August 2015 Moms

numb lower belly after c-section

Hey ladies.
I had a c-section 2 weeks ago and I still have spots on my lower belly that are totally numb.
Is that normal? Do you have the same?
Will it go away?

Re: numb lower belly after c-section

• edited August 2015
    I've had 3 c-sections and my lower belly is numb & it never went away for me even after my first one which was almost 7 years ago.
  • It's normal. For some feeling may return in time, for some it's permanent. I've been numb there for almost 5 years.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm still mostly numb there from my section almost 4.5 years ago.
  • Wow. Nobody ever mentioned that to me before the surgery.
  • My doc said the same thing as @SassetteSmurfling for some it goes away with time and for others it's numb permanently. I'm only 16 days post section and haven't looked at or touched my incision area so I don't really know if mine is numb.
  • I have a circle above and to the left of my incision that is numb for some reason. Doctor just kinda shrugged when I mentioned it. It doesn't bother me. . I kinda wish my incision was. It feels like a bad sunburn (I've been told its nerves reconnecting). I had the same with my older daughter and it took about 18 months for it to finally stop hurting.
  • I'm completely numb too. On Tuesday it will be 3 weeks for me. I'm also numb on my leg. No idea why.
  • Yeah I'm a week out and still numb. Awesome.
  • I'm a month PP now and the incision isn't numb but all above it is. The doctor said it should go away at 3-4 months PP. I hope it does because it drives me crazy!
  • Yes. I'm 1 month pp and stool have numb spots.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a circle above and to the left of my incision that is numb for some reason. Doctor just kinda shrugged when I mentioned it. It doesn't bother me. . I kinda wish my incision was. It feels like a bad sunburn (I've been told its nerves reconnecting). I had the same with my older daughter and it took about 18 months for it to finally stop hurting.

My incision feels that way too! Actually, it's an area about an inch above my incision. It's right where my pant line is so that sucks. I'm ready for real pants again!

• I'm 4 weeks out and mine was quite numb above the incision. Now I have some feeling returning but some numbness too. Doesn't really bother me though...
  • Yep same here, my incision line is totally numb & my belly right up to & just above my belly button is also totally numb. I mentioned it to my midwife and she said the same, that for some the feeling may return & for some it may not, it all depended on how your body heals etc..
    It feels super weird but I guess I will get used to it.
  • Yup, my first c-section was almost 5 years ago, and the numbness never completely went away.  RCS was 5 weeks ago.  I don't feel like the numbness has increased, but it's still there.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My midwife said to expect numbness for at least 4-5 months. Makes sense since they essentially cut nerves. I am starting to get back some sensation but very little.
  • I had it with my 1st, and then it just became a general numbness around my scar after a few years. Now, with my 2nd c-section, it feels like I'm still under anesthesia from my belly button to my scar!
    BTW ladies, massage your scar!!!!!! I've been having random internal pain from behind my scar! Turns out it's from the scar tissue trying to attach itself to my organs! I was never told this with my 1st!
    If you massage it, then you can prevent it!
  • Yep! Completely numb and completely "normal"....may be permanent like some pp said
  • sjra1028 said:

I had it with my 1st, and then it just became a general numbness around my scar after a few years. Now, with my 2nd c-section, it feels like I'm still under anesthesia from my belly button to my scar!
    BTW ladies, massage your scar!!!!!! I've been having random internal pain from behind my scar! Turns out it's from the scar tissue trying to attach itself to my organs! I was never told this with my 1st!
    If you massage it, then you can prevent it!

@sjra1028 My friends stomach and uterus fused together because of this and she had to undergo major surgery recently!!