Baby Names
Options

The name Maya

etoom09etoom09 member
edited August 2015 in Baby Names
Ok so DH and I finally decided that this is going to be our baby girls name, pronounced my-ah. His whole family has said "isn't that pronounced May-ah"?! It's driving me crazy!!! Isn't that the correct way to spell it as my-ah? What are your thoughts and how else would you spell it, mya maybe?

Re: The name Maya

• Options
    I would pronounce it my-ah like you. I wound never consider pronouncing it any other way. If it makes you feel any better my little one is Julia and my in-laws can't seem to pronounce it correctly. Don't change the spelling, just keep correcting them and hopefully they'll eventually figure it out.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's pronounced My-ah. Love that name!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I pronounce Maya as My-ah, but the girls I know with this name spell it Mya. I think Maya looks better. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    I thought Mia was My-ah and Maya was May-ah. 

• Options
    I've had several students spell and pronounce it like you. It will be fine.
  • Options
    When I think of "My-uh" I lean towards this spelling: Mya

When I see Maya, my mind leans towards May-uh....even though I know that it is supposed to be pronounced like Mya. But I just can't stop thinking "May-uh" when I see that spelling. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    The only way I would pronounce Maya is My-uh... I've never heard of May-uh, that's a strange way to pronounce it if you ask me.

I love the name btw, it was on my short list.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's definitely my-ah. Never heard anyone say may-uh, spelled Maya or any other way. I think Mya is fine too, but Maya is the more common spelling.
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    I would pronounce it my-ah. I know a girl who spells it Maia.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    crf4crf4 member
    Mia is "mee-ah" Maya is "my-ah".
  • Options
    You are absolutely correct! Do not mess with the spelling!! Anyone pronouncing Maya as may-a must live under a rock.
  • Options
    provwifeprovwife member
    edited August 2015
    Maya is the correct spelling but I don't like it because it really does look like may uh. I would chose Mya, personally, and I'm usually all for traditional spelling. This is an exception in my book lol.
  • Options
    Maya for sure. And I'd definitely pronounce it my-ah (I think of Maya Rudolph). I think it's a pretty name and wouldn't worry about possibly having to correct people.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Options
    Maya is on our short list as well. I think there are many names that don't look exactly like they sound, but they are popular enough that everyone should know how to pronounce them. Just like many words in our language don't follow exact rules always. I would definitely use Maya, or possibly Maia, but not Mya. 
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I'd use Mya or myah.
  • Options
    I would pronounce Maya as my-ah.  
  • Options
    Oh please go with Maya.. I lost a Maya very dear to me a few years ago from suicide. I hope that doesn't put you off the name.. she was an absolute gift and the name is very precious to me. 
  • Options
    I know a Maiya, to throw a you-neek spelling into the mix. :)
  • Options
    Maya is definitely My-ah. Love the name by the way!
  • Options
    My daughter is Maija (traditional Latvian sp). I think Maya and Maia (the 2 most common spellings I've seen) are lovely and I would definitely pronounce them My-uh.
  • Options
    I love this thread bc if it's a girl mine will be Maya. Maya Rose ❤️
  • Options
    I would pronounce as follows, I'm from KY as a reference that may help:

Mya- my-uh
    Maya- may-uh
    Mia- me-uh
    Maiya- this is made up ;)
  • Options
    My daughters name is Maya. Love the name;)
  • Options
    My niece is Maya. Pronounced My-ah
    together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker