March 2016 Moms

Bonding immediately after birth...

I read some hospitals in my area are trying this instant bond method where the baby's cord isn't clamped after birth for one hour, and the baby is laid on the mother for the whole hour as long as everything is ok. Thoughts?

Re: Bonding immediately after birth...

• The cord isn't clamped for an hour? That's a long time. I've heard of/experienced a few minutes. And both of my boys bonded for an hour without them cleaning/measuring. It's awesome.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• I've heard of delayed cord clamping but not for an hour. I was able to do skin to skin and nurse before they took my son. I don't have any idea how long he was with me before getting cleaned and measured but it was quite a while and provided ample bonding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • I thought so too... But here's the article and my friend is a L&D nurse here and they are using this method. It seems like a great thing as long as everything is ok
  • My daughter had to be auctioned immediately after birth but I had her skin to skin within a couple minutes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I plan on doing delayed cord clamping. But I've heard to have them clamp/cut it once the cord stops pulsating. And from what I've read, that's usually around 10 minutes or so.
  • If that can happen great! If for some reason it doesn't, I wouldn't stress about it. I had a c- section, so I didn't get to do skin - to - skin for an hour (can't remember exactly how long). As soon as I was rolled back to my room, I nursed him and did skin - to - skin. It was great, and we instantly bonded. Nursing went well (in fact just weaned him a week ago. He's 2.5). Guess my point is put it in your birthing plan, but be flexible and if it doesn't happen, don't let it upset you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I really liked the idea of delayed cord clamping, bonding and first breast feeding right after birth....

this is assuming all goes well, I am not heavily medicated or have been cut open... one can plan though
  • I had this in my birth plan and it was maybe the only thing that actually went as planned. It was great. Whenever I think of my DD's birth the first and sweetest memory is of her and I snuggling for the first hour.
  • Just a little difference between siblings - my first, we did the hour of skin to skin/bonding before they did measurements and he did not nurse - this was on his own, didn't force him, but we did have a successful nursing relationship that started probably 5 hours after birth (he was exhausted from 17 1/2 hours of labor).  My second was a major boob monster and found my boob right away.  He nursed for the entire hour of bonding. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• This was the best part of my DD's birth <3  But the cord clamping was delayed about 20 minutes or so.
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Our hospital is part of the baby-friendly initiative, and my OB is a huge advocate of delayed cord clamping, but he just does it until it stops pulsating, about 5-10 minutes or so.
    I remember reading about lotus birth, where the cord is never cut at all, and the placenta stays attached to the baby (and covered in potpourri bc it's gets stinky?) until the cord shrivels and falls off on its own (a week or so!); I know that's totally different, but this just made me remember it.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • I think that's one thing I'd like to do differently this time.  I want to spend more time with baby before family starts coming in.  I felt like I was handing DS off and I barely knew him.  Then after that whirlwind I showered, they took me to the post-delivery care and it was hours before I saw him again.  If you made me pick him out of a crowd, I wouldn't have been able to!  I also want to try to breastfeed right away.  I had issues with DS and want to make it as easy as possible next time.  

Anniversary

• We did not do delayed cord clamping as I did not know about it. However, our hospital is a baby friendly hospital now and I will askabout it. We did have skin to skin contact right away, from what I remember. Although it was such a whirlwind. We also did not get them to clean up the baby until at least an hour after and he stayed with us in the room. They discouraged from putting the baby in the nursery to promote breastfeeding (I did not know that then). We had a great nursing relationship and just quit at 2 years in order to get preggo again. 
    imageimage