Trying to Get Pregnant

Dyeing Hair

So I have grays in my twenties. Not my whole head, but enough that it's noticeable. My OB/GYN in the past told me I should refrain from hair dyes when KU if I can. Well, I want to make an appointment for next week, but I'm in TWW. I was hoping for one last color hurrah if this was the cycle. Chances are I would still show BFN next week (I would likely be 9DPO), even if I was KU. I'm one of those people who only take approved medications, don't drink, etc. during TTC, but in this case, I'm leaning toward going for it. What would everyone here do?

Re: Dyeing Hair

• I would dye it.  I've never heard of hair dye being a problem during pregnancy...although I have heard hair bleaching is usually discouraged?  Maybe theres a hairstylist on the board that can clarify this?  I am interested because I dye my hair every 4-6 weeks...
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • Loading the player...
  • **TW - Previous BFP mentioned**

Earlier this year when I had my first BFP I talked with my dr about this. She said it's actually okay as there is no true study that shows the effects of hair dye while pregnant. (She said no scientist would actually gather a bunch of pregnant women and run tests to see the long term effects it would have on the unborn child as it would be considered unethical.) Now if you were dying your hair every other day or something crazy, then yes, that could be a problem; but if it's just the standard 8 weeks or whatever, then you should be okay. 
    Me: 30 DH: 32
    Married: 09/18/2009
    TTC #1: 01/2015
    BFP #1: May 2015 | EDD: Jan 2016 | MC: Jun 2015
    TTC#2: 07/2015

• I'm a hair dresser and this is just my opinion but I would absolutely dye my hair. While there have been numerous studies on hair color/dye and it's effect on pregnancy and the risks most of the studies are conflicting and there is still doubt as to how much of the dye is actually absorbed into your skin during the hair coloring process. Most experts have agreed that the amount is so minimal it would have no effect on the fetus.

I follow the drink til it's pink rule and apply that to all aspects of my life including coloring my hair. Once I am KU I plan to refrain from root color to avoid contact with my scalp just to be on the safe side. What is your natural color are just highlights an option? I plan to highlight my hair throughout my pregnancy as the dye never touches your scalp. It's all a matter of personal preference IMO as the studies are inconclusive.
    Naturally, I am a dark brunette and I tend to make it lighter/add red. No bleach involved. I care less about what color my hair is and more about the gray roots I am sporting. Would highlights take care of that? 

• Also, I currently use only organic hair color. Maybe you can find a salon in your area that uses organic hair color systems. Their website has a salon locator feature and lots of great information on the benefits or organic hair color.

https://organiccolorsystems.com/organic-hair-color-systems/organic-hair-color/

• FWIW, I found this article...

Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • As long as you're in a well-ventilated area, hair dye is fine during pregnancy.
    image image
  • stylist001stylist001 member
    edited August 2015
    meg032085 said. Most of the risk is actually to the hairdresser if she is pregnant as she is exposed the fumes/dyes daily. I come from a huge family of cosmetologists and most of them have taken time off during pregnancy/limited the number of color applications they would perform/worn masks to reduce the exposure.

Deeny14 unforunately no highlights won't cover your gray. If you were a light brown or a blonde then you could blend the grays with highlights but you will need root color to cover your gray. Check out the organic color website I posted above but as PP's have mentioned there's minimal risk to sticking to your normal 4-6 week color routine. I've had many, many clients continue their normal color services right up until the last month.
  • So, to add on to this question...I use a product similar to Sun-In (John Frieda Go Blonder). It is a spray, I just spritz it on the root area every 4-6 weeks then blow-dry. I have to use it more than once (usually 3-4 times) to get the color I want, usually every other day for a week. The amount used is so minimal each time though, I can't see it being a problem. Thoughts? 
    BabyGaga
  • So, to add on to this question...I use a product similar to Sun-In (John Frieda Go Blonder). It is a spray, I just spritz it on the root area every 4-6 weeks then blow-dry. I have to use it more than once (usually 3-4 times) to get the color I want, usually every other day for a week. The amount used is so minimal each time though, I can't see it being a problem. Thoughts? 

As long as you're in a well-ventilated area, you're fine.
    image image
    Again, you don't share anything with the embryo until past the 6 week mark in pregnancy so I think it would be fine. It would probably be fine after that too, but you might want to check their website to make sure.
    imageimageimage
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge

• I would absolutely dye it. You cant stop living just because you in TWW. Every time I see a question like this (or like the "should I still work out in TWW" threads) I want to yell- think about all the people that don't know they are KU or trying. They are out getting their hair done, drinking, working out, and all turns out fine!!!

Side note; a girl I work with is KU. She refuses to dye her hair, but she drinks and eats sushi. People be weird...

cat fail animated GIF

• I probably will get highlights once or twice when I am pregnant but definitely check with your doctor- I am not sure the "normal" thing to do as I have never been pregnant.

