Baby girl name poll — The Bump
Baby Names

Baby girl name poll

we're expecting a baby girl Nov. 4 and are torn between two names. Neither one of us can decide and we would like the name to be a surprise to our family and friends. Maybe a poll of public opinion will help us :) thanks in advance for your help!!
We are between...
Jocelyn Ella and Emmerson Grace (likely call her Emmie or Emma)

Re: Baby girl name poll

• Jocelyn, definitely. It's pretty and not very common these days.

Emerson is too masculine for my tastes, and "Em-" names (Emma, Emmaline, Emery, etc) are a dime a dozen lately!
    kayway85sahmrey
  • Loading the player...
  • Emerson is not a girls name. I don't understand this Emery/Emerson/Everly trend. I apologize for being crass, but I just hate it and I feel sorry for girls that have to go through life introducing themselves as what is essentially a surname. I also don't like it for a boy, but it's slightly more tolerable.

As for Jocelyn. . . I love it. What a gorgeous name. It's so timeless and yet you hardly hear it anymore. 100 times better than Emerson.

4N6swassuphoesjessilee15
  • 4N6s4N6s
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    Jocelyn.
  • ecwkecwk
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary 5 Answers
    Jocelyn definitely. I really don't like the name Emmerson. Sounds like it's not even a real name to me.?

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Jocelyn or Emma. I don't care for Emerson for a girl, especially if you would call her Emma. Emily would sound nice as well.
  • Jocelyn. It was my best friends name growing up!
  • Seriously Emmy at this point and Emerson on a girl is to the eye roll worthy point. Jocelyn is also technically masculine but in the U.S. Mostly female so I vote that

• Definitely Jocelyn. Emmie/Emma is overdone, and Emerson is definitely masculine. 

Diagnoses: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, POTS, PCOS
  • I'm the jerk who thinks they are both terrible for girls because both are masculine.

But of the two, Jocelyn because it at least doesn't mean "son of -" like EmerSON.
    LFAF October Signature Challange
  • ditto everyone else

• BBeninateBBeninate
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    I like Emerson Grace!
    I know both a guy and a girl named Emerson, but I actually knew the girl first and I think it is actually a really pretty name for a girl.
  • Jocelyn is a much better choice
  • Jocelyn for sure. Like a PP said, I don't like -son names for girls. Those are linguistically male names.
    Me: 37, DH: 44
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Canada

sahmreyBeeKayy21
  • Jocelyn! I've heard the nn Joss, which I really like too!
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Jocelyn Ella!!!
  • Jocelyn or Emma. Not emmerson
  • I think Emerson (but would probably change the spelling to Emersen or Emersyn) or Emmelyn are both great names for a girl and not heard of a lot where I am from. Love the nickname Emmi, we are actually considering it for our baby girl! Goodluck!
  • LyndsRoos said:
    I think Emerson (but would probably change the spelling to Emersen or Emersyn) or Emmelyn are both great names for a girl and not heard of a lot where I am from. Love the nickname Emmi, we are actually considering it for our baby girl! Goodluck!
    Emerson shot up the charts fast. It's the new Ashely.

Masculine and trendy.
    LFAF October Signature Challange
    bbiutmcph
  • Changing the spelling does not make Emerson feminine.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Jocelyn.  Not a fan of Emmerson.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP