Infertility

Progesterone: which one? What symptoms?

I'm just curious what everyone's side effects/symptoms from progesterone are. I know it varies from person to person

I'm on crinone for the second month and have slight cramping (very minor) some sore boobs last month. Not this one yet and maybe a little tired

Re: Progesterone: which one? What symptoms?

• This is my second month of crinone too. I get sore boobs and cramping. Last month I had night sweats but my RE said it was from clomid. I took Letrozole this month.
      • TTC #1 since August 2014
      • currently on 5th medicated IUI cycle
  • I also took letrozole both months. Are your cramps bad?? Mine aren't too painful just comfortable and are worse when I have gas or have to pee
  • Loading the player...
  • Same as you @rachlee2010 Cramps aren't too bad. I asked not to take it this month but they told me better safe than sorry. My number is an 8 and apparently it just has to be above a 7 but 10 is the ideal number. Oh well, I agree, better to be safe than sorry and I'll keep shoving them up there every night. LOL
  • They never tested my progesterone. Either they just assume I need it or just do it for everyone. Not sure but I figure it can only help not hurt so I'll deal with it if it can help me get a baby
  • i'm on crinone also, 1st month.  I have only been on it for 2 days, but I have noticed more bloating this month.  Cramps just started to get bad today.

Married: 8/29/2009
    TTC- since we got married (off and on)
    TTC with focus: Since July 2015
    Currently had 2 rounds of failed IUIs, failed TI monitored cycle
    December 2015: Starting 1st IVF cycle
    January 2016: Retrieval
    March 2016: Pending Transfer (I have 3 PGS tested embryos waiting for a womb)
    April 2016: BFP, the old fashioned way.

• I did progesterone injection every night. No side effects at all except a little hormonal but nothing bad.
  • On crinone for the first time and experiencing minor cramping, fatigue, headache and sore nipples.
  • On a related note - anyone doing vaginal progesterone ? I'm wondering if it would be horrible if I took it orally . Anyone know if that's ok ?

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • *BFP mentionned*
    I'm on Prometrium (400mg divided in two doses) which can be taken both ways. I've always taken it vaginally as you apparently get less side effects. I've taken it on two cycles of letrozole and TI in the spring as I had 3 days of spotting on my first cycle. I would be really tired for the first 2 days, then I was fine. Now we did letrozole, follistim and IUI, and it seems they're doing it for everyone (it would diminish the risk of miscarriage due to low progesterone, which for some women can lead to early recurrent miscarriages). I've had more symptoms (including nausea and cramping), but I think those were due to my actual BFP more than the progesterone. I know someone who sees the same RE as me and just did an FET. She on 600mg of Prometrium, divided in three doses (morning, dinner, night). She takes it orally instead, but told me it's like she's drunk every night at dinner.
  • I took my progesterone orally 400 mg (200 in am & 200 in pm). About 45 minutes after my nightly dose, I would get so tired I would feel tipsy or drunk. My DH thought it was hilarious, and my friends thought I was drunk when we went out even though I was not drinking alcohol. It was so strange!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • We can add bloated to my list today. Ugh. So uncomfortable. I really hope I get a bfp this month to make this all worth it
  • @rachlee2010 I'm with you . So bloated I look about 4 months pregnant . I wish ! Ah - my biggest complaint right now is my moodiness and exhaustion . My husband and I were out of town this weekend and I was so snappy and so tired of walking around . I want my energy and patience back !!

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • I took my progesterone orally 400 mg (200 in am & 200 in pm). About 45 minutes after my nightly dose, I would get so tired I would feel tipsy or drunk. My DH thought it was hilarious, and my friends thought I was drunk when we went out even though I was not drinking alcohol. It was so strange!
    I'm now on my 5th day of progesterone and I feel the same way as riveridgional
    I have to take it right before I go to bed because once it kicks in, I can barely keep my eyes open and feel almost dizzy like.  It knocks me out.  I couldn't imagine being out after this kicks in.  I generally feel tired all day too, just less energy than I normally have.  I haven't experienced any leakage though.  I read on other posts to make sure and get panty liners, and I did, but really haven't needed it.

• I've been taking progesterone suppositories(inserting vaginally) of 50mg 2x daily since 1dpo and am now on CD 31 (I usually start after day 31) With severe cramping the past 3 days. I'm not supposed to start my period until tomorrow but I don't know what to do. Is this just my period? I don't usually have this much cramping before my period though. I'm no stranger to painful periods (I have endo) but these are more painful and deep. I've been taking pain meds because I figured I was going to be starting early, but after three days...what's up? Any suggestions? Any thoughts? Also, I did take 50mg of clomid from CD 5-10. Maybe that has something to do with it? Please HELP!
  • *BFP mentionned*
    Have you taken a HPT? Or do you have a beta scheduled? That kind of cramping could also mean good news (I felt like AF was coming for a whole week prior to my BFP).
  • I experienced severe cramping last month also, but it wasn't due to Progesterone because I wasn't on any.  It was due to Clomid and I would assume my ovaries being in overdrive.  I get bad cramps during regular menstrual cycles too, but this was Times 10 last month.  It eventually went away after about day 2 of AF.  Tylenol and heating pad helps.

• *BFP mentioned

Update: Took a home pregnancy test this morning and it was positive. Yay! I'm still cramping, though not as severely. I haven't heard back from my doctor yet, but for now it looks like it was just a side effect from the progesterone added on top of my implantation cramping.
  • I'm on Crinone. Took Prometrium and it was so bad for me- terrible side effects. I feel like Crinone is making me gain weight (I weighed 4 lbs more than  normal at the Dr), hungry all the time, and bloated. This is better than the severe stomach ache that promethium was giving me, but ugh! I am 1 day late for AF and have had 2 neg HPT :( .. 
  • yay! congrats @jensonallie
  • Congrats @jensonallie

@lovelifewife tell me about it, I am hungry and bloated all the time with the progesterone.  I haven't wanted to work out, I just want to eat eat eat and lay around.  My mom said this morning...."well, when you get pregnant, you are going to want to eat eat eat and lay around all the time"  so that made me smile.

• @jensonallie I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like that! Has anyone had a delayed period bc of progesterone? I'm now 4 days late and have had all negative HPTs.
  • Yes @lovelifewife last month I got a bfn on a hpt and beta and it took a full week after stopping progesterone to get my period. It sucks because when you know you're not pregnant all you want is af to come so you can start over again
  • Yes the progesterone delays AF. Last cycle, AF came 3 days after I stopped taking it.
  • Thanks Ladies- I did finally get AF- onto IUI now. I know, waiting 2 weeks is hard enough then you add a delayed AF! We are all mentally tougher than we give ourselves credit for ;) .
  • I'm on Crinone also. I haven't had any cramping yet but I do feel more bloated though (ugh). I didn't know what symptoms to expect, my RE didn't explain that to me.
  • Crinone makes me feel fat.  I wore loose sun dresses all weekend because my belly felt so big.

• I'm on Prometrium 200mg twice a day. The first day after I started taking it I had sore nipples, but after that I haven't really had any side effects. You know, aside from the pleasant discharge we all get...

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • I was on crinone and didn't get my period until 5 days after I got off of it. I also had pregnancy-like symptoms while on it. This whole process is so frustrating. On to my second IUI cycle...