Baby Names
Options

Thoughts on the name Seraphina?

CaraluvsCaraluvs member
edited August 2015 in Baby Names
Seraphina was the name of a much beloved family member, my great grandmother. The woman who brought the family to the US from Italy. 

My baby girl's name is Isabel Aurelia. Aurelia was also a family name.

I thought if she ever were to get a sister, Seraphina would be a cool name to pass on. I feel like it could work as a fn since it can be simplified to Sarah for work or whatever if she decides Seraphina is too over the top. Also, I adore the name Phoenix as a nickname. (Any thoughts on an equally awesome nickname for Isabel would be welcome. She is currently without nickname) I was thinking Seraphina Irene. I can't switch it because my husband kind of hates Irene, but is flexible on the middle name spot. We also like Madeleine as our only other first name possibility that we agree on. We were thinking Madeleine Seraphina was a little too much for one baby to handle, letter wise. My best friend has a long name like that, and she really hates the hassle of not being able to fit her full name on her class ring, things like that. Maybe Madeleine Rose?

So...

Seraphina Irene or Madeleine Rose?

Any thoughts or opinions welcome.
If you have a different first name that would work with Isabel as a sibset, feel free to make suggestions of names that use Seraphina as a middle name.
Anniversary
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Thoughts on the name Seraphina?

• Options
    bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited August 2015
    I prefer Serafina (f spelling vs ph) and I adore it.  I much much much prefer it to Madeleine.  I just can't with any more Maddy anything despite this being a beautiful name.  Serafina/Seraphina Irene is fantastic!

• Options
    Can you do Serafina Rose? I think it flows better than Irene, and I much prefer Serafina to Madeleine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    delujm0 said:

Can you do Serafina Rose? I think it flows better than Irene, and I much prefer Serafina to Madeleine.

This
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    I think the name Seraphina is beautiful. I also love Madeleine but I appreciate that Seraphina is much less used, and that it has personal meaning to you.

Agree with the previous posters though about liking Seraphina Rose a little bit better!
  • Options
    Seraphina Rose was on our short list. I think it's a beautiful name and I love that it honors a family member.
  • Options
    I love Seraphina, but hate the nickname Phoenix. Madeline is very nice, but I agree that the Maddie trend is a little out of control.
  • Options
    Seraphina Rose! Even if she does go by Sarah, Sarah Rose is cuter than Sarah Irene.
  • Options
    Serephina Rose is my favorite option. Madeline and all of the Maddies are so overdone. I think Phoenix is a bit of a stretch. Izzie and Sara is a cute nn set.
  • Options
    Love it!!!!
  • Options
    I agree with pp Seraphina Rose is beautiful
  • Options
    I love Serafina. I just told H last night that would be my top choice if we randomly had a third kid.

I'm so over Rose as a MN unless there is family significance.
  • Options
    Serphina sounds too much like cellophane to me. Do Americans use this word often? Maybe not. In which case, I'd use it if you like it more. I prefer Irene as a first name, or Madeline.
  • Options
    I like Seraphina better than Madeleine. Seraphina is much too beautiful of a name to use Phoenix as a nn. I would go with Sera/Sara.
    If Isabel doesn't have a nn, then maybe she doesn't need one. I'm one to think nn are supposed to come naturally. Fwiw, my friend calls hers Bella. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    I love the name. My family is Italian, so that's probably why! :)
  • Options
    Serafina spelled this way (the italian way) rose