February 2016 Moms

Pudendal Block

hey ladies! Second trimester means research time! I will be attempting a vbac so my doctor sent a bunch of educational videos one of which mentioned pudendal block. Uterine rupture is always a scary thought but feeling tearing at the vagina when the baby comes out scares the heck out of me. I always knew medication was a no no for me and my birth plan. A pudendal block is a shot right before birth that numbs your vaginal area. Which to me is a win win. I can still go natural while feeling a lot more at ease about feeling my vagina tear! Have any of you ladies had experience with this?

Re: Pudendal Block

• Never heard of it. I honestly want to try and go all natural. I always have terrible side effects with epidurals and spinals. But I'll keep it in mind and I'll ask my OB, as a just in case. Thanks for the info! :)

• No experience with it, but I will say that I think when you're actually pushing, your thought won't be, "hmmm, I think that's my vagina tearing".. Hormones and adrenaline will have your mind in a completely different place.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • edited August 2015
    VitaLuna said:
    No experience with it, but I will say that I think when you're actually pushing, your thought won't be, "hmmm, I think that's my vagina tearing".. Hormones and adrenaline will have your mind in a completely different place.
    This.  I've had significant tearing both times, but I haven't even felt it, because of how intense the contractions are.  For me, I have never even noticed the "ring of fire" or felt the tearing because the contractions at that point are...the way that they are. :)

ETA: But I sure don't see any harm in it.  I mean, it sounds like the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work, right? As long as you don't have unrealistic expectations that it will make delivery a dream, I can't see why it would be a bad thing!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I had a third degree tear without any drugs, and didn't know until the doctor told me. The worst part (regarding the tear) was getting the injections to numb me so they could stitch me up lol. Also I think if I were in transition, AND the dr was putting injections in my hoo-ha right before pushing, that would just be torture.

Of course it's a personal decision, but that's just my 2 cents. :)

Mom to Benjamin 6/2011 and Lena 5/2013; baby 3 on the way

• ErinC1014 said:

I had a third degree tear without any drugs, and didn't know until the doctor told me. The worst part (regarding the tear) was getting the injections to numb me so they could stitch me up lol. Also I think if I were in transition, AND the dr was putting injections in my hoo-ha right before pushing, that would just be torture.

Of course it's a personal decision, but that's just my 2 cents. :)

Good point from all you ladies. Ive heard you dont even feel it. I guess I will go with the flow and see how I am feeling.
  • I remember them giving me that and I couldn't feel them injecting it at all. I also still had major pain down there, so I don't think it worked. I remember thinking after I had given birth, "man that would have been awesome if it had worked!"