August 2015 Moms
Options

Balloons to induce?

I am currently 41+2 (ttm) and had a membrane sweep yesterday. .I was having contractions during nst and the rest of the day, never any spotting though. I also came home and had sex and sat on a ball most of the day. If nothing by Saturday my midwife will insert a balloon into my cervix to dilate and try and get things going that way before having to send me to the hospital on Tuesday to be induced at 42 weeks. (Trying for a natural birth center birth) Has anyone had the balloon done and was it successful?
I was induced with pit first 2 and I really don't wanna go thru that again :(

Re: Balloons to induce?

• Options
    I had a balloon during my induction and about 30 mins later I was having contractions 2-3 mins apart. I then had an epidural so it slowed it down but the balloon seemed to start the process! I did have to have pitocin later but the balloon gave me contractions
  • Options
    Okay thanks! I'm having it done at the birthing center so no epi for me! I sure hope just the balloon works (:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was induced with a balloon (also called a foley ball) just recently, and had my daughter on July 31. It was uncomfortable having to wait for my cervix to dilate and the balloon to fall out. It definitely made the contractions start up with no hesitation, lol...
  • Options
    I had the ballon put in 8 hours before starting pitocin. It was in place for 12 hours and got me to 4cm dialated. Contractions started 30 minutes after the balloon but pitocin was still needed. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    So happy you started this thread. My dr. is going to induce me the same way if I don't go into labor on my own and I haven't been able to find much info about it. What I really want to know is how painful the insertion and filling of the balloon is. He claims it isn't painful at all however, I had to ask him to stop checking my cervix at my last appointment I was so uncomfortable. So how can a balloon the dilates you to 4 cm not be painful?
  • Options
    I obviously haven't had it done yet, but I have heard it's uncomfortable to painful depending on the person.. but it sounds painful but so is labor lol. But at this point I will be 41+5 and I am beyond ready for this little one to come out!