Infertility
Options

Too soon for Donor Egg?

Hi there, I am 37 years old (and 3 months) and I have completed 4 IVF cycles.  2 ended in chemical miscarriages.
I have low ovarian reserve and based on my results I only seem to produce 2 eggs through every cycle.
The miscarriages are indicative of egg quality being low.

We are at the point where we want to explore donor egg.  Its heart breaking because I never imagined my kids
wouldn't be genetically mine.  I also feel like I am young for Donor Egg, but maybe I am not?  Has anyone tried donor egg?  
What was your experience?  Why did you pursue it?  How many cycles is enough to know that you need to go
the donor egg route?

Re: Too soon for Donor Egg?

• Options
    Hi, we have not used DE *yet*, but if this current cycle doesn't work, we are 90% sure we want to just move on to DE. I am 38, DH is 41, unexplained IF, this is our 2nd attempt at IVF. Honestly, the fact that insurance made us go through 3 IUIs before they would pay for IVF wore us down, emotionally and financially, otherwise we might try with my own eggs a little longer.
    me: 39  DH: 42
    TTC: since April 2014
    IUI #1-3 Jan-April 2015 (all BFNs)
    IVF #1 May/June 2015 - cancelled due to poor response
    IVF #2 July/Aug 2015 - BFN
    DE IVF #1 March 2016 - BFP
  • Options
    I'm 38, and I'm thinking that if I move to IVF, I will probably rely on my wife's eggs-- she's 36, with no indication of low reserve (which I have).

That's not the same as using donor eggs from some young nubile 22-year-old, of course.  But I have enough concern about the quality of my own eggs, that I'll give up having a genetic connection in favor of increasing my chances of having a kid, period.  Also, IVF is so expensive and we don't have insurance coverage.

I don't think it's necessarily about age.  If we've got low reserve, then we might have faced challenges even if we were doing this when we were younger.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)