Baby Names

Thoughts on Magnolia with sister Rose?

Hi, I'm team Green and due on Christmas day. Trying to figure out what name I'd choose if baby is a girl.

I have a son named Elias James and twin girls Rose Amelie & Jane Victoria. I have been thinking of Eden as a possibility but also love the name Magnolia. Is this considered a no-no since I have a Rose? Or not a big deal and I am overthinking it?

I also don't want to feel obligated to stick with a shorter name just because I have a Rose and Jane. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Re: Thoughts on Magnolia with sister Rose?

• I think that you are fine using Magnolia.
  • saham07 said:

I think that you are fine using Magnolia.

This
  • Loading the player...
  • Jane might feel left out? Or she might not? It's not a big deal though, certainly not a deal breaker.
  • I'm not a fan of Magnolia at all, it gets some love around here but I actually don't find it very pretty. I also think Jane, without a flower name, might feel a little slighted at some point.
  • ecwkecwk member

I'm not a fan of Magnolia at all, it gets some love around here but I actually don't find it very pretty. I also think Jane, without a flower name, might feel a little slighted at some point.

I could have written this!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not a fan of Magnolia at all, it gets some love around here but I actually don't find it very pretty. I also think Jane, without a flower name, might feel a little slighted at some point.
    I also agree with this.
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• Yeah, I am not feeling Magnolia, paired with Rose or otherwise. It just sounds silly to me. Eden is NMS, but I like it better than Magnolia. I am not a fan of alliteration with naming kids, though, especially if it is only a couple of the kids. I feel like neither name is as classic feeling as your other LOs' names.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• I actually do like Magnolia, it was on our list when we had DD2.  It's really pretty to me.

However, if you're thinking that Jane may feel slighted, would you consider Magdalene or Margaret?  
  • With all the names I don't think it's horrible and I really don't think Jane would feel left out.

• gonetotheseagonetothesea member
    edited August 2015
    Magnolia is my favorite girl's name, and I think it's fine. Jane won't feel left out since your son doesn't have a flower name, either.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• I love your names! Magnolia fits in well :)
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Magnolia is nms, but works nicely with your other names. I also think Eden Magnolia sounds pretty.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • holoceneholocene member
    edited August 2015
    I love Magnolia.

It has the potential to be viewed as a theme when paired with Rose, but since Jane & Elias are also siblings, I wouldn't side eye it at all.

ETA: Magnolia is leaps and bounds prettier than Eden. It also flows better with Jane and Rose.

• I would find something else. Not just because of the flower theme but because Magnolia seems too frilly next your other daughters' names.
    I'm not really an Eden fan either. Rose and Jane are adorable btw!
  • I personally don't like Magnolia but I think it's fine with Elias, Rose, and Jane. Perhaps Jane might wish she got a flower name but I really don't consider that a big deal... it won't scar her for life that she wasn't named 'Lily' or something.
  • I think the fact that the twins (whose names will be the first two connected) aren't both flowers means Magnolia is safe. You could always nn June as Juniper if she wants to match.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i think it is a bit cheesy with rose
    eden would be a better choice imo
  • I like Eden much better than Magnolia. I think 2 flower names is a bit cheesy, and it just doesn't go with Rose and Jane, honestly.
  • If Rose and Magnolia were the only 2 children in the family, it would be a little too precious.

The fact that you have other children sort of salvages it.  However, this particular flower name is a little too "out there" for me.  Your other four names are so normal and traditional that Magnolia really sticks out.  

That being said, I wouldn't side eye it if I were a teacher in your kids' school.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I was thinking maybe if I did a short middle name with Magnolia that it could work/flow better with the others? Like when you say just the first names I can see how they don't really flow, but maybe when said with the first and middle names? Like off the top of my head, say it was something like Magnolia Grace. So Rose Amelie, Jane Victoria, Magnolia Grace, kind of flows better than when you just say the first names?

I don't think Jane will feel left out but I suppose it might be a thought someday... All of my siblings end in an a, an "uh" sound and mine ends in a T, I never noticed till my H pointed out that mine didn't flow lol. But I guess that's not quite the same thing.

I have such a hard time with girl names. My twins didn't have names until after they were born.

What names do you think go better with Rose and Jane?

• GingerfeverGingerfever member
    edited August 2015
    Suggestions other than Cora, Claire, Kate and Alice. Those aren't really my style even though they're in the same classic type of category.
  • Magnolia is NMS but I like marigold, alternatively. Or name her Margaret and call her daisy?
  • Blythe, Bryn, Brooke, Heidi, Holly, Felicity, Julianne, Vera, Adelaide, Grace, Mary, Hope, Elyse, Noelle, Violet, Vivienne, Verity, Elise, Opal, Elizabeth, Sybil, Margaret

• No to Magnolia. No to Eden.

Love all of your other children's names... so much. I really don't think Magnolia or Eden fit with the rest.

If you don't like Claire or Alice (which I was about to suggest until seeing your recent post), how about Elise, Lydia, Marie, Sarah, or Amy. All classic and fit with Rose and Jane very nicely. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Suggestions other than Cora, Claire, Kate and Alice. Those aren't really my style even though they're in the same classic type of category.
    Rose, Jane, Elias and...

Daphne
    Pearl
    Celia
    Louise
    Margot
    Noelle
    Sadie
    Tessa
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• 4N6s4N6s member
    Cheesy.

• Suggestions other than Cora, Claire, Kate and Alice. Those aren't really my style even though they're in the same classic type of category.

Rose, Jane, Elias and...

Daphne
    Pearl
    Celia
    Louise
    Margot
    Noelle
    Sadie
    Tessa
    I like Margo and Noelle but Noelle is my middle name and Margot is a cousin the same age as my girls.

• Oops sorry weird quote ^
  • How about Frances nn Franny or Frankie?

Or...
    Eloise
    Wren
    Mabel
    Greta
    Vivian
    Briar
    Maeve
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• I love the suggestions of Amy and Sadie. These are names that I think have the same sweet girl next door vibe that Rose and Jane have.

Maya
    Bethany
    Leah
    Heidi
    Laura
    Molly
    Nina
    Phoebe
    Audrey
    Allison
  • Vivian
    Audrey
    Louise
    Elizabeth
    Evelyn
    Mary
    Renee
  • Magnolia is nms, but works nicely with your other names. I also think Eden Magnolia sounds pretty.

Yes I love that too!
  • Thanks for the options. I just don't love any of them. :/ Amy is really nms, although it might fit well with Rose and Jane. I guess Rose and Jane are the only names like that that I like, if that makes sense. I have always like a lot of other names and Rose and Jane were probably the two that didn't quite fit in with the others! Maybe it is a boy anyway and this wont even be an issue lol.
  • Margoek said:

Magnolia is nms, but works nicely with your other names. I also think Eden Magnolia sounds pretty.

Yes I love that too!
    I like it too :-) I don't think I'll end up using Magnolia as a first name, my H also seems undecided, but Eden is probably my girl name. I just can't think of others I like!
  • I'm torn because I SO love the name Magnolia. However, I think it's kind of strange with Rose. I also think Eden goes better with your sibset.

• I think nn Nolie/Noley is adorable!!