Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Afraid to get excited, need advice pl!

Got my BFP this morning after m/c'ing in June at 8 weeks. Doc advised to wait for one cycle to start trying again, and we did! Didn't intend to get pregnant again so soon though. My question is should I be going to my doc to check if HCG levels are rising normally etc or can I wait till I'm 6 weeks? I have stock of the prenatal vitamins so I have restarted taking them. I am just so blah right now I wish I could be more excited but just want this baby to stick. Also, any other risks associated with getting pregnant just one cycle after a D&C? Thank you!

Re: Afraid to get excited, need advice pl!

• Options
    Yeah get a regular check when you are 6 weeks and try to be patient
    I am pregnant for 18 mon now and i still don't feel excited about this whole thing
    And i am also annyoing everyone around me cuz i am afraid to lose this one too
    Wish u best
  • Options
    Congrats! I would call your doctor and see what they suggest. My doctor just checked my levels at my initial visit, but not again. However, since I have a history of mc, my doctor agreed to see me every two weeks starting at six weeks for my peace of mind. Still crazy nervous at almost 13 weeks, but going every two weeks definitely helps me stay sane. I hope this is your sticky baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's up to you. If getting blood work early will give you peace of mind then I'd do it. If you think it would stress you out you can wait. I did the testing for comfort but honestly it really never did.
  • Options
    First, congratulations! I had betas done and then went for my first ultrasound at 7 weeks after a MMC at 8 weeks, 2 D&Cs (my uterus is a stage 5 clinger) and was pregnant again within 3 cycles. Your D&C should not complicate this pregnancy from everything I've read and from the shamefully large number of medical professionals I've asked. I'm not sure the betas made me feel better (though they certainly didn't make it worse) and I was very detached (though desperate for the pregnancy to stick) until seeing the heartbeat on the ultrasound, hearing it on Doppler at 11 weeks, and getting genetic testing results back soon after--I was terrified the baby would have Trisomy 18 and we'd lose her--probably because I'm a world class worrier. I'm 14 weeks now and it's gotten way better, but I still feel like I'm faking excitement sometimes. I'm trying to give myself a break, but there are so many expectations of pregnant women that some days are easier than others.
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies! Got the strength to fix an appointment next week but doc was going to be away in the latter part so meeting him on 19th Aug now. Guess it's better this way so he can do a thorough check. I was hesitant because in my last pregnancy I saw a strong heartbeat at 6 weeks and then nothing at 8w+. Terrified but trying to keep myself calm. Haha world-class worriers unite!
  • Options
    My husband's mother got pregnant with him right after a loss and that pregnancy (obviously) turned out fine. Getting my levels checked this time (I didn't know that I could do it with my loss) actually encouraged me after my loss and I was a nervous wreck! Thinking of you and sending you sticky baby dust!
  • Options
    I went to the doc but couldn't see anything except a possible sac. Could be too early he said. HCG levels came in at 2125 two days ago and 3764 today so didn't exactly double but doc said nothing to worry. For now, today, I'm pregnant and I hope to remain positive until my next appointment. Once again thanks for your wishes!
  • Options
    Just some additional encouragement, mine didn't exactly double either and I'm 35 weeks today.
  • Options
    Skydance said:

I went to the doc but couldn't see anything except a possible sac. Could be too early he said. HCG levels came in at 2125 two days ago and 3764 today so didn't exactly double but doc said nothing to worry. For now, today, I'm pregnant and I hope to remain positive until my next appointment. Once again thanks for your wishes!

Mine didn't double in 48 hrs once it hit around 1000, I'm 27 weeks now.
  • Options
    Thanks @PlainJane8350 and @ash413 for your encouraging words. Feeling a bit silly worrying this much but after the MC it's natural! Hardly have any symptoms to reassure me either.
  • Options
    Don't! I worried like crazy, forced my way into appointments every two weeks instead of three and still worry sometimes! I hear it never ends either, people tell me that they still worry about their grown children. Great! ;)