February 2016 Moms

Keeping Gender Secret

kinnonamkinnonam member
edited August 2015 in February 2016 Moms
anyone not telling family and friends gender?

Re: Keeping Gender Secret

• We're team green so the sex is a secret to everyone...including me :) I could trust myself but I wouldn't trust my H to not slip while talking to someone.
  • We're doing a photo shoot reveal. The grandparents will each get a framed picture of the reveal (however we choose to do it) and then will probably just tell close friends as we see them. I wouldn't be able to keep the sex a secret til the end, but the name we will probably not tell until baby is born and we see what "fits".
  • Loading the player...
  • We were thinking of doing a photoshops reveal but I have no belly! If I am anything like my mother or aunts I won't get a belly until month 7 lol.
  • I was thinking about keeping it a secret. But my husband really wants his mom to know. She can't wait to go crazy on baby clothes etc
  • I'd like to, only because I don't want to receive a bunch of hideous clothes. But realistically, we won't be able to keep it a secret. We may share the name, too, when we've decided on it. Not sure.
  • wisco29 said:

I keep debating it... Only because the sex of the baby seems to be a huge deal to them. I'm sort of annoyed by it.

I think we will end up just keeping the name a complete secret instead.

This is our situation. I hate how nosy DH's family is. They're literally demanding we share info as we get it, and the more they push, the less I want to tell them. I got him to agree to keep the name to ourselves at least until Christmas, but I'm really pushing for until after baby girl arrives because she's our first and I like the thought of having something just between mom, dad, and baby, even for a short while. Or maybe I'm petty lol.

imageLilypie - (zxAe)

• @kinnonam

We were thinking of the handprint reveal, or even a glitter balloon pop.
    My announcement was seashells, and I'm probably going with a beach/nautical theme nursery, so may go with that. Going to be brainstorming with photographer over the next few weeks to get ideas. Hopefully we'll "pop" a little before its time :)
  • @natsfans84 my MIL is like this. Nosy as anything and not terribly supportive. I'm tempted to tell her the name once we decide so she'll shut up about it and stop suggesting names. Whenever she suggests a name I either hate it or I immediately rule it out BECAUSE she suggested it. I can't let that happen to the name we actually pick!

Yeah, maybe I'm a little petty, too. ;;)
  • wisco29wisco29 member
    edited August 2015

wisco29 said:

I keep debating it... Only because the sex of the baby seems to be a huge deal to them. I'm sort of annoyed by it.

I think we will end up just keeping the name a complete secret instead.

This is our situation. I hate how nosy DH's family is. They're literally demanding we share info as we get it, and the more they push, the less I want to tell them. I got him to agree to keep the name to ourselves at least until Christmas, but I'm really pushing for until after baby girl arrives because she's our first and I like the thought of having something just between mom, dad, and baby, even for a short while. Or maybe I'm petty lol.
    Not petty at all! So much stuff is shared and everyone wants to know so having that to me is special!
    We only shared dd's name because someone else in my family got pregnant and was having a girl and I was using a family name for her mn from that side so I wanted to announce the name first.
  • With DD and this one, we told/will tell people the sex. However, we did not tell anyone the name with DD and we will keep it a secret with this one too. People like to give opinions about names, but they cannot give much of an opinion once it's on paper and official. And, it allows us to change them name at the last minute of we want. If you tell people the name in advance, they WILL make personalized gifts and then you feel stuck with that name. That's just my two cents :).
  • I couldn't keep the gender a secret if I knew it but I plan to find out. If you want to keep it a secret that is up to you, it can be nice to have private moments that you personally celebrate. 

With my first we didn't decide on a name until we left the hospital. Everyone thought that we knew the whole time and refused to tell. It was really annoying when people were trying to convince me to tell when I really didn't have anything to tell.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Feb 2016 Siggy Challenge, Favorite Thing About Fall
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I won't be able to keep it a secret because I'm dying. I plan on making a photo to reveal the sex and send to our family and post it like I did when I announced our pregnancy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think it's strange to find out the sex and not tell anyone. It just seems pretentious and obnoxious. I don't see the point in withholding information from my nearest and dearest just because I can.
  • We are team green but DH would love to know however I do not trust him to keep that a secret.  I just know he would slip-up and call the LO a he/she...I would be so upset!  So I figure since I'm the one carrying and doing all the work to get this LO into the world, he can tough it up and just not know too! lol

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • I am keeping it a secret for two more weeks (found out last week) because I'm having a gender reveal party with my family. They'll find out when we cut into the cake. Everyone just saw me over the weekend and was assessing my belly/shape to take guesses. Most of the people who thought "girl" have changed over to "boy" because I'm just carrying in my stomach (thank god) and they all said girls you carry all around (old wive's tale- I know). My mom and grandma also said my face had changed in the beginning, making them think "girl" but it's gone back to normal since then, making them now thing "boy". Lol... it's silly but fun.  
    I think all the women are secretly hoping for a girl because they all think they are more fun and more exciting to shop for... but it's a boy. 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Team green. It's a secret from everyone! Except my care providers, I guess. But yeah, if we found out we'd share the sex, but not the name.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• I think it's strange to find out the sex and not tell anyone. It just seems pretentious and obnoxious. I don't see the point in withholding information from my nearest and dearest just because I can.

I agree with this BUT I also can't stand my in-laws so I could see myself keeping it a secret to be petty. Haha. But we aren't finding out at all so they don't get to know either!

