June 2015 Moms

Feeding your lo...accomplishments and concerns 8/25-8/31

Re: Feeding your lo...accomplishments and concerns 8/25-8/31

• @kes166 good memory, LO is June 2! I haven't been able to get to my BF class in a week to do a transfer weight to see how much she's taking but when we give her a bottle (I use that term loosely) she has only taken 3oz which I know is not enough.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @dancegurl1118 well I hope she gets through the funk alright and that things will go back to normal soon, then!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @kes166 thanks :) I hope your LO goes back to her normal self too...maybe this is just a 12 week funk!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • It's really fascinating how very different all babies are. Since the projectile spit up incidents around week 4, my kid has only ever nursed from one side per feed. He nurses for less than 10 minutes every time (sometimes he will fall asleep and stay on longer, but he's not swallowing at that point). During the day, he eats maybe every 2 hours. At night, every 3-5, usually (sometimes every hour or two towards the end of the night; on the rare occasion, he will go a 6-7 hour stretch). And he's a big boy, not suffering at all for the short feeds!

So those of you just now experiencing this... It is definitely possible your LO can get enough from short feeds. But if that's not your LO's Normal, I can see how you'd be concerned. Hope things even out for you soon.
  • It's really fascinating how very different all babies are. Since the projectile spit up incidents around week 4, my kid has only ever nursed from one side per feed. He nurses for less than 10 minutes every time (sometimes he will fall asleep and stay on longer, but he's not swallowing at that point). During the day, he eats maybe every 2 hours. At night, every 3-5, usually (sometimes every hour or two towards the end of the night; on the rare occasion, he will go a 6-7 hour stretch). And he's a big boy, not suffering at all for the short feeds!

So those of you just now experiencing this... It is definitely possible your LO can get enough from short feeds. But if that's not your LO's Normal, I can see how you'd be concerned. Hope things even out for you soon.

This describes my LO's eating habits too. I know eventually they are supposed to get efficient enough to be able to get a full feeding out in 5 minutes, so I just assumed that was what was happening. LO has bad reflux but still gained 3lbs/month in her first two months. So I'm not worried about how short her feeds are.
  • kes166 said:

On day 2 now of eating terribly. She will eat for about 8 min on one side and then scream if I try and put her on the other. And also spit up copious amounts (she rarely spits up). Worried about my supply etc since she's not really eating. No fever. Didn't eat anything outside of the normal realm. Ughhhhhh

My LO has been doing shorter feeds, only eating on one side about half the time she eats, for about a week now. She has not been spitting up more than usual but she does freak if I try to do the other side and she doesn't want it. If I remember right, our LOs are very close in age - mine was born June 1. Makes me wonder if this is age/leap related.

Anyone else experiencing these issues around 12/13 weeks?
    Here... Never had spit up issues he just pulls off nipple and bottle and looks the other way, def not eating as much but still plenty... He was doing 6 ounces before which was a bit much so I think he's just settling down and no big growth spurt now.. In a way I'm relieved because at the rate he was gaining I wouldn't be able to carry him much longer lol

• HayesRN13 said:

kes166 said:

On day 2 now of eating terribly. She will eat for about 8 min on one side and then scream if I try and put her on the other. And also spit up copious amounts (she rarely spits up). Worried about my supply etc since she's not really eating. No fever. Didn't eat anything outside of the normal realm. Ughhhhhh

My LO has been doing shorter feeds, only eating on one side about half the time she eats, for about a week now. She has not been spitting up more than usual but she does freak if I try to do the other side and she doesn't want it. If I remember right, our LOs are very close in age - mine was born June 1. Makes me wonder if this is age/leap related.

Anyone else experiencing these issues around 12/13 weeks?
    Here... Never had spit up issues he just pulls off nipple and bottle and looks the other way, def not eating as much but still plenty... He was doing 6 ounces before which was a bit much so I think he's just settling down and no big growth spurt now.. In a way I'm relieved because at the rate he was gaining I wouldn't be able to carry him much longer lol

I'm in the same boat. My LO is also going 4 hours in between feeds during the day and just slept from 9-5. I think he's gotten super efficient and I'm also hoping his growth rate is slowing down. Otherwise my arms are going to fall off by the time he's one!
  • My kid is 12 weeks now, and suddenly spitting up a lot more. Not projectile, but just kind of constant over the past few days. And his farts reek, which never used to happen. He's pooping less often, which I know is normal. But yesterday he had a massive poop that was kind of sticky (same yellowish color it's always been).
    I'm thinking this is all fine and normal, but just wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced increased spit up or sticky/stinky diapers?

