Baby Names

Name popularity

How much does the popularity of a name you like affect whether or not you choose it? Personally, I'm not a fan of made up names/odd spellings/etc. I like mainstream names without being too cutesy (or frat boy-ish for boys) but hopefully that aren't in the top 10. But DH and I LOVE the name Emma. Still, I'd hate for her to be one of 7 Emmas in her class. Thoughts?

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
Married July 2010
DC #1 Oct 2013
DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Name popularity

• mattandloramattandlora member
    edited August 2015
    The pure number of kids who get a top 10 name is less than the number who used to get them. My William is one of 3 in his class, and I don't care. We loved the name and it's a family name. My personal opinion is that you'll regret not using a name you love more than you'd regret using a top 10 name. I hear stories from teachers all the time who report things like no Emmas but 3 butchered spellings of Madeline or something. It's a crapshoot, really. Go with what you love

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• To me it doesn't matter. If you like the name then go for it, especially if you and your DH both like it.

My DH took Liam off our boys list because everyone is naming their child Liam that we know, even though they all live in different states than us.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Names are so diverse now that I hardy ever have kids sharing a name in my class, and when I do it's a crazy coincidence, like the year I had 2 girl Micahs or 2 Kevins. I don't have any Emmas, Olivias, Madelines, or Lilys this year (or last for that matter). I would use the name you love and take the gamble.
  • Thanks, ladies!

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• kayway85kayway85 member
    edited August 2015
    My moms a fifth grade teacher and six of her eight girls this year are:

Kayla
    Kayla
    Kaylee
    Kylie
    Callie
    Cara

Think of your child's teacher! I feel like in ten years, this list will look like:

Emma
    Emmeline
    Emmelyn
    Amelia
    Emilia
    Emily
    Ellie

I wouldn't do it, personally. I would Keep searching for something else you love. All these Elle and Emme names are so overdone. On the other hand, if you're really attached to it and you can't move past it, I guess just make peace with the fact that they will be Emma D. (Or whatever your last initial is) for their academic career.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I prefer something that's not in the top 40ish.
  • I prefer a name that isn't in the top 200. But luckily for me the name I love isn't. If the name I loved was in the top 10 I'd have to do some soul searching to decide if it really mattered to me. It probably wouldn't matter if it felt right.
    Love: 5/2004
    Marriage: 4/2008
    Baby Carriage #1: 5/2012
    Baby Carriage #2: 1/2016

• If you really love it, go for it. Just know that your child will use a last initial all through school. Look at the data in your area though- J names are HUGE where I am, and in my classes I've had 6-10 kids per class have J names. I've only had one Emma so far (kindergarten). I think using a popular name is still way better than using a made up name.