For those of you ladies that have grey hairs at the root, my mom uses something like this root touchup in between colors. https://www.sephora.com/root-concealer-for-gray-coverage-P282611

Me: 28, DH: 30 Married July 2014  DX: Severe MFI- 3 failed IUI's, IVF #1 Egg retrieval June 4th 2016, 5 day transfer- BFP Baby Boy! EDD 2/25/2017. Our sweet miracle Carter Bennett arrived 2/12/2017 6 lbs, 2 oz 19 inches. <3 Surprise BFP!!! Baby Girl due 10/1/2018.

• If you're that concerned about it, Whole Foods carries a line of plant-based dyes you could try.  Otherwise, I say just go for it!  

Me (31) & DH (35) #DFDubClub
    TTC since August 2013 - Break: Jan-June 2014
    Everything looks good on me so far.  Going in for U/S in Oct just to be absolutely sure everything is good.
    SA for DH pending.
  • I would absolutely dye it. 

***Previous PG mentioned***

I was told while PG with DS that it was totally fine as long as it was in a ventilated area. I definitely kept up my highlights while KU. 

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

I wouldn't stop using it personally. Same advice applies here as the hair dye advice I gave. Studies are inconclusive and this product is sold over the counter so it's not as strong as professional products so it's fine.
  • @Litterateur - I just saw your #DFDubClub hashtag. Way to represent. :)

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• cjt121413 said:

I would absolutely dye it. 

***Previous PG mentioned***

I was told while PG with DS that it was totally fine as long as it was in a ventilated area. I definitely kept up my highlights while KU. 
    I kept my hair color up when I was KU with my DS too. I looked super cute too in hospital pictures with my hot pink hair!
    image image
  • Deeny14 said:
    So I have grays in my twenties. Not my whole head, but enough that it's noticeable. My OB/GYN in the past told me I should refrain from hair dyes when KU if I can. Well, I want to make an appointment for next week, but I'm in TWW. I was hoping for one last color hurrah if this was the cycle. Chances are I would still show BFN next week (I would likely be 9DPO), even if I was KU. I'm one of those people who only take approved medications, don't drink, etc. during TTC, but in this case, I'm leaning toward going for it. What would everyone here do?
    I dyed my hair while pregnant. I got high lights and its fine. If you are worried see if you can get the first appointment of the morning (no fume build up). Then again, I ate rare steak, sushi, and deli meat during all my pregnancies. I don't sweat that kind of stuff because its all a roll of the dice, and there is very little you can actually do to cause problems with a pregnancy.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• yogahh said:

I would absolutely dye it. You cant stop living just because you in TWW. Every time I see a question like this (or like the "should I still work out in TWW" threads) I want to yell- think about all the people that don't know they are KU or trying. They are out getting their hair done, drinking, working out, and all turns out fine!!!

Side note; a girl I work with is KU. She refuses to dye her hair, but she drinks and eats sushi. People be weird...

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but this just doesn't sit well with me. Sometimes it is NOT fine.

**Trigger warning, Pregnancy mentioned****

Personal story, I bartended in college. If you know anything about 'that life' my coworkers and I went out drinking often. One of the other bartenders was 23 weeks pregnant before she found out. Her baby is VERY sick, he is NOT fine. Obviously this is an extreme case, both in the amount of alcohol consumed, and date of pregnancy when she found out.

I think making informed decisions about what could or could not affect your pregnancy is important. There is a difference between being knowingly reckless to the point of possibly endangering your child, and unknowingly pregnant. If you know you are pregnant you ABSOLUTELY should ask your doctor or do some research if something makes you uncomfortable.

Beyond that, I think that you should act pregnant when you're pregnant, not during the TWW. I'm all for drinking till it's pink, dying your hair (throughout pregnancy) and eating deli meat. GO CRAZY, just do your research and don't be reckless. 

• For me I am kind of the same way when it comes to what I eat and how I expose myself to things. I can deal with anything for TWW, so that when I do become pregnant I'm not questioning anything in my head. I'm only 3 months into trying, but I stopped well before to "detox" myself haha. I started eating more whole foods and try to avoid exposure to harsher chemicals. It probably won't make a difference haha

• yogahh said:

I would absolutely dye it. You cant stop living just because you in TWW. Every time I see a question like this (or like the "should I still work out in TWW" threads) I want to yell- think about all the people that don't know they are KU or trying. They are out getting their hair done, drinking, working out, and all turns out fine!!!

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but this just doesn't sit well with me. Sometimes it is NOT fine.

Maybe my wording didn't come off right and for that I apologize if it offended you. What I was trying to say is what you were able to say much more eloquently then I did- there is no need to act pregnant before you are pregnant. Whether you are actively trying or not, taking baths, dyeing hair and exercising during the tww is not harmful. Now, if you are smoking crack, I would highly recommend quiting that.

cat fail animated GIF

• @yogahh thank you!