We are EBF and my kid's been pretty lucky so far in not having excessive stomach issues. The only thing I can think is I've been eating more ice cream lately... :-\"
  • My kid is 12 weeks now, and suddenly spitting up a lot more. Not projectile, but just kind of constant over the past few days. And his farts reek, which never used to happen. He's pooping less often, which I know is normal. But yesterday he had a massive poop that was kind of sticky (same yellowish color it's always been).
    I'm thinking this is all fine and normal, but just wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced increased spit up or sticky/stinky diapers?

We are EBF and my kid's been pretty lucky so far in not having excessive stomach issues. The only thing I can think is I've been eating more ice cream lately... :-\"

LO is 12 weeks today. We started experiencing exactly what you're describing. He doesn't go as often, his farts reek sometimes, and his poop is also kind of sticky. Same yellowish color too. His diapers are more full than they used to be. He is also EBF and I just chalked it up to changes in their digestive system.

He was spitting up more, but that has died down. Our pedi told us to lay him on his right side after feeds. Not sure what that does but it seems to be working....
  • @virginiaunicorn11 spitting up definitely more these last few days as well as increased saliva and drooling. And not eating the same. 13w tomorrow. Bah.
  • Super. Thanks so much, ladies! I will just continue calling him Stinky Cheese Man rather than worrying, then.
  • Super. Thanks so much, ladies! I will just continue calling him Stinky Cheese Man rather than worrying, then.

We call LO stinky cheese man, too!
  • Looking for some advice... This has been a problem for a few weeks and is getting worse every day....

LO (14 weeks) is refusing his bottle all day, but guzzles it down in the evening and MOTN (I EP due to poor latch). From the time he wakes up in the morning, until about 5pm, I'm lucky if he takes 10oz. Then from 5pm- bedtime he takes 15oz, and eagerly takes his MOTN feed. He has been giving me a 4-5 hour stretch of sleep, but I feel like it would be longer if we could work out his eating schedule- bc clearly he can go longer without eating! I tried to soothe him to sleep in the MOTN without feeding him, but he screamed until I gave in and fed him.

Any suggestions? I'm getting desperate to get him back to a normal schedule!

Pregnancy Ticker

• So we're still going through our bottle issues. The newest thing in the past week is that she will take about 2 oz.. And then poop and refuse to take anymore. Full on screaming after we change her. Times ticking down before I go to work and I'm really starting to sweat.
  • amccoy129 said:

My kid is 12 weeks now, and suddenly spitting up a lot more. Not projectile, but just kind of constant over the past few days. And his farts reek, which never used to happen. He's pooping less often, which I know is normal. But yesterday he had a massive poop that was kind of sticky (same yellowish color it's always been).

LO is 12 weeks today. We started experiencing exactly what you're describing. He doesn't go as often, his farts reek sometimes, and his poop is also kind of sticky. Same yellowish color too. His diapers are more full than they used to be. He is also EBF and I just chalked it up to changes in their digestive system.

He was spitting up more, but that has died down. Our pedi told us to lay him on his right side after feeds. Not sure what that does but it seems to be working....
    Same for us but 10weeks!

• So we're still going through our bottle issues. The newest thing in the past week is that she will take about 2 oz.. And then poop and refuse to take anymore. Full on screaming after we change her. Times ticking down before I go to work and I'm really starting to sweat.

Can't offer any helpful advice just wanted you to know your not alone. Three weeks until I go back to work and LO is completely refusing the bottle at this point. DH used to be able to give him a feed of pumped milk 3.5-5 oz- now he just screams and cries until I cave and give him the boob. So nervous about going back for 12.5 hour shifts when he wont take the bottle.

We just went on a five day trip- I spent much of it locked in a room with baby cluster feeding for five hours on end at nighttime. Dad was trying to help but baby just continued to scream. We are starting tonight to try to give a bottle every day for one or two feeds. I am totally dreading this. Any mamas who had similar problems- any advice to solve? I have tried leaving the room and the house so he doesn't know I'm there but baby just cries and cries. My hearts breaking.

