TaTa Tuesday Chat - 8/25 with Gina Ciagne — The Bump
Breastfeeding

TaTa Tuesday Chat - 8/25 with Gina Ciagne

Happy TaTa Tuesday, Bumpies!

Today, from 12-1PM EST, Gina Ciagne will be in THIS thread to answer all your breastfeeding questions! 

Her username is @GinaCiagne

By taking part in the conversation on this thread, you're automatically entered to win! We’ll pick four winners per chat, and each winner receives one prize pack. Here’s what you could take home:

Lansinoh Prize Pack (Milk Storage Bags and Nursing Pads)

Baby K'tan Prize Pack (Diaper Bag, Burp Cloth, and Onesie)

Boppy Luxe Pillow and Boppy Nursing Cover  

Ingrid & Isabel Prize Pack (Drop Cup Nursing Bra, Crossover Nursing Cami, Cami Bra) 

Click here for sweepstakes rules. 

A little about Gina:
A nationally recognized expert on breastfeeding, Gina Ciagne, CLC, has been an active advocate for breastfeeding and women’s health for more than a decade. As a Certified Lactation Counselor and La Leche League International-trained breastfeeding peer counselor, she has worked with and provided advice and support to thousands of breastfeeding mothers around the world. As Vice President of Global Healthcare Relations for Lansinoh, Ms. Ciagne oversees the company’s global outreach to and engagement with professional communities, including lactation counselors, nurses, doctors and major medical and women’s health centers. Gina is also the proud mother of two breastfed children.  

This thread will open for your questions today at 12PM EST. 

See you right here!

Re: TaTa Tuesday Chat - 8/25 with Gina Ciagne

• bumptarabumptara
    Moderator 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments
    admin
    edited August 2015
    Welcome Bumpies and Happy TaTa Tuesday! We're so glad you made it to this August's final TaTa Tuesday. 

We are thrilled to have @GinaCiagne here to answer all of your breastfeeding questions.

Just tag her to ask your question :)

Don’t forget - four lucky participants will each win one of the prize packs listed above! You are automatically entered to win by participating in the chat. 

@BumpCaitlin and I will be on hand to help with any tech issues during the chat. Just tag or PM one of us and we'll be able to help you. 
  • Hi Bumpies--Glad to be here with you today on the Bump! and Happy TaTa Tuesday!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hello @GinaCiagne,

Thank you for answering our questions today! My LO is due in October, and I’m excited and nervous about breastfeeding. I’ve heard it can be challenge for some, and to gather as much information as possible. I’m having a hard time making it to area breastfeeding classes or meetings, and I’m wondering if there are any online classes you recommend?

• edited August 2015
    @GinaCiagne Hello! I'm afraid to nurse in public because of my leaking! My LO is 10 weeks. The breast I'm not feeding on will pour milk, drenching me and baby. Any tips to get around this while on the go? And do you think it will ever stop?
  • grapesoda1111grapesoda1111
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited August 2015
    Hi @GinaCiagne ;

I'm due in November and starting to worry about breastfeeding. I was all for it for all of my pregnancy until now. I am starting to have doubts, with just all the troubles I hear some women have (I rarely read a good breastfeeding story). I am seeing a LC and am planning on going to breastfeeding classes in the fall. What is the #1 tip you have for breastfeeding women? I'm just worried about not producing enough, or producing too much. Thank you :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi @GinaCiagne! My question is how common is lip/ tongue tie? We had a hard time with latching with my first and the LC said he had a lip tie. We took him to the pediatrician who disagreed. We struggled through the latch keeping at it. Turned out his jaw was just really small ( he was a tiny baby at 5lbs full term) and didn't latch well until his jaw grew. I'm concerned that I will have the same mis diagnosis with my second due in October. I'm very apprehensive of doing any sort of procedure and want to be sure that that is the correct step to take. I do hope this time around will be easier for us.
  • @fayemu Thanks for your question.  First of all congratulations!! I happen to be an October baby as well :)  It is normal to be both excited and nervous especially about something you haven't done before.  It's really important to know that your body was made for this and your baby will intuitively know what to do though sometimes they need some assistance.  It's definitely a learned skill but one that can definitely be learned together with  your baby.  As much as you can get information about what to expect, what is normal, and what may want some follow up before you have baby.  I know this IBCLC Debbie Page and she is really great and super helpful in her online classes.   http://www.thenewbornbaby.com/online-breastfeeding-class/index.html  Your hospital or birthing center will likely also have classes that you can take as a part of your pre-delivery class work that covers what to expect with labor and delivery, baby care skills and many offer a breastfeeding class.  It may seem odd to take a class before baby is here but it can be really helpful.  Take care and you can do it!  Gina
    fayemu
  • Hi @GinaCiagne! My LO is six weeks old and I've struggled with supply issues the whole time. My LC and I have tried everything (triple feelings, power pumping, nursing vacations, and SNS, along with every galactagouge I've ever heard of) and I'm at my wits end and want to quit. Is there still time for my supply to come up? Any tips on other things I should try?

