January 2015 Moms

Food Sensitivity to Oatmeal...help!

When we started solids with my 7mo old he didn't take well to it and we noticed that every time he was exposed to oatmeal he got
More and more "sick". The first few times just spitting up, which he never does, sneezing a bit too. The last time we did oatmeal cereal about 2 hours later he got very sick and starting throwing up and then dry heaving for a good 45 mins. About 3 weeks went by and after discussing with our Dr. I decided to give him puffs ( as he has become more grabby) after helping him eat about 6-8 puffs we stopped and went about our business. Same as before, 2 hours later he started throwing up...flu like symptoms. Ok...no more oat based products....got it! Next thing we decided to test him for food allergies. The test came back negative across the board....no food allergies. I'm very thankful for this. Our daycare provider tried some baby food today which consisted of pears/oatmeal. Same thing....2 hours after...vomiting violently for 2 hours and dry heaving. The reason I'm posting...has anyone else experienced this?? Am I crazy to be concerned?? Why would he get so sick from oatmeal but have nothing show up on an allergy test?? I'm at a loss and my Dr just keeps telling me he's just a picky eater. Any help/tips is greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Food Sensitivity to Oatmeal...help!

• We had an issue with my daughter when she first started oatmeal - we were using Gerber and she would get sick after each feeding. I read about Earths Best brand being much easier to digest and gave it a try. She ate it and hasn't been sick at all. Earths Best is much more ground up which helps in digesting. My pediatrician also said not to fret and to continue on with fruits and veggies and come back to oatmeal later if we wanted - but we gave Earths Best a try and are very happy with the results. Good luck!
  • I experienced this with my LO. I decided not give her anything with oatmeal.
  • Loading the player...
  • karlaj03 said:

When we started solids with my 7mo old he didn't take well to it and we noticed that every time he was exposed to oatmeal he got
    More and more "sick". The first few times just spitting up, which he never does, sneezing a bit too. The last time we did oatmeal cereal about 2 hours later he got very sick and starting throwing up and then dry heaving for a good 45 mins. About 3 weeks went by and after discussing with our Dr. I decided to give him puffs ( as he has become more grabby) after helping him eat about 6-8 puffs we stopped and went about our business. Same as before, 2 hours later he started throwing up...flu like symptoms. Ok...no more oat based products....got it! Next thing we decided to test him for food allergies. The test came back negative across the board....no food allergies. I'm very thankful for this. Our daycare provider tried some baby food today which consisted of pears/oatmeal. Same thing....2 hours after...vomiting violently for 2 hours and dry heaving. The reason I'm posting...has anyone else experienced this?? Am I crazy to be concerned?? Why would he get so sick from oatmeal but have nothing show up on an allergy test?? I'm at a loss and my Dr just keeps telling me he's just a picky eater. Any help/tips is greatly appreciated!!!

Your little one could very possibly have celiac disease. And as an FYI, all oatmeal (even "gluten free" oatmeal) will make someone with celiac sick. I'm shocked your doctor didn't know this.