• I also am now having issues with LO taking a bottle. He had no qualms about it up until two weeks ago (around 10 week mark). He only wants the boob at this point. He pushes the nipple from the bottle out with his tongue and fights it until I just give in and feed him from the breast. I have tried leaving the room, having someone else feed and at this point he just seems to have formed a dislike to the whole bottle situation.
  • Are those with the bottle needing to increase the flow with a higher level nipple? LO always gets a pumped bottle of milk before bed to get his tummy nice and full and right around 10 weeks he started smacking at the nipple like he couldn't get the milk fast enough, I went to the #2 nipple and the smacking has resolved.
  • katyqvkatyqv member
    edited September 2015
    Has anyone had to transition from ready to feed formula to powder? I've been an EP until recently as I began supplementing with RTF formula. Since LO has been doing well on this formula, we decided to buy the powder because we're now increasing her formula feedings and because of the cost. 

Well, LO will barely eat any of the powdered formula. Is the RTF stuff that much different? 

Eta grammar
  • I also am now having issues with LO taking a bottle. He had no qualms about it up until two weeks ago (around 10 week mark). He only wants the boob at this point. He pushes the nipple from the bottle out with his tongue and fights it until I just give in and feed him from the breast. I have tried leaving the room, having someone else feed and at this point he just seems to have formed a dislike to the whole bottle situation.

LO had been refusing the bottle every day but we have been having some success with tommee tippee bottles with the breast milk really warm (104-105 degrees). He will absolutely not drink it if it is any colder. I leave the house completely but I'm not sure if that matters or not.
  • @teather5 I want to take my LO to a chiro to get adjusted, but DH won't allow it. Please report back if you go!

Accomplishment: despite LO's hatred of the car seat, this was not me: https://www.hotmomsclub.com/this-woman-was-pulled-over-for-driving-while-breastfeeding/
  • @teather5 @virginiaunicorn11 LO has been seeing a Chiro regularly. Between the surprise breech birth at home and the ties, it seemed like a good idea. We went to PT once but they just told us they didn't see any problems with him. Just make sure they see a lot of kids and try to get personal referrals. Our pediatrician actually recommends Chiro
  • @Kmar123456 @dancegurl1118
    Any luck with the bottle? We're still struggling. He took about an ounce last night from dr Browns bottle then continued to scream bloody murder. I was out doing laundry so wasn't even in the house. We tried warming the nipple and the milk. I tested the milk for lipase taste.. Nothing. After I finished laundry I went to BRU and bought the playtex naturalatch with medium flow nipples and the natural avent bottles with a 1+ month nipple. I also got a medium flow nipple for the dr Browns bottle. All in all spent about 60 dollars on bottles and nipples and just going to try each for a few days and see if something sticks. Hubby has been trying different positions to feed. Sitting down, standing up , facing out, in the bouncer seat. Think we will try to dip the nipple in sugar water. Also heard that sometimes if they will latch on your pinky that you can slide the nipple in beside pinky and then take pinky away. Don't know if it will work but worth a shot. I'm so miserable thinking that he will cry and not eat while in gone for 14 hours..... How will that work? Let me know if you guys have any success with anything. Also going to get a medicine dropper to see if he will comply with that if he won't take a bottle....
  • @AlwaysSunny1012
    Were you using different bottles before the tommee tippee? Are you still using slow flow nipple? My little guy is still refusing and I'm pulling out my hair.
  • @momtobe613 LO took almost 4 oz last night from a MAM bottle. I had her laying on my legs because she refuses when sitting up. It may have been a fluke but I'll take it. Ugh I've spent so much on bottles ~X( she refused earlier in the evening from me so I'll try her again laying down tonight. Good luck...this sucks.
  • @dancegurl1118
    Glad you got 4 oz in your precious little one. That's a great start!!! Hey if I run through al these bottles with no success MAM is up next, thanks!!! Are you feeding her lying completely flat or propped up a little? My guy is a side lying nurser so just trying to see if there Are any patterns!!
  • We saw a speech pathologist and she recommended feeding the bottle with him on his side on our legs/boppy, etc head elevated a little. This allows them to curl up and bring hands in better to chest.

