January 2016 Moms
Options

Uninsured and scared

Are there any other first time mums out there terrified of not being able to afford the care that they need? Im almost 17 weeks and keep being passed around place to place without being able to get a scan. I'm desperate to know everything is okay. But have been given a price of $700 for an ultrasound.
Am I the only one who is in this situation?

Best Answers

Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You haven't tried getting on Medicaid they pay for all prenatal care and delivery and since your a soon to be mom they will expedite your papers and if you apply early in the week it'll be on that same week you don't have to necessarily wait for the card either you can go and have them look it up on the computer. It happened to me although I wasn't 17 weeks I was earlier my mom switched jobs and her insurances wouldn't be active in time and she told me to just go ahead and get my own since I'll be 20 in October and it's just time to do grown up things. So for right now I'm on Medicaid and they also do breast pumps through that insurance well depending on the state in mine they allow it. Best of luck to you mama and hope you get what you need soon because you've hit some stages where you supposed to be getting tests ran to check if baby has certain things. They don't have a free clinic for expecting mothers near you?
  • Options
    All pregnant women qualify for medicaid. There's no reason to not have coverage. Some health departments will help you with the paperwork if you need help.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else, Medicaid! I had to use it two years ago when I wasn't employed enough for benefits and DH was unemployed. I'm surprised none of these places that are passing you around haven't suggested it.
  • Options
    This was me two weeks ago! I lost my insurance when the "Affordable" Care Act came into play and then it was too expensive for me to pay for it month to month when I went through healthcare.gov. For my husband and myself it would have been over $400 a month and a $12,500 deductible for the most basic plan... And we don't make near enough to write home about.. It was ridiculous and I panicked. My first suggestion would to be to check with your school if you're in college right now. I just got insurance through mine and I pay $120 a month and have a $350 deductible because I get student deals! Otherwise MEDICAID MEDICAID MEDICAID. It's there for a reason. Not to be abused, but utilized by people who need it.
  • Options
    AND ALSO there's no reason a sonogram should cost $700. I went to a separate imaging place where that's all they do and it was not even $80.
  • Options
    I completely understand, we are uninsured and yes you can get denied for pregnancy Medicaid. We did. I've been going to my health department. I still have to pay for all of the services but they are letting me make easier payments. As far as the 20 week ultrasound, they are sending me to a doctor they partner with. They td me it would be 800 at first but I have a super nice nurse who called on my behalf and got it dropped down to 200 if I pay in cash. Maybe you should try the same thing and see if cash price is different. Don't let it stress you out or take away your joy of being pregnant. Things will work out!
  • Options
    Abby0307 said:

I completely understand, we are uninsured and yes you can get denied for pregnancy Medicaid. We did. I've been going to my health department. I still have to pay for all of the services but they are letting me make easier payments. As far as the 20 week ultrasound, they are sending me to a doctor they partner with. They td me it would be 800 at first but I have a super nice nurse who called on my behalf and got it dropped down to 200 if I pay in cash. Maybe you should try the same thing and see if cash price is different. Don't let it stress you out or take away your joy of being pregnant. Things will work out!

Whoa that's unheard of for me at least do you make too much or something?
  • Options
    Yep title 19 or Medicaid ...
    I had an ultrasound before pregnancy not related to pregnancy WITH insurance and it cost me $800 out of pocket expense... So I'm not surprised at the cost at all.
    Good luck mama. Use what help us out there so you can relax.
  • Options
    ? Not all pregnant women qualify for Medicaid. I was denied for my first child ten years ago for income.
    If you don't qualify, check into charity or teaching hospitals near you.
    I paid cash for doctor for DD after the denial, for delivery and all office visits it was around $2500.
    Some docs will accept cash pay on a plan.

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Options
    Not all moms qualify for Medicaid. I was denied as well. This is my last baby because it's going to cost me close to $5000 to have this baby.
  • Options
    It's a misconception that all pregnant women automatically qualify for Medicaid. There are income restrictions. They are expanded for pregnant women (I think 200% of the federal poverty line), but they are still quite low - around $23k (for household of 1) or $32k (for 2). It's not hard to be over those limits if you or both people work full time.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options
    As PPs have said, look into Medicaid, see if you qualify. Also, as a PP said, google around your area and see if you can find a free clinic, Planned Parenthood, etc. This is the true reason these places exist!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Most health departments have a pregnancy resource clinic that can link you up with help in your area. Sometimes you might qualify for a sliding scale or reduced scale payment fee because you are paying with cash. It's crazy that in order to qualify for healthcare help as a pregnant woman that you have to essentially quit your job and make yourself dependent. Something's definitely wrong with our system
  • Options
    Ditto PP about not all pregnant women being covered. I was on Medicaid with my DD and I barely made it due to my income. (I believe the cutoff was $1200/mo where I lived and I made just under $1100/mo) I was very fortunate to have the coverage and after DD was born, (after my 6 week appointment) I dropped myself from the coverage. Look into it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Yea we were told we make to much. Because we are married we have to file both our incomes. The lady who helped us pretty much told me that the best thing we could do is to file for separation. I'm not going to do that because I don't believe it would be honest ir right, so here we are...broke. Lol
  • Options
    Abby0307 said:

Yea we were told we make to much. Because we are married we have to file both our incomes. The lady who helped us pretty much told me that the best thing we could do is to file for separation. I'm not going to do that because I don't believe it would be honest ir right, so here we are...broke. Lol

Oh wow I never knew that. It's sad I feel they should help all mamas at least till after delivery. I'm only a college student so I don't make that much with job I have which to me is expected I'm a full time student I'm really pushing it with classes and work. My SO does help but we don't have a marriage so I didn't have to consider him when I was filling out the paperwork.

Yall mamas really informed me on something new cause I had no clue they denied mommy to be's.
  • Options

AND ALSO there's no reason a sonogram should cost $700. I went to a separate imaging place where that's all they do and it was not even $80.

The reason it costs more for a medical ultrasound than an imaging place is that you are also paying for interpretation by a board certified radiologist versus only a sonographer. Also overhead at the clinic/hospital is more than likely higher than an imaging center so they have to charge more to cover expenses related to staff, utility bills, equipment, etc.
  • Options
    There's a big difference between a "fun" elective US and a diagnostic one, most of the "fun" places won't even do one unless you prove you are being cared for by an OB.
  • Options
    SummerOHSummerOH member
    edited August 2015
    @QueenCarlissa Make sure you double check that in the future. Not sure if you live together, but if you do, you have to list his income for certain things. My friend wasn't able to get a medical card for herself because she lived with her parents and had to list their income since they were part of her household count. Her son was covered, though. It varies from program to program so make sure you ask. Otherwise they will legally be able to declare fraud, regardless of whether or not you knew. Stinks, but it's how it is. So just ask in the future for other programs (for WIC, TANF, SNAP, income-based housing, childcare, etc).

• Options
    @abby0307 are you sure the lady didn't suggest you file separately? I have a hard time believing they'd suggest getting divorced over just filing your taxes as "married filing separately" rather than "married filing jointly". They likely recommended that so you guys report separate, lower incomes to the government instead of 1 big income. Call a CPA or tax advisor and see if filing separately would help. It doesn't affect your marriage, I have a few clients who decided not to file jointly after marriage.
  • Options
    SummerOHSummerOH member
    edited August 2015
    @ccoleeman I'm pretty sure that's not legal. I know you can't claim the EITC if your status is married filing separately, so I imagine other welfare programs are the same. Otherwise there would be a crazy amount of families on it. Just think of how many couples there are where one makes significantly less. You could theoretically have a wife and kids on welfare when the spouse is making six figures. It doesn't work that way. Filing separately typically doesn't benefit couples who are married with children because many of the deductions and credits are disallowed in that status (student loan interest, the aforementioned EITC, and dependent care costs like childcare for example). Married filing separately is NOT the same thing as filing as if both are single. However, if she legally separates then she CAN file as single and get those benefits.

• Options
    I work for a social service agency and we refer to planned parenthood or clinics like it for those who dont qualify for medicaid. Not sure what state OP lives in, but here in CA, there are state and county programs that cover up to a higher income level than medicaid.
  • Options
    Try Medicaid, but you can also check and see if there is a crisis pregnancy center near you. Often times they do free ultrasounds.
  • Options
    Thanks girls!!
    I have looked into every kind of medical possible but my situation is complicated to the point I don't qualify for health care of any kind.
    I can't get Medicare or any of the wic programs.
    I'm just hoping I can get the ball rolling this week when I have a meeting with an obgyn.
    My SO works full time and we are putting money aside every two weeks to pay the bills off, I just don't have any options for health insurance. Have already spoken to hospital about my situation and most are not even willing to do the delivery for me.
    Am very confused by it all and its putting my stress levels up big time.
    I'm so glad for this app giving me help and tips I would be lost without it
  • Options
    If you show up at a hospital in labor they can't deny you medical services. You will have to pay later but they can't not deliver your baby.
  • Options
    Maybe you should look into a midwife/birth center. They often have a single all inclusive charge (with the exception of surgery, it probably depends clinic to clinic). 
  • Options
    kmo8986 said:
    If you show up at a hospital in labor they can't deny you medical services. You will have to pay later but they can't not deliver your baby.

Catholic Medical Centers will help you with costs as well and like this PP said they won't deny you medical attention.
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    And as an absolute last resort, you could rack up a bill and then go off the grid. I know a few different people who made debts disappear when they did. It takes a really long time--like a decade--but debts do eventually get written off. I wouldn't ever really condone this if you have literally any other option, but if it comes down to you getting the healthcare you need versus dying in a ditch somewhere, become a ghost...
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    mrhargr said:

The reason it costs more for a medical ultrasound than an imaging place is that you are also paying for interpretation by a board certified radiologist versus only a sonographer. Also overhead at the clinic/hospital is more than likely higher than an imaging center so they have to charge more to cover expenses related to staff, utility bills, equipment, etc.
    The woman who did mine was a board certified radiologist and they also have a board certified physician on their staff. They were a privately owned business, but were able to do all the diagnostic testing that is offered to me at my OB office. Maybe that's why it was cheaper because they weren't affiliated with a hospital!

Edit now That I'm thinking about it, maybe that isn't all that common and I just happened to strike gold with where I was at.
  • Options

l4rk said:

And as an absolute last resort, you could rack up a bill and then go off the grid. I know a few different people who made debts disappear when they did. It takes a really long time--like a decade--but debts do eventually get written off. I wouldn't ever really condone this if you have literally any other option, but if it comes down to you getting the healthcare you need versus dying in a ditch somewhere, become a ghost...

No...this is not the answer and I can't believe someone would suggest this
    My dad did this. It's been over a decade and it's still not worth it. Pay your crap like everyone else has to or else you're making it worse for everyone else. Not to mention the things that you and your child won't be able to do or pay for because mommy and daddy didn't pay the bills.
  • Options
    OP you are not going to die in a ditch and a hospital cannot deny you care. If you show up in labor or with an emergency they have to treat you. That's why they can't ask for insurance info until after services have been provided.

You are going to have to utilize some unconventional options. Go to a free pregnancy clinic- most church's have information to tell you where they are. Go to planned parenthood they bill based in ability to pay. Go to a walk in clinic but do something.

You may just have to deal with paying out of pocket. Most doctors bill differently for people paying themselves and will work out a payment plan because they want to get paid for their services.
    You have the ability to pay eventually you just can't do it all at once.

Don't skip out on your bills as another poster suggested. That's so wrong and contributes to why healthcare is so expensive.
  • Options
    ccoleemanccoleeman member
    edited August 2015
    @SummerOH good point. I've never had a client who was filed separately who was attempting to claim any kind of assistance or benefit. I just have a hard time believing the person advising her actually suggested legal separation as an option, the only thing I could imagine someone saying was filing separately.

Eta: ohhh my preggo brain.
  • Options
    MamaHollandMamaHolland member
    edited August 2015
    Deleted....
  • Options
    Call the hospital close to you that has a labor and delivery floor. They absolutely know where to direct people who need care and have no insurance. I've worked in several hospitals and the L&D floor knows all of the resources. They definitely have options for people who are in the country illegally, etc. You could also try the local health department. They should be able to point you in he right direction.

Do not wait until you are in labor. You and your child need healthcare and there are options for you, you just need to find the right resource.
  • Options
    Most (all?) hospitals provide some charity care to patients who are unable to pay for services. You should do a google search of local hospital websites to learn about their policies and application process. Here is an excerpt from the website from Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia:

Charity Care

If you do not have health insurance or you are unable to pay your hospital bill, you may qualify for Medical Assistance, Medicare or Charity Care. Charity Care may cover your inpatient and/or outpatient hospital-related charges partially or in full. Applicant(s) for Charity Care must agree to complete the application for uncompensated care and assist Hospital staff by furnishing information required to complete the Charity Care application.
    If you have Medicare or health insurance, the Charity Care program will not pay for any amounts that are covered by those insurers. Applicant(s) will be expected to exhaust all other payment sources as a condition for approval. For example, you might be eligible for Medicaid or Medicare. Therefore, you will be required to apply for those programs before seeking Charity Care.
  • Options
    So far I have been put in the system and given patient number. And have been told two hospitals where I will be on file and able to deliver.
    Just found out I can set up payment plans so I will be able to get the care I need during pregnancy which is a huge relief to me.
    My situation is that I am a UK citizen living in USA. Fell in love and a month after arriving missed my period and I just can't leave the father.
    So it puts me in a situation where I'm not documented and not a lot is available to me.
    I am relieved that once baby is born they will have all the treatment they need to be strong and happy.
    Can't help but worry a lot.
    It's a tough situation to be in but I want to do what's best for the child and find out if everything is okay in there : )