December 2015 Moms

IVF Baby Question

I had an Anatomy Ultrasound last week and although the doctor on site (not mine) said I needed to get a Fetal Echocardiogram. Not because there's a problem, but because IVF babies are prone to heart disease. Is anyone familiar with this?

Re: IVF Baby Question

• BspzBspz member
    I was just told the same thing. My reproductive endocrinologist said it's based on very limited research. I started reading up & found that they can't determine if it's the actual IVF or underlying reasons for infertility. There findings seem to be new & somewhat inconclusive. In think they are overly cautious these days & more than happy to bill insurance. I'm not worrying ~ I'm going to look at it as another opportunity to see my babies. Best of luck to you & try not to worry.
  • If you haven't already, it might be worth asking this question on the Pregnant After IF board, too. You might get some feedback here, I know I've seen a few IVF moms.
    Baby Boy Due December 29th!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We did IVF and were told the same. Had the Fetal Echo and baby girl checked out fine. I'm all for any extra testing the docs want to do. Took about 45 minutes.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Beckah31Beckah31 member
    edited August 2015
    This is my second IVF pregnancy and it's not been offered to us, but I'd still say go for it. Better to be sure.
    I do get slightly closer monitoring for placental restriction/IUGR, but as long as Bubbles stays on target there isn't any need for intervention.
    Edit for clarity
  • Thank you everyone. I spoke more in detail with my doctor today, and he assured me everything looks great & additional testing is standard procedure for IVF patients.
  • They did this with my second IVF pregnancy, but not my first. I was kind of on the fence about