July 2015 Moms
Options

Babys back head flat

My LOs back head is flat.... He is 8 weeks old now... Is this normal?

Re: Babys back head flat

• Options
    It is not normal but it happens. Is he/she having tummy time? It helps because it is caused my her spending too much time on her back.
  • Options
    Keep baby off of his back as much as possible. I try to lay my LO on my chest, do tummy time on the floor, hold her with my arm under her neck instead of her head, wear baby in a carrier etc. I only lay her down for naps, sleeping and when I have to get things done..of.course that's usually when she's sleeping. There is still time to correct it for your baby, but I'd also mention your concern to your pediatrician. In rare cases babies have to wear helmets to correct it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My friends son had this on one side of his head from laying down too much. Make sure to rotate baby's head positions if they're down frequently. Ultimately, her son was fit for a helmet and the issue rectified itself immediately. Hers was an extreme case.
  • Options
    My DS favors one side when he lays so I make sure to turn his head to the opposite side. It does happen but you want to try to correct it by not leaving them in the spot that's flat. If you don't, they will have it the rest of their lives. Might want to do tummy time when you are awake to keep them off their back is LO will tolerate it.
  • Options
    My little girl is 5 weeks old and she's developed a flat spot in her right side because she's favouring that side.

We're encouraging her to turn to a lay with her head turned to the side. It definitely has me anxious. The last thing I want is for little one to end up with a helmet but only time will tell.

Definitely get onto your doctor or pedi and get their opinion. Little one and I are heading back to the physio in 4 weeks to reassess the situation if our "positional play" doesn't help.
    [color=purple]Married July 2014[/color]
    [color=pink]First Monkey July 2015[/color]
    [color=green]Baby No2 March 2018
    ~Team Green~[/color]

• Options
    How do you get them to keep their head turned to the other side? My DS sleeps facing the right & his head is a little more flat on that side. Dr even mentioned it today. I tried turning his head to the opposite side when I put him to bed tonight & he immediately turned it back.
  • Options
    I positioned his head to the side but he also immediately turns back.
  • Options
    I have the play pen against the wall. LO likes to see everything so I just rotate what end of the play pen I lay his head on. Usually that works. I also will move his head when he is good and asleep.
  • Options
    kamio92kamio92 member
    edited September 2015
    I got a work sheet/cheat sheet from the physio. Depending on which side they favour you only play with and talk to them from the other side. So she's got a flat spot on her right so we talk to her from the left, only play from the left so rattle a toy on her left side and when I pick her up she goes over my RIGHT shoulder.

We've been doing it for 3 days and there is already a difference. She still favours her right side but she's getting slowly better :)

And we flip her head all the time. She gets very cranky but we just keep at it.
    [color=purple]Married July 2014[/color]
    [color=pink]First Monkey July 2015[/color]
    [color=green]Baby No2 March 2018
    ~Team Green~[/color]

• Options
    v&drustonv&druston member
    edited September 2015
    @knottie74091607 thanks for sharing that info. I will definitely start trying those things.