July 2015 Moms

10 minutes

My LO will nurse for about 10 minutes at a time then he'll fall asleep on me. When I try waking him up to keep going he latches off and doesn't want to eat anymore and he'll sleep for about 10 minutes before he's up and ready to eat again. We'll continue this cycle for up to 2 hours sometimes. I've tried burping him but I don't think it's gas related. Any ideas what this could be or how to keep him up for a whole feeding?

Re: 10 minutes

• I keep a wet washcloth nearby and put it on my LO's face...he doesn't really like it but rouses him when he starts to doze off
  • Loading the player...
  • ^^ this, we do a diaper change then burp before going to the next side, usually keeps DS awake to continue feeding
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Cold washcloth....I feel so bad, but the dr recommended it. Gotta fill that baby belly!
  • Diaper changes in between has worked best for me :)
  • My ped had me so worried about keeping him up to feed him. I stressed myself out and I'm sure I stressed out my little trying to force feed him. He always falls asleep on my boob. Sometimes he will eat for 5 minutes, others 15 or 20, it all depends on his mood. I've decided to go with what works for us, so much less stress. He eats when he's hungry, although I do not let him go more than 3.5 hours... he stops when he's full. It's working, he's putting on a ton of weight. Keep a tally of diapers, as long as your little has wet and poop diapers, he should be getting everything he needs. Don't stress yourself out, tou both are learning.
  • I ended up needing to supplement with a syringe or cup with a feeding tube and pumped milk when DD fed, since she just would NOT wake up to eat the first month.  Just check that he's gaining weight - that'll let you know if he's getting enough.