1st Trimester

Diclectin - should I stop?

I had an odd experience with my doctor at my first check-in (8 weeks). At 5 weeks I started getting so sick that I could barely sit up, let alone work, so I was prescribed Diclectin by a different doc at the clinic. I read a lot about it and it seemed pretty common and safe and it made me SO much better. I was a bit surprised at my appt yesterday when my doctor didn't know much about the drug at all. Isn't it pretty commonly used? She told me I should stop taking it cold turkey. Now I'm kind of freaked out and wonder if I caused any damage by taking it. Is anyone else on it? Is it safe?

Re: Diclectin - should I stop?

• If your doctor recommended stopping, I would. There are a lot of meds out there, perhaps this is one she doesn't regularly prescribe. I would ask her for a replacement if you are concerned. Chances are she works with a drug that she is more comfortable with.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I take diclegis for nausea and it's been a tremendous help. Not familiar with diclectin.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP if your doctor wants you to stop then there really isn't a question of should you stop.  Try calling your Doctor and asking them why they are concerned.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • edited August 2015
    I took diclectin from week 8 of my pregnancy right till 39w5d when I had my son.... It was the only thing that helped with my sickness, I was sick for 9 months straight still, but instead of puking 10-12 times a day I was down to 4-6 times daily !

Edit to add... My son is now almost 4, he was 9.7 lbs being born, he's extremely smart, and advanced for his age group.
  • My OB prescribed Diclegis (which is the US version of Diclectin) and said it's one of the only category A pregnancy drugs, pretty much as safe as you get without drinking sugar pills. It's just an antihistamine and vitamin B6. 

Talk to your doctor again, are they sure they don't know much about it?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't understand why your doctor would say this. It is very common and pp is right that is is just antihistamine and B6. I took for months with no side effects other than the nausea was greatly reduced.  Normally I would never post against a doctor recommendation but this seems odd.
  • mamabounimamabouni member
    edited August 2015
    @Devley526 it is odd, right? I would normally always take direction from my doc but I feel like the reason she told me to stop was because she didn't know anything about the meds, not because she felt they were unsafe. I've known a number of people who took diclectin with no issues. Maybe I need a 2nd opinion (or a new doc). Thanks for the reply!
  • @maelic you raise a good point. She's from the U.S. So maybe she's not familiar with the Canadian version. She was familiar with zofran but from what I've read it has a lesser safety rating!
  • @amberrmariee20 oh wow. That still sounds like a rough experience but I'm glad they helped and that you have such a healthy, happy boy! Thanks for sharing your experience!