Thanks!

• Hi @GinaCiagne

I am a FTM due in February. I'm really nervous about having to breastfeed and go back to work. I know every woman is different, but I'm wondering how long women can usually go in between pumping? I go to work at 730 and can go home for lunch at 1130, so I'm hoping I won't have to pump at work and can pump before work and during lunch. is 5 hours in between pumping too long?

I'm going to take a breastfeeding class in my area, so I'm hoping that will help with learning some techniques. I'm very overwhelmed by all of the information! I guess it's just trial and error once it's comes time to breastfeed.
  • Sjeff0816 as baby latches on it is usual that the other breast will leak as the milk lets down in both.  Wearing a good, super absorbent nursing pad will help capture the leaks and will ease your mind as you nurse your baby in public.  It is common, the more accustomed your body gets to how much milk your baby needs to slow down on the leaking.  Some moms, like me, leaked all the time I was nursing and others only leaked in the first few months.  It will generally get better. Keep a few nursing pads with you so if one gets full you can change--important for keeping skin dry and healthy.  Gina
    YouAreMySunshine15
  • mjschenkmjschenk
    500 Love Its 100 Comments Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    @GinaCiagne I was told at the hospital that baby will eat for seven minutes before getting to the hind milk. Although this seemed logical at the point at two months old doesn't seem to make sense to me. I was wondering how long it most likely takes to get to the hind milk?
  • grapesoda1111  its so normal to be nervous and I totally understand it can be overwhelming.  THe best piece of advice is one that you are already gotten which is to seek out information before baby comes so you know what to expect.  Meeting with an LC is a great way to do that so she can explain how breastfeeding and production works on a supply and demand and how to recognize baby's feeding cues.  It is important to know that baby's tummy is so small when they are born and they need to eat often to refill their tummy.  Many moms worry about supply but it isn't that they don't have enough, it is that they don't realize that babies eat a lot and that it is really normal.  Taking a breastfeeding class, gathering information from reputable sources like La Leche League, the Bump, and others is good so, again, you know what to expect.  We have a lot of supportive materials on our website www.lansinoh.com and we also have the Lansinoh Moms Club that you can sign up for which will give you helpful information during pregnancy and breastfeeding tailored according to your due date.  Take care and be confident--your body will make the milk, you just have to be attuned to your baby to replenish and refill. Gina
    grapesoda1111
  • ngarcia1119  Great question.  Lip and/or tongue tie can be common though it is getting easier to identify and diagnose.  It is helpful in many cases to have an IBCLC assess your baby's mouth, tongue, and lip to see if it is the same situation and she can help triage with the doctor so you can avoid another misdiagnosis.  The good thing is that you are aware of it now and know the signs so that will help as well.  If you need help finding an LC in your area, there is a locator in the Lactation Consultant Association website: ilca.org  Best wishes!
  • asherk  I'm sorry this has been such a hard time for you with your supply.  Its good you have been working with an LC and all the things you have tried, I would also suggest.  Has she done a history with you as far as any medications you may be taking as some can impact supply.  Even something like allergy medicine or decongestants can impact supply as well.  I presume you have been supplementing as well as baby needs to get fed but do you pump when baby is being fed by someone else? It is important for your body to get continual and regular stimulation from baby or from pumping.  This would apply for stimulation throughout a 24 hour period so if baby is sleeping at night, it is important to pump when baby would usually nurse to get that stimulation.  The Infant Risk Center is a great resource if you want to discuss any medications that you are taking and they can advise on whether it will be impacting milk supply  infantriskcenter.com  
    asherk
  • Hi @GinaCiagne!

2 questions!
    -I currently only have nursing bras with underwire. I've heard these don't work as well as no wire, but I'm quite endowed. Are non-wire bras necessary and should I have one when I go into the hospital for delivery?

-from what I am now finding out, food goes more directly to the baby through breastfeeding than in before birth. I've steered clear from all alcohol during pregnancy and lowered my caffeine. Should I be even more drastic in these measures when breastfeeding? I've been really looking forward to the occasional beer.
  • Hi @ginaciagne!

How does Fenugreek, lactation cookies, oatmeal, etc. affect your milk supply? If you continue to use/eat them once your supply is where you want it to be will it continue to increase to an oversupply?

With my first son my supply tanked around 10 months and I tried everything to increase my supply but had to rely on my stash to get us to a year. I'm wondering if I could proactively try these this time before I notice my supply dip. We're good now at 4 months. I'm back to work and able to pump about one bottle more a day than he drinks while I'm away. I pump after I nurse him in the morning, 2-3x at work, and after he goes to bed.

That leads me to a second question - I've noticed that his stools aren't as seedy as they once were. Could he be getting too much fore milk in the morning? Am I creating an oversupply because of my pumping sessions? He only nurses on one side. My breasts are pretty full in the morning and I can pump a whole bottle from the side he doesn't nurse.

Thank you!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • robinj716  ideally, when you and baby are apart, you would pump at the same time baby would normally be nursing so your body gets the regular stimulation it is waiting for and so you can express your milk to leave behind for your baby.  It is not ideal to wait 5 hours before pumping or nursing but if that is what you can do it is good to nurse and/or pump before you leave and during lunch and nurse your baby whenever you are together.  I am not sure what your working environment is but the Affordable Care Act does protect breastfeeding and pumping moms at work and employers are to give time and a clean space (not the bathroom!) to pump because it is so important in keeping supply when mom and baby are apart.  Here is more information (click on affordable care act in the article)  https://www.lansinoh.com/help-advice/returning-to-work

its great you will take a class beforehand as that will be helpful in knowing what to expect. 

robinj716
  • mjschenk we don't recommend timed feedings any longer as it is variable between babies and moms.  It really depends on how long baby fed before the next session and it depends on baby's suction strength as to how long it will take for them to get to the fattier milk.  The best recommendation lactation professionals give is to let your baby nurse as long as they wish on the first breast. When they slow down and seem finished, burp the baby and then offer the next breast.  It is common that babies will only nurse on one side and then start with the other at the next feeding.  If baby does nurse on both baby will more likely nurse for a while on the one and a little on the second so when you start with that second the fattier milk will come more quickly. 
    mjschenk
  • ngarcia1119  I just wanted to add that many worry about the procedure of correcting a tongue or lip tie but it is virtually pain-free for the baby and they can resume nursing very quickly. It can actually be more painful for the baby to have the lip or tongue tie and to try to breastfeed because the connective tissue doesn't give that much.  In the end, a correct diagnosis is important but I wanted to put your mind at ease about the procedure. 
  • Thanks @GinaCiagne. That last bit does help put my mind at ease.
  • babehme  Congratulations!  on your first question regarding underwire vs. no underwire, the strong recommendation is no underwire. There are many companies that make great supportive nursing bras without underwire.  The underwire can restrict milk flow, cause plugged ducts and is generally best avoided.  It would be ideal to bring it to the hospital with you.

On your second question, it is important to be mindful of what you are eating and drinking when nursing but you don't have to be as restrictive as you were when pregnant.  Food and liquids do get metabolized but it is important to remember that moderation is key especially with alcohol.  A few drinks have not been shown to be an issue with breastfeeding, however, it can inhibit let-down and it can affect your supply. It can also affect baby in that it can make them more drowsy and sleepy and that can impact your supply if baby is not nursing regularly.  Here is some more information:   

• @GinaCiagne
    Hi! I am a FTM to a 7 week old baby girl..our breastfeeding journey has been very challenging. She spent 7 days in NICU and things seemed to be going well at discharge with feeding 15min each side then they had me give bottle and pump. When we got home we were having big time latch issues and I was pretty much exclusively pumping but continued to work at it and now doing much better. The issue is she falls asleep at the breast, sometimes after only 5min. She continues to nurse sometimes and other times she is dead to the world. She doesn't unlatch while sleeping though, she continues to comfort herself at the breast. The only way she will wake up is when I lay her down but when she is put back to the breast she falls back to sleep.

She continues to have enough diapers throughout the day and appears to be gaining weight but my concern is she isn't getting enough milk. The feedings can last for an hr + just because its hard to keep her up. Its constant put down--pick up--switch sides and it's a little exhausting! She doesn't sleep after feedings like she does when she gets a bottle of expressed milk. I know my supply is adequate so that isn't the issue. Please let me know if you have suggestions for me! Thanks!!
  • @GinaCiagne I pump but have to supplement with formula because I don't produce enough to feed my almost 8 week old DS. Right now he gets two breast milk bottles and then some breast milk in the remaining bottles with the formula throughout the day (except the middle of the night). My question is, is this the best way to give him both breast milk & formula? Or should I mix them for all the bottles? I have been giving him just breast milk because they seemed to help him have a dirty diaper. Thanks for your help.
  • cabartosh  Thanks for your questions.  Many of those things do work for supply so incorporating them into your diet is a good thing and can keep supply concerns at bay.  the best way to keep up your supply is to feed on demand and whenever you and baby are together and pumping whenever you and baby are apart and on a schedule so your body gets the regular stimulation it expects even when you and baby aren't together.  some moms wonder about their supply but don't realize that their body thinks it doesn't need to make as much because while she and baby were apart she wasn't pumping or when someone else fed baby she didn't stimulate her breasts by pumping.  Sounds like you have a great combination with everything you are doing so keep it up!  I didn't have supply issues but didn't want to have them so I ate granola bars, steel cut oatmeal (not the instant kind), strawberries, etc.

About stools, good to check with your ped on that to be sure but it is normal the older they get for their stools to change.  As long as he is gaining weight and your ped hasn't got concerns, should be fine. Its a normal schedule you seem to have that doesn't seem it would be an issue. 

• Thanks I do generally follow what you described just sometimes he stops around 7-8 minutes so I'll burp him and switch sides just wondered if I should put him back on the same side or switch like I have been. He seems to be gaining steadily so I have not worried to much.
  • Hi @GinaCiagne, as a FTM how do I know what foods/beverages I need to avoid while breastfeeding? Is it the same list as things to avoid while pregnant?
  • @GinaCiagne my little Guy was given à prescription for thrush. He has a white tounge it is no where else in his mouth. I wasn't prescribed anything for myself. What symptoms Should I be looking for myself?
    Does thrush ever clear up on its own? I finished 3/4 of the bottle for LO and his tounge looks much better, however (parenting fail) I spilled the last of the bottle on the couch. Should I get the prescription refilled?

