July 2015 Moms

Flying with baby

About to go on our first airplane trip. Any advice for FTM flying/traveling, important things to remember to pack for vacations, no horror stories please.

Re: Flying with baby

• Easy Peasy at this age!  Pack extra diapers, change of clothes for you and baby, extra formula if you are bottle feeding and an extra paci if baby uses one.  The best advice I can give is to use a carrier as opposed to a stroller, so much easier to get around that way!  You will have to take baby out when you go through security and also for take-off and landing, but I highly recommend it!  You can check your stroller at the gate if you want to.  

Is baby a lap child or did you buy a seat?
  • Also agree that this is probably the easier stage for travel. Definitely take a carrier, but bring your stroller and gate check it if you need it at your final destination. If you are planning on taking breast milk with you, print the TSA guidelines on breast milk. Some TSA agents know the rules, majority of them don't.

I've been told to nurse or offer a bottle on both take off and landing to help the baby's ears adjust to the pressure. Idk how true this is, but I'll find out in a few weeks when we fly to Germany.
  • Loading the player...
  • Totally agree with PPs, this age is pretty easy to fly with. If baby has own seat I believe we were told on the Southwest airline that it had to be on the window seat. Other than that I have nothing to add to the great advice above.
  • It is recommended to have a seat for baby, especially since you'll probably need a car seat when you get to your destination and checking your car seat gives it an unknown history.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It willbe a lap baby but southwest said if the flight is not full we could ask to bring the car seat on and use the unused seat. We will see if the gate people also follow that rule. Going to bring the stroller w/car seat all the way to gate check and have a wrap for the flight. Good call on printing the tsa milk rules. I didn't even know they were out there.
  • It willbe a lap baby but southwest said if the flight is not full we could ask to bring the car seat on and use the unused seat. We will see if the gate people also follow that rule. Going to bring the stroller w/car seat all the way to gate check and have a wrap for the flight. Good call on printing the tsa milk rules. I didn't even know they were out there.

I always found it easier to hold them anyway, my babies were always happier that way. For us lap child is the way to go. We flew with DS in my lap from Chicago to Dublin at 20 months, I would do it again!