I had a friend (I say that loosely... I should say coworker) who was the most obnoxious pregnant person I've ever met, particularly about his name. I don't care if someone wants to keep that private...it's weird to me but whatever. I don't care about your kid's name. But she would be chatting about something at work and then really dramatically clap her hand over her mouth and be like, "Oh my GOSH I just almost said his name! Oh I need to be more careful! Tee hee hee!" because she wanted people to beg her to tell them. Nope. She also uploaded pics of his nursery to FB with his name (which was painted on his wall) blacked or blurred out. Eyeroll.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • we kept it a secret with #2.  H and I found out but told everyone we weren't finding out.  It actually was kind of fun knowing and not telling.  it was a lot easier to not say anything then i thought it would be.
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• @AdventureMama don't you just LOVE people like that? *gushes*
    I would give her the eye and walk away. Not sorry at all!
    There is a girl at work who does the ughhhh and humphhhh sounds hoping SOMEone will bite and ask so she can talk about herself. Everyone ignores her. It's quite funny!
  • @AdventureMama don't you just LOVE people like that? *gushes*
    I would give her the eye and walk away. Not sorry at all!
    There is a girl at work who does the ughhhh and humphhhh sounds hoping SOMEone will bite and ask so she can talk about herself. Everyone ignores her. It's quite funny!

Yes! Sounds similar to this girl. She was at risk for pre-e so she was complaining and worrying constantly, and she used it as an excuse to sit down (which we weren't allowed to do on the job) a LOT. And she took her own blood pressure almost hourly. It was ridiculous. She also said a lot of seriously hideous things like, "Ugh, what if my child is ugly? Like seriously I need to be able to love my child..."

She's kind of an immature princess, if you can't tell. She moved away so I never see her anymore. Darn.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • @adventuremama what did she name him?

Kayden. Haha
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • "I need to be able to love my child"
    DYING.

=))
    Kayden. Haha
    Not as bad as I was expecting! I was expecting a truly speshul snoeflayke name.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Kayden. Haha

Not as bad as I was expecting! I was expecting a truly speshul snoeflayke name.

It's not my style at all but whatevs. The funny thing is that before she got married and pregnant we discussed baby names we liked and she already had told me she really liked the Brayden/Kayden/Aiden trend so I guessed it was along those lines. And it was. I never gave her the satisfaction of asking, though.

I probably sound like such a B. Honestly her pregnancy killed our friendship. Her attitude was so ridiculous- she was the epitome of a martyr personality, like she was the only person in the world to ever be pregnant. She was pregnant at the same time as another girl we worked with and the difference was astounding. The other girl just kept working, was super friendly about answering questions and chatting about it but wasn't in your face, didn't complain about every little thing... It was funny to compare them. They were due within a week of each other and Kayden's mom was going around saying she hoped she had her baby first because it'd be more special. o_O

Also she made a huge deal about not wanting visitors in the hospital, as though everyone was begging to come see her child right away (we weren't). Then after she had him she invited a mutual friend to come visit and told that friend specifically not to tell me she had visited because she didn't want me to come. Uhh flatter yourself much? We hung out outside of work ONCE. Ever. I wasn't dying to come to the hospital and see him, especially after your overly dramatic pregnancy.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • It's not my style at all but whatevs. The funny thing is that before she got married and pregnant we discussed baby names we liked and she already had told me she really liked the Brayden/Kayden/Aiden trend so I guessed it was along those lines. And it was. I never gave her the satisfaction of asking, though. I probably sound like such a B. Honestly her pregnancy killed our friendship. Her attitude was so ridiculous- she was the epitome of a martyr personality, like she was the only person in the world to ever be pregnant. She was pregnant at the same time as another girl we worked with and the difference was astounding. The other girl just kept working, was super friendly about answering questions and chatting about it but wasn't in your face, didn't complain about every little thing... It was funny to compare them. They were due within a week of each other and Kayden's mom was going around saying she hoped she had her baby first because it'd be more special. o_O Also she made a huge deal about not wanting visitors in the hospital, as though everyone was begging to come see her child right away (we weren't). Then after she had him she invited a mutual friend to come visit and told that friend specifically not to tell me she had visited because she didn't want me to come. Uhh flatter yourself much? We hung out outside of work ONCE. Ever. I wasn't dying to come to the hospital and see him, especially after your overly dramatic pregnancy.
    I don't think I'd be friends with her after all of that either, but it does sound like she feels inferior to you. 

• Haha @DrillSergeantCat I don't think she feels inferior to anyone.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Haha @DrillSergeantCat I don't think she feels inferior to anyone.
    I say that because of her specifically not wanting you to visit. It sounded like a personal thing. 

• She probably knew she was a snowflake princess and didn't want your awesomeness to rain on her self imposed imperial parade.
  • She probably knew she was a snowflake princess and didn't want your awesomeness to rain on her self imposed imperial parade.

Hahaha you guys are awesome :)
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
    I think that family, friends, and even people you don't really know can become really pushy sometimes, as if it's their baby. It can be quite annoying to have people constantly hounding you for information when you really just want a little time to relish in it with your partner. For instance, a lot of my family and friends want to know everything as soon as we know, but Hubby and I really just want some time to process things ourselves. I believe someone commented earlier that when people do this it makes them withhold information even longer. So I can see in some circumstances why you hold onto information, but I do agree that there are some circumstances where people can be truly obnoxious about it.
  • We aren't telling anyone when we find out, but only because my sister wants to throw us a gender reveal party. Initially we were just going to find out, take a cute reveal photo and share with everyone. But now, we will find out together (because we really want to enjoy that moment with just each other) and the reveal to our family and friends at the party.