Thank you :)
  • StephanieMartin519  Thanks for your questions and for sharing your story.  It can be super frustrating for baby to be falling asleep at the breast--both of my kids did the same thing!  It is a very calming and soothing thing to be breastfeeding ---its nourishing but also nurturing and the skin to skin coziness makes them sleepy.  Also, the hormone oxytocin that is let out when nursing can also make baby (and mom) drowsy and sleepy too.  You may want to try a more upright nursing position like the football hold where you have baby more sitting up facing the breast and your forearm and hand supporting baby's back and neck. When nursing, gently massage your breast so the milk continues to flow so even if baby is only nursing a few minutes, she is getting enough milk.  My second child was a much quicker nursing baby than my first and I thought something was wrong but he was gaining weight and it was just that he was quicker and nursed in 5 minutes while my daughter took 15 min or longer.  I know it is exhausting but the time between feeds will lengthen and every day she will get more efficient.
  • Great questions, all! With 10 minutes left in our chat, make sure you ask @GinaCiagne your questions if you have them! :) 
  • v&druston it is really up to you if you mix or keep them separate.  Sometimes it helps to mix as babies often prefer the taste of breastmilk over formula and it can help if it is mixed.  Be sure you are pumping when baby is being fed by someone else or shortly thereafter so your body gets regular stimulation.  Have you met with a lactation consultant as she can assess your situation and give you help in boosting your supply.  Be sure that you are feeding at the breast and/or pumping to mimic baby's schedule so your body gets that regular stimulation.  Best wishes!
  • mjschenk  if its been working, just keep on what you have been doing.  If it seems like he had a good session and your breast is emptier than when he started, its ok to offer him the other breast.
    mjschenk
  • Meg141 Its important that you be treated as well as baby and mom can pass back and forth and it ends up being around for longer than needed.  Thrush symptoms are generally itchy, burning breast/nipple shiny or flaky skin on the nipple/areola, nipple pain.  It would be good to contact the doctor and explain the situation about the spilled bottle of medicine--it happens! and its important for baby to finish medication completely and for you to be treated as well.
  • @GinaCiagne thanks for your response. yes I met with a LC multiple times. My DS only nurses for about half an oz in 20 minutes, but I can generally pump 2-4 ozs in that time, that is why we decided to move to pumping. Luckily he doesn't seem to be a picky eater when it comes to formula. I'm doing my best to pump with every feeding. But this post weekend we had company in town & I only pumped twice each day & now my supply send to have dropped significantly. Will pumping more this week help maker it increase?
  • Thanks for joining, everyone! And a HUGE thank you to @GinaCiagne!

This week's winners will be announced on this thread tomorrow, so stay tuned!

And thank you all for making our TaTa Tuesdays so rewarding and successful :) 
  • v&druston yes pumping more this week is a good idea--don't worry it will come back up and its good you are aware of it and keeping an eye on it.  Take care
  • @GinaCiagne Do regular soft non underwrite bras work well for easy access to breastfeed? My DH just bought me a multi pack of super comfortable sociology bras on Groupon and I'm wondering if I will need to get nursing specific bras or if these will work.
  • JZ1989 There is no specific list of things to avoid eating while nursing though it there is a family history of allergies you would want to use caution when eating those thing.  Generally, things that you ate while pregnant have already exposed your baby to flavors and tastes.  If you notice your baby is gassy or agitated after you have eaten something like dairy (a common irritant) or something spicy that you would normally not eat, cut it out of  your diet to see if that helps baby.  Babies do get gassy sometimes and that is common so it doesn't always mean its something that you shouldn't have eaten.   
  • last14reallast14real
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its 500 Comments First Answer
    edited August 2015
    Hi @GinaCiagne  do you have a favorite brand of nursing bra (non sport bra)? I'm on my 3rd little one but have yet to find a bra I just LOVE. I have bought mainly from Motherhood and Target but have not been overly impressed with their selections. Looking for comfort, but must have some shape and sports bras just don't provide that.
  • Hi there,

Unfortunately, this chat has ended - but your questions are important! You should feel free to post your questions to the Breastfeeding board if you'd like to get the Community's advice. 

Thank you!
  • @GinaCiagne I was wondering if it is possible to successfully bf an infant with only 1 breast. I had breast cancer after my second child was born, and had a right mastectomy. I ha radiation but again, only on the right side.
    After getting clearance from all my doctors, I am now pregnant with my third. I was able to fb my first two easily, my first for a year and my second until he was 6.5 months old when I was diagnosed. My left side was always my better producer as well.
    So do I have any hope of being able to bf my third?