April 2016 Moms

OBGYN not until 10 weeks?

Is anyone else in this boat? This is my first pregnancy and my OB doesn't see patients until you are 10-12 weeks. I will see the Dr. at 10 weeks (Sept 15). It seems so far away especially when other people have already seen the dr. Anyone else not see the dr until this point? Why do they wait so long?

Re: OBGYN not until 10 weeks?

• Yep that's within the norm. I meet with a nurse practitioner at 8 weeks for a blood test and logistics, then my first ob visit isn't until 10.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Ok, whew! Apparently this appointment is 2 hours. The first 30 minutes is with the nurse the rest of the time is with the Dr. Also, according to the receptionist as long as my insurance covers it, they will do an ultra sound at this one too. I just freaked slightly when other people seem to have appointments much earlier!
  • Loading the player...
  • You're lucky you're getting an u/s! I won't get one until the optional NT scan at 12 weeks. I guess I should be grateful, I had two early scans with my DD due to spotting (that I now know was normal).
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Ya, I am trying to be grateful that nothing is happening to require more visits/testing. I am hoping the insurance covers the U/S at this appointment. I have tried in a round about way to ask teacher friends I work with when they got their first U/S but can't ask too many detailed questions or they might catch on and we don't want to tell anymore until after that first appointment. 
  • Glad to hear these responses! I have my first OB appointment on the 28th, but my first U/S won't be until a couple weeks after that. My Dr. has this policy since the heartbeat isn't readily visible in 100% of women that early, and she doesn't want to unnecessarily stress anyone out.
    Me: 27 DH: 32
    2 Pugs: Max and Daisy (adopted 2006)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @allieinbetween how many weeks will you be at your first appointment?
  • @JessicaJM2015 I'll be 7w 4d approx at my first appointment.

• @allieinbetween I guess I'd rather have the later appointment and just get everything done. I teach so getting the day off is a huge pain! Since this appointment is 2 hours I didn't get much choice about scheduling, hopefully the rest can be after work! Do you know what they will do at your first appointment?
  • @JessicaJM2015 The first visit they get a urine/blood sample, do a pap and a physical. I think I work out the insurance stuff too, and then schedule my first U/S for a couple weeks after. Luckily my SIL and I have the same OB so she gave me the run down on what to expect.

• We usually schedule between 8-10 weeks for the initial ob visit In the office I work at . First u/s is at 12 weeks. Every office is different :)
  • @jonesl12 thanks! Idk how I'm going to wait 5 more weeks!!!
  • Yes! My doctor generally sees people around 8 weeks and with my first I didn't see her until ten weeks. Honestly I think it's just because there's not much the doctor can do at 4 or 5 weeks besides confirm the pregnancy, which seems silly because today's pregnancy tests are so accurate. Of course if you are high risk, you may need tests run, but otherwise, I think they just wait to see if the pregnancy will be viable. It sounds horrible, but most miscarriages happen within those first 8 weeks, so I think they wait until then to see... and also because there's a lot more to do and see at 8-10 weeks. In the meantime, if you have any specific questions about dos, don'ts, symptoms, etc., I would definitely call your office/nurse's line for answers!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Also this totally depends on the doctor and maybe your insurance, but I get a confirmation ultrasound at my first appointment, so I'd rather wait until a little later... much more to see :-)
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • My Dr does 9 week appointments along with an ultrasound. So the first few weeks drag because it doesnt feel real until we see our baby! lol I am excited though!
  • That's fairly normal. My OB doesn't see patients until 12 weeks. There isn't much to do before than other than a confirmation.

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!

• I go in for my first appointment on the 1st and I will be 9w 1d. I wish I didn't have to wait. I'm not sure if they will be doing a u/s either.
  • Nurse at 9w6, OB at 11w3 here. No U/S until the anatomy at 18-20. 
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine sees you the firs time around 9-10 weeks. I will go in next week, at 7. But only because I am higher risk because of an ectopic in March.

After that, I actually don't know what their "schedule" is because I haven't gotten that far.
  • Totally normal, I didn't have mine til around 9 weeks with my boys, I am only being seen so early due to the cp and mc. 
    imageimage
  • Hi :) You are not alone! I'm 6wks today and my very first Dr. Appointment isn't until 9/10. I feel that this next month will be the slowest one yet, my appointment cannot come fast enough!!!