December 2015 Moms

Fluttering under breast/rib cage

garimamanishigarimamanishi member
edited August 2015 in December 2015 Moms
hello
I am 25 weeks pregnant and I have lately started to get fluttering or palpitation under my right breast. It lasts for 10 -15 seconds but it feels like high rate heartbeat. Has anyone else experienced this?

Best Answers

Re: Fluttering under breast/rib cage

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks Bella. It's a relieve to know others get this too during pregnancy.
  • Thanks asmith!!!! Glad that I am not the only one with this symptom.
  • @garimamanishi To make sure the person you're addressing sees your post you might want to type their exact username with the @symbol in front. This way they should be tagged and notified.
  • I'm 24 weeks now and for the past week or two my baby girl has been kicking right below my breasts. She likes to kick my ribs too. :( Before they started being super obvious kicks, they felt like little flutters or twitches. XD Maybe your feeling some of your baby's movements. :)

• So far I know its not a big deal...mine happens every once in a while lasting a few seconds and goes away..no pain no pressure there....
  • I have similar stuff going on and my doctor said that it's because of the vena cava. The vena cava is one of the biggest veins in your body and runs down the right side of your body. That vein and the blood flow through it is the main reason they don't want you sleeping on your right side either -- it cuts off flow through this vein. Anyway, he told me that as things get pushed around by your uterus it can affect the flow through the vein from time to time. Certain positions (both that you are in and that your baby is in) can alter the blood flow and can cause those heart palpitation type feelings. He said it's totally normal and it's just your body's way of telling you that something is a little pinched or out of whack. He said the best thing to do is just change positions until it goes away.

Obviously if you're concerned then chat with your doc about it but I don't think it's anything too serious unless it's happening all the time. 
  • My kicks are up super high, like in the realm of my uterus should in no way be up that high. Measured today and I'll be damned it's up that high. If I stick my hand under my right breast I can feel the pulsation of my vena cava most of the time. Between your uterus squishing everything and shoving things up and your increased blood flow all sorts of fun abdominal sensations are occurring
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • I had this exact thing happen the other night and it kind of freaked me out. Good to know it's not an uncommon thing.