Sorry, I wasn't very clear either. I didn't think you were telling people to go out and do crazy harmful things. The drinking part just kinda rubbed me the wrong way, probably because it hit close to home and I saw that momma struggle with her actions and regrets daily. Again, she is an extreme case. Thanks for clarifying.

• yogahh said:

**Trigger warning, Pregnancy mentioned****

Personal story, I bartended in college. If you know anything about 'that life' my coworkers and I went out drinking often. One of the other bartenders was 23 weeks pregnant before she found out. Her baby is VERY sick, he is NOT fine. Obviously this is an extreme case, both in the amount of alcohol consumed, and date of pregnancy when she found out.

I think making informed decisions about what could or could not affect your pregnancy is important. There is a difference between being knowingly reckless to the point of possibly endangering your child, and unknowingly pregnant. If you know you are pregnant you ABSOLUTELY should ask your doctor or do some research if something makes you uncomfortable.

Beyond that, I think that you should act pregnant when you're pregnant, not during the TWW. I'm all for drinking till it's pink, dying your hair (throughout pregnancy) and eating deli meat. GO CRAZY, just do your research and don't be reckless. 

There is a whole universe of difference in what you are describing & taking a bath during the TWW.

Shit, even the story you are talking about is not wanton wreckless behavior. The girl didn't even know she was pregnant.

So you are comparing apples to zucchini's & then arm-flailing hard core? Yeah, no. Slow your roll there. :-w

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• wanderingtxwanderingtx member
    edited August 2015
    yogahh said:

think about all the people that don't know they are KU or trying. They are out getting their hair done, drinking, working out, and all turns out fine!!

There is a whole universe of difference in what you are describing & taking a bath during the TWW. Shit, even the story you are talking about is not wanton wreckless behavior. The girl didn't even know she was pregnant. So you are comparing apples to zucchini's & then arm-flailing hard core? Yeah, no. Slow your roll there. :-w
    The only reason I arm flailed is because of the highlighted wording "think of all the people that don't know they're KU...drinking...and all turns out fine", like in my example, which I admitted in my post was an EXTREME case, my coworker didn't know she was KU. I'm not and did not say she was reckless, I'm saying she didn't know, made mistakes unknowingly, and is suffering now. It's awful. I meant it as a warning, and did not compare drinking to taking a bath in the TWW, just to be clear. I'm not even sure where that is coming from. I think I made my stance pretty clear on what I personally feel reckless (i.e drinking during the TWW vs. drinking during pregnancy with the thinking that "other babies turned out fine"). That's all that worried me. I didn't mean it as an attack.

I know that yogahh wasn't telling people to be reckless, and I think the rest of her post was spot on. I just think if you have the information available you should take advantage of it and do what is best for you and your child. I'm sorry that it came across as something different. 

Edit: to cut some posts out so that the quotes don't take up the whole page. 
  • Dyed my hair all the way through my pregnancy. 

Totally healthy baby.

Use the ammonia free dye. it's not really the chemicals in hair dye seeping into your system that are the real concern (those are just  trace amounts). It's the possibility of your inhaling ammonia fumes for for an hour while getting it done.
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• yogahh said:

think about all the people that don't know they are KU or trying. They are out getting their hair done, drinking, working out, and all turns out fine!!

There is a whole universe of difference in what you are describing & taking a bath during the TWW. Shit, even the story you are talking about is not wanton wreckless behavior. The girl didn't even know she was pregnant. So you are comparing apples to zucchini's & then arm-flailing hard core? Yeah, no. Slow your roll there. :-w
    The only reason I arm flailed is because of the highlighted wording "think of all the people that don't know they're KU...drinking...and all turns out fine", like in my example, which I admitted in my post was an EXTREME case, my coworker didn't know she was KU. I'm not and did not say she was reckless, I'm saying she didn't know, made mistakes unknowingly, and is suffering now. It's awful. I meant it as a warning, and did not compare drinking to taking a bath in the TWW, just to be clear. I'm not even sure where that is coming from. I think I made my stance pretty clear on what I personally feel reckless (i.e drinking during the TWW vs. drinking during pregnancy with the thinking that "other babies turned out fine"). That's all that worried me. I didn't mean it as an attack.

I know that yogahh wasn't telling people to be reckless, and I think the rest of her post was spot on. I just think if you have the information available you should take advantage of it and do what is best for you and your child. I'm sorry that it came across as something different. 

Edit: to cut some posts out so that the quotes don't take up the whole page. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I see what you are saying, but even the case you outline is incredibly rare. Its not very healthy to go arm-flailing about this kind of stuff. You cited ONE incidence. One. There are plenty of folks that do these things and the babies turn out A-ok.

I'm not advocating dangerous behavior, but drinking and hair dyeing in the TWW is NOT even remotely dangerous. You can even do these things pregnant (some midwives ok a little bit of red wine in third trimester).

My main reason that I spoke up was that you have posters on these boards that take things to the Nth degree and freak about ANYTHING.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards: