May 2016 Moms

HCG Levels - too low

Sunami88Sunami88 member
edited August 2015 in May 2016 Moms
I went for a blood test to confirm pregnancy and my blood tests shows positive but HCG levels is only 34. It has been 15 days since conception so technically only 2 weeks pregnant but 4 weeks if you count from my period. Anyway I have been reading up online and a low HCG at 4 weeks could mean ectopic or likelihood of miscarriage. Does anyone have advice for me?

Re: HCG Levels - too low

• Don't let that get to you. I know people who have went on to have normal pregnancy with low betas the first time. I was only at 59.4 Friday and Monday I shot up to 164.1.

It's nerve wrecking. You just have to try not sto stress yourself. All that matters is your numbers double every 48 hours. Some people don't double but every 72 tho. Relax and get another beta done. Fingers crossed darling!
  • Did you temp to confirm when ovulation occurred? Maybe you are earlier then you think. Hope everything works out for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • kbru88 said:

Did you temp to confirm when ovulation occurred? Maybe you are earlier then you think. Hope everything works out for you!

That was what I first thought, too. It's possible you aren't as far along as you think. My BFP was 10DPO.

Hope you get good news soon, OP!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I checked when I ovulated with an ovulation predictor kit and it was positive on 7th August. My last period started on July 27th so I am assuming I conceived on 7th August as we didn't have sex after that date. I had some brown spotting on Saturday and today and I assumed it's implantation bleeding.
  • You could have Ovulated after the 7th. Sperm survives for a few days.

Hope your spotting is just spotting and nothing more.
    *Siggy Warning*

• You could have Ovulated after the 7th. Sperm survives for a few days. Hope your spotting is just spotting and nothing more.
    That's what I thought - I know when I ovulated and we only had sex two days before that (and in the morning, too). 

I don't know enough about what levels should be to offer any real advice, but I hope everything works out!
  • Brown spotting is "usually" ok in pregnancy - it's "old" blood.  Bright red is more concerning, though things can still be OK.  It is still really scary/nerve wracking, though!

What did the Doctor's office say about the betas?

image        image

• I have to go for more blood tests to see if my levels are doubling. I am certain the brown spots is implantational as it was not red, just looked like old dark blood and was so little. If the brown spots only occurred a few days ago does this mean it's possible I implanted super late? Could I have implanted 2 weeks after ovulation.
  • I mean, they say implantation could be anywhere from 5-12 days, so I don't think 14 days is out of the realm of possibility. 

But if you got the spotting after a positive pregnancy test, then it probably isn't implantation spotting - you have to have implanted before you get a BFP (that's what starts the hcg production in your body).

No matter, though, a lot of women have a lot spotting throughout their entire pregnancy.  It's normal and although worrisome, it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad is going to happen.  Especially brown spotting - brown = old blood.

image        image

• I know this is super nerve wracking.  Fingers crossed for doubling betas.

image        image

• Thank you so much. Just can't understand why the levels are so low.
  • I know.  When do you go back for another blood draw?

image        image

• On Friday - 72 hours after first one
  • Implantation bleeding can happen several days after actual implantation - my mom JUST told me a story about how she got a positive test after a missed period, bled two days later like she was starting her period, but then the bleeding stopped again after a couple days.

I'm also suspicious this happened to me with my last pregnancy. Positive test, started "period" the same day. Bled for 3.5 days and didn't think to test again till my next "missed period." When baby was born midwife said he had signs of being 4 weeks past due! That was past the due date we calculated on that 3.5 day LMP.

Point being you just never know :)
    Married 8 years, mommy to 2 boys with new baby due early May!
  • That's fine, but I would just call that spotting, not implantation bleeding.

image        image

• I am not bleeding though, its just small dark brown spots around 1cm in diameter. Can that be implantation bleeding or is implantation bleeding more heavier?
  • I'm sorry, OP, to be honest, I don't think there is any way we could answer that question.  I hope Friday comes quickly for you.

image        image

• Did they measure your progesterone as well? That happened to me in first pregnancy they told me based on hcg it was chemical but then the numbers doubled. They put me on a progesterone suppository. This time we started the progesterone right after Iui and the numbers were much better today. Good luck!!!!
  • So I went for the second test today as it is 48 hours later and the number did not double. It increased to 49 from 34.

I am so confused, worried and trying to be hopeful.
  • I'm sorry. I think only time will tell. I have heard stories ending in viable pregnancies with numbers that double every 72 hours. Good luck. 
    After 3 losses,our rainbow baby is finally here! DD May 2012, #2 May 2016
  • Thank you. Praying for a higher number on Monday
  • Had some light pink spotting, could this be a miscarriage
  • Sunami88 said:

Had some light pink spotting, could this be a miscarriage

I've read that red blood is the time to really be concerned, but if you're worried, call your doctor.
    *Siggy Warning*