Any one else?

• Group B strep is incredibly common, it just means you will need an antibiotic during delivery.
  • My doctor said like 1/3 of women have it. I did with DD1 and it was definitely no biggie.
  • Loading the player...
  • its not a big deal you will just need antibiotics during delivery.
    Make sure you get to the hospital asap if you think your water breaks so they can give you enough doses
  • I had it with my son. It really wasn't a big deal. You'll just get antibiotics in the hospital.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Most doctors test around 36 weeks. So most ladies probably don't know yet but I am sure a lot more will be here. Its no big deal very common just need an iv antibiotic so not ideal having to be hooked up to iv but nothing to stress or worry about.
  • Not a big deal I had it with DS1 when they knew I had an amniotic leak and I was a keeper in LD they started me on an iv antibiotic. Lo was born 15 hrs later and he was fine never had any issues since I had the required number of doses of antibiotics. Didn't have it with DS2. M
  • I had it with my first pregnancy. No need to worry.
  • I had Step B with my last baby and the hospital forgot to give me antibiotics but everything was fine.
  • I had it last pregnancy. I got the antibiotics and they kept us 24 hours post birth for monitoring but it was not a big deal. Knowing about it is the most important part.
  • You're really lucky, in the UK it isn't a routine test for women. You only get it if you pay privately or you're at risk/have had it before.

As @dogsombrero says, knowing is the most important part. So you're already a step ahead of tons of UK mums! Id stay off Dr Google, if your doc is happy to be relaxed then you should be too. Don't let it stress the last part of your pregnancy, they're aware and will be on top of it!
  • Anyone know what antibiotics they give for this? I'm allergic to a lot of antibiotics so that's why I ask.
  • Not sure why I was tested so early, but I tested positive at about 15 weeks! But apparently like pp said, it's very common and manageable.
  • Anyone know what antibiotics they give for this? I'm allergic to a lot of antibiotics so that's why I ask.

I received penicillin. If you are positive I would ask your Dr what they recommend and know it because they want to start it ASAP in L&D. My water broke but I still had to be induced so I had plenty of time. Oh and additionally it was 24 extra hours of monitoring so a stay of 48 hours post birth.

@mamavbs that is so strange that they don't test in the UK. I highly doubt they just give everyone antibiotics so how do they save the babies exposed? Do they test the kids post birth?
  • I tested positive for it in a urine sample very early. I've been adding more probiotics to my diet just to lower the chances of side effects from the penicillin such as thrush. Im a nurse (surgical not L&D) and some antibiotics tend to burn when infusing so if you dont feel comfortable at any time during infusions let your nurse know. We dont mind slowing it down or diluting it with more saline. GBS can be serious in some cases but for most it isnt. Im still not taking chances by refusing antibotics or extra monitoring for my LO, which I've read of many mothers doing.
  • I was GBS positive for DS1 & 2. For my first, they induced and I got a dose of Penicillin every four hours until he was born, then we stayed for a full 48 hours after delivery so that he could be monitored (basically just watched, they didn't do anything special). For DS2, my labor was fairly fast and they didn't even have a chance to give me any of the antibiotics, so all we did was stay the full 48 hours to be monitored. It's a bummer having to stay so long in the hospital, but other than that, not a big deal at all!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

I received penicillin. If you are positive I would ask your Dr what they recommend and know it because they want to start it ASAP in L&D. My water broke but I still had to be induced so I had plenty of time. Oh and additionally it was 24 extra hours of monitoring so a stay of 48 hours post birth.

@mamavbs that is so strange that they don't test in the UK. I highly doubt they just give everyone antibiotics so how do they save the babies exposed? Do they test the kids post birth?
    Trust me, petition after petition is going in to our healthcare, we think it's strange too! At the moment they tend to monitor baby for the early symptoms and then give them antibiotics if they're needed. The NHS argue that babies develop symptoms of early gbs within the first 12 hours. You're right, they don't give antibiotics to everyone automatically. Of course if you have had the strep b test for whatever reason and it's positive they monitor you closely with antibiotics in labour- the same as you guys.

I'm tempted to get the private test with this pregnancy. Until then il keep signing the petitions to induct it in to our normal antenatal routines!!
  • I tested positive for it in a urine sample very early. I've been adding more probiotics to my diet just to lower the chances of side effects from the penicillin such as thrush. Im a nurse (surgical not L&D) and some antibiotics tend to burn when infusing so if you dont feel comfortable at any time during infusions let your nurse know. We dont mind slowing it down or diluting it with more saline. GBS can be serious in some cases but for most it isnt. Im still not taking chances by refusing antibotics or extra monitoring for my LO, which I've read of many mothers doing.

It did burn for me but the nurses gave me a heated blanket for the IV arm which helped. I'm a giant wuss though.
  • Jennsoule said:

I had Step B with my last baby and the hospital forgot to give me antibiotics but everything was fine.

I had it with ds1 and I wrote it on my birth plan because I was worried I'd forget and the hospital would overlook it somehow. I guess I wasn't just being paranoid!

• I had it with my first and my doctor was sure to put it in my chart. I didn't even know I had it until they started an IV when I was in labor! I asked what all that medicine was for and they told me I was positive for strep B. I had a moment of panic, but didn't even think about it again! The pain was so excruciating that a little needle with antibiotics going through it didn't even phase me.
    Put your mind at ease because as pp say, it's extremely common and it's no big deal. Good luck with your delivery.
  • Here is something for you ladies to research if you wish. My midwife suggested I take probiotics starting now (I have not yet been tested for group strep b since I'm just 28 weeks). Apparently it seems in some studies that probiotics can actually prevent or at the least really lower chances of having group b. Since probiotics are very healthy for other reasons as well, and I do love Greek yogurt, I'm going to try to make sure I get some in every day, and if it helps prevent group b then that's awesome; if I end up testing positive, then I'll take my antibiotics. In a quick internet search I found that probiotic treatment actually helped one lady to get rid of her group strep b. She tested positive early, did her probiotic treatment and then later tested negative. ?? Something to research and ask your care provider about if you're interested in that type of thing!
  • Here is something for you ladies to research if you wish. My midwife suggested I take probiotics starting now (I have not yet been tested for group strep b since I'm just 28 weeks). Apparently it seems in some studies that probiotics can actually prevent or at the least really lower chances of having group b. Since probiotics are very healthy for other reasons as well, and I do love Greek yogurt, I'm going to try to make sure I get some in every day, and if it helps prevent group b then that's awesome; if I end up testing positive, then I'll take my antibiotics. In a quick internet search I found that probiotic treatment actually helped one lady to get rid of her group strep b. She tested positive early, did her probiotic treatment and then later tested negative. ?? Something to research and ask your care provider about if you're interested in that type of thing!

While probiotics are good for you and can help your gut flora, the strep b test is only accurate for 4-6 weeks because the flora in those areas changes quickly so I don't think probiotics "cured" her strep b.