Baby Names

SIL wants name for future baby

DH has been impossible with names.  He has turned down every single one that I've mentioned (20+) but finally brought up his suggestion which is Elijah.  It's nice and I was sold until his sister started complaining that Elijah is her name she has picked out for her future baby.  I know she may never even have kids or a boy for that matter, but it totally turned me away from the name.  Not only do I want to seem like we are "stealing" it but I really don't want to hear her complain for the rest of my life.  Opinions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: SIL wants name for future baby

• No one owns a name, especially someone who may or may not have kids. Plus there is no guarantee that she would still want Elijah as the name if the time actually came. I would not let her opinion sway your decision.

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Lindsaym5!Lindsaym5! member
    edited August 2015
    I know exactly what you mean! My sister in law tried to claim MY grandfathers name. She hadn't even heard the name before I told her. I say use it if it is really what you've always wanted.
  • No one owns a name but since it isn't a name you've loved or agreed upon with your husband for a significant period of time, AND it's a closely related family member, I would probably avoid it.
  • I'd use it if you love it and agree on it. She has no claim, and as others have said may not even end up using it. If she had told you the name and then you wanted to use it, that might be different, but it sounds like your DH stumbled across it on his own? Or did she tell him she loved the name? Either way, first come first serve. She will love her little nephew regardless.
  • I guess the family started loving the name.  My MIL liked the name so my other SIL was going to name her baby Elijah if she had a boy, but she had a girl and is done having children.  That's where DH came up with the idea.  But he didn't tell me that his younger sister wanted to use it also.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I guess the family started loving the name.  My MIL liked the name so my other SIL was going to name her baby Elijah if she had a boy, but she had a girl and is done having children.  That's where DH came up with the idea.  But he didn't tell me that his younger sister wanted to use it also.

Ah, I see. That makes a *little* more sense, but I still don't think it's ok to call dibs on a name for a kid. It's not like saying "shotgun!" Or something. I feel like she's being juvenile, and I would be tempted to stay out of it and let your husband sort it out with his sister. If you feel like it's going to negatively impact your relationship with her, I guess you have to reconcile that with how much you like the name.

I also agree that chances are when (and if) she gets pregnant with a boy (those are two fairly big ifs) she will change her mind as well. People's taste change with time. If you're close enough, maybe call or message her - just level with her. Maybe she'll be reasonable about it (???)
  • I personally wouldn't use it (especially if you don't LOVE it) but I have a serious problem of being a people pleaser.

I think @bbiutmcph had some great suggestions!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • You can't claim a name for the future imo.
  • I know exactly what you mean! My sister in law tried to claim MY grandfathers name. She hadn't even heard the name before I told her. I say use it if it is really what you've always wanted.

Um...your SIL who I assume is married to your brother? Isn't that also HIS grandfather's name?

If it's a family name it's much less weird to have multiple kids using it in the same family in my opinion. And unfortunately the first one to have a kid of that sex will have the first go at using it. That's life. No one owns a name.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Use it.

Others: Elias. Eli. Uriah. Levi.