August 2015 Moms
Options

miracles of modern medicine...

It just hit me today that had I delivered my baby 100 years ago I very well might have died in childbirth. I was in labor over 24 hours, developed an infection, and then my uterus was boggy afterwards and I lost a fair amount of blood. If I hadn't had a shot to contract my uterus back down I might have bled out. My baby might have died too, since he picked up my infection. It just hit me out if nowhere today and it made me so thankful that we have come so far in the medical world. I'm so thankful for the nurses and doctors!!

I'm sure there's a lot of you ladies that can relate! We really have it made compared to the mothers of the past!

Re: miracles of modern medicine...

• Options
    It truly is amazing how far medicine has come! Back in the 1800s many women delivered their babies alone in a small room. Can you imagine going through childbirth alone?
  • Options
    I am grateful too after 2 CS for breech babies and doctors for preemies. I think this is what also lead to a warped sense of guilt about it, thinking I couldn't birth my own babies without doctors and an OR. Thank you modern medicine for all of our health!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nininou19nininou19 member
    edited August 2015
    Omg me too he had the cord wrapped around the neck and god only knows what could have happened if nothing had been done and if the doctor did not get him out safely. Very scary to think about.
  • Options
    I am very thankful for modern medicine. I had a homebirth but after 27 hours in labor I transferred to the hospital where it was determined that I needed a c-section. My LO was born not breathing and the NICU team was able to step in immediately at work their magic.
  • Options
    nininou19 said:

Omg me too he had the cord wrapped around the neck and god only knows what could have happened if nothing had been done and if the doctor did not get him out safely. Very scary to think about.

Same here. Plus I wasn't dialating (had one round of cytotec) but my contractions were causing a lot of strain/stress on my baby, and she had to come out via CS.
  • Options
    I'm grateful not just for modern medicine but for being lucky enough to be in the developed world... I had an uncomplicated birth this time, but Just to be able to give birth in clean and sanitary conditions with trained professional staff on hand is a blessing we take for granted!
  • Options
    My Camden would probably be dead after contacting entrovirus and viral meningitis. Thankfully, he was ok thanks to the nurses, doctors, and Ned's given to him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker