Pregnant after a Loss

In a strange limbo, advice please!

I haven't introduced myself over here because I have no idea if I could possibly be pregnant so soon after a D&C. I felt that you ladies were better to consult with in case this sounds familiar to you.

Here's my story...I became pregnant after my first IUI cycle in June. In July we found out it wasn't a viable pregnancy and I had a D&C on July 13. I bled for about 2 weeks with all positive HPTs during that time where the lines progressively got lighter. At the end of the 2 weeks I had a very faint positive pregnancy test around that time which I believed that my HCG was almost back to zero. So I started with OPKs and the first two came back positive (assuming HCG was still high enough). I waited a few days and I eventually got one negative OPK. At 3 weeks post D&C I got a flashing smiley for 2-3 days on the OPK followed by a steady smiley two days later indicating ovulation (by the way I wasn't charting this time around). Today I'm exactly 5 weeks post D&C and 4 wondfo tests have come back very faint positive between yesterday and today but the OPK came back negative. I also took a digital test last night which also came back positive. Because I wasn't charting I can't be definitive on when I ovulated but I could be around 10-12 dpo today. I contacted my RE today and was sent for blood work because they believe I possibly have retained tissue but have not heard the results yet. I realized I'm an idiot for not testing out completely for a negative test!

Any thoughts are much appreciated!
Me: 34 DH:40
TTC #1 since 2013
HSG 11/14 - All Clear
SIS 5/15 - All Clear
IUI #1 6/15 - BFP! M/C 7/15
Benched 7/15-12/15
IUI #2 1/16 TWW....

Re: In a strange limbo, advice please!

• From what I am reading I think it could really go either way. It will likely be a waiting game to see your lab results or see if your HPT is getting darker. Try to testing in the morning for the most consistency.
    If I was betting, I would probably say you are pregnant again.
    Good luck!
  • Thank you @ash413! Anyone know if ovulation is possible with HCG still in your system? Google is giving me mixed reviews. I'm trying not to get my hopes up because I know for some people it takes more than 5 weeks to get the HCG down. It's just the negative OPK followed by a positive that's throwing me off!
    TTC #1 since 2013
    HSG 11/14 - All Clear
    SIS 5/15 - All Clear
    Benched 7/15-12/15
    IUI #2 1/16 TWW....
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with @ash413 , could go either way. I am not sure about ovulating with hcg still in your system but I think 5 or below is considered negative and my doctor told me that even though tests say they don't measure that low, most tests today will measure as low as 5-10. So, supposing your levels were 5 and triggering that faint positive, it is possible that you ovulated a week later and this is a new pregnancy. Keep us posted please! FX for good news!
  • Thank you @rachrobertson! I'm really keeping my fingers crossed!
    TTC #1 since 2013
    HSG 11/14 - All Clear
    SIS 5/15 - All Clear
    Benched 7/15-12/15
    IUI #2 1/16 TWW....
  • I got my results back. HCG is at 20 so of course this still means it could go either way lol. Praying that's it's on the rise but I know 20 is pretty low so I'm thinking it's on the way down :(. I'm guessing I'll get sent for more blood world tomorrow to figure out what's going on.
    TTC #1 since 2013
    HSG 11/14 - All Clear
    SIS 5/15 - All Clear
    Benched 7/15-12/15
    IUI #2 1/16 TWW....
  • Here's an update in case anyone has a similar thing happen. I had my HCG done on Monday and it was 20. I then had it done Friday and it was 29. The RE thought there was active retained tissue and I of course feared an ectopic. Happy to say that I got my period today (most painful period I've ever had!) and I'll be going in for more bloodwork. Just happy this miscarriage is officially over and can move on to the next cycle!
    TTC #1 since 2013
    HSG 11/14 - All Clear
    SIS 5/15 - All Clear
    Benched 7/15-12/15
    IUI #2 1/16 TWW....
  • I'm sorry you this was residual HCG from your loss, but I'm glad your body has finished the process. Good luck on your rainbow baby.
  • Thinking of you. ❤
  • Thank you both!
    TTC #1 since 2013
    HSG 11/14 - All Clear
    SIS 5/15 - All Clear
    Benched 7/15-12/15
    IUI #2 1/16 TWW....
  • I'm so sorry it turned out this way. Here's to a sticky, healthy baby very soon!!