On a side note, LO has stopped transferring milk efficiently again while nursing, still pumping same amount. Going back to therapist as it is making me majorly bummed the second time around as I had allowed myself hope.
  • @momtobe613 she was pretty flat. I forgot to save a bottle and not freeze the whole thing this AM when I pumped so the next try will have to be tomorrow. Keep me updated! Hoping it just clicks for our babies.
  • @dancegurl1118 thanks for the well wishes!! Will your baby not take frozen &thawed? We've been using fresh too.
  • edited September 2015
    Anyone else not tried a bottle at all yet? I keep meaning to but I haven't yet. I pumped once so my freezer stash is a whole two ounces. I'm not really in a rush because I'm not going back to work this time and for some reason nobody's knocking down the door offering to babysit three kids. I don't want to wait too long to introduce a bottle, and yet... lazy.
  • @momtobe613 I haven't tried yet. I'm just super anal about my stash and getting as much as I can before I go back in 2.5 weeks (which is actually pretty stupid if she won't take a bottle because then she can't take that milk...HA!)
  • @dancegurl1118

I totally hear you about the stash. I've been stock piling my freezer and now with a baby that won't take a bottle I keep envisioning dumping all that hard pumped breast milk. What a waste that would be. But you just made me realize something. All the times LO has refused a bottle it's been a fresh pumped bottle in the fridge meaning I pumped it that morning and put it in fridge for dad to give later. All the times baby has bee given a bottle before that it has been frozen and thawed. I know it's usually the opposite problem- baby doesn't want frozen and thawed milk but maybe my Lo is weird?? Going to have to try- thanks for giving me another avenue of thought even if it is a slim chance!!
  • @slr1229 our dr Browns leak all the time. I hate it sooooo much but they are all we can use given her reflux and gas issues. It super annoying though.

Re: nipples, we moved to size 2 medium flow this week at 13 weeks but she's having trouble getting used to it... Lots of choking and she's eating much more than normal since she's eating faster. Like she will take down 7 ounces in once sitting. Not sure how to make sure she digests before deciding she needs more!

LO had been refusing the bottle every day but we have been having some success with tommee tippee bottles with the breast milk really warm (104-105 degrees). He will absolutely not drink it if it is any colder. I leave the house completely but I'm not sure if that matters or not.
    We use the same bottles. I will try warming it up more and seeing if that helps! Thanks for the tip .
  • @Kmar123456 @dancegurl1118
    Any luck with the bottle? We're still struggling. He took about an ounce last night from dr Browns bottle then continued to scream bloody murder. I was out doing laundry so wasn't even in the house. We tried warming the nipple and the milk. I tested the milk for lipase taste.. Nothing. After I finished laundry I went to BRU and bought the playtex naturalatch with medium flow nipples and the natural avent bottles with a 1+ month nipple. I also got a medium flow nipple for the dr Browns bottle. All in all spent about 60 dollars on bottles and nipples and just going to try each for a few days and see if something sticks. Hubby has been trying different positions to feed. Sitting down, standing up , facing out, in the bouncer seat. Think we will try to dip the nipple in sugar water. Also heard that sometimes if they will latch on your pinky that you can slide the nipple in beside pinky and then take pinky away. Don't know if it will work but worth a shot. I'm so miserable thinking that he will cry and not eat while in gone for 14 hours..... How will that work? Let me know if you guys have any success with anything. Also going to get a medicine dropper to see if he will comply with that if he won't take a bottle....

My mil tried feeding him last night and he got about an ounce, however just for that amount it took her trying about 45 minutes at least. He just all of a sudden hates it and automatically turns his head inward looking for the breast.
  • @Kmar123456

Same exact situation here. How old is your Lo?? Let me know if you have any luck- I'll keep you posted on this end.
  • @momtobe613 he will be 3 months on the tenth. Definitely keep me posted and I will do the same. I have been a member on here for a while but didn't really post a lot. I am still trying to figure all of this out on here.
  • @ChardeeMacDennis my LO gets a bottle like 3 times a week from DH but I barely have anything in the freezer and mostly just nurse. I'm not going back to work either and hang no motivation to pump. The only reason he gets bottles is of DH & I go somewhere or I have wine!