Infertility
Options

B12 deficiency causing anovulation???

My husband and I have been TTC for about a year now. I recently began seeing a general practitioner regarding what I thought were unrelated health problems. I was convinced I had hypothyroidism. Symptoms were depression, fatigue, horrendous mood swings, dementia-like brain fog and memory problems, dry skin, brittle nails, problems regulating body temperature, and my periods became extremely irregular with days and days of spotting before my actual period.  I have been having these symptoms for years but they became acute about 6 months ago.  I assumed this was all a thyroid issue. I was tested and my thyroid was fine but my white blood cell count was low. My doctor was uncertain as to what exactly was causing this. Fast forward through a couple doctor's appointments and now I'm pretty convinced that my problem is actually B12 deficiency and I've discovered that I'm not ovulating, hence the menstrual problems. I'm still waiting on test results to confirm my B12 deficiency but when I asked my doctor if B12 deficiency could cause infertility he said that he didn't think so. I also saw a separate OB/GYN the other day and she didn't seem to know anything about B12 deficiency causing infertility, although she also admitted to not knowing much about B12 at all. 

I'm really thinking/hoping that the anovulation is just a result of whatever problem I have going on (B12 most likely) and not something entirely separate. 

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had any similar experience and if they had received any different sort of information from their doctor....????

Re: B12 deficiency causing anovulation???

• Options
    I have/had a B12 deficiency.  Are you seeing a hematologist?  They should be doing a battery of tests to determine the cause of anemia.  A B12 deficiency causes anemia.  I'm pretty sure anemia can cause ovulation problems.  Are you a vegetarian?  Feel free to PM if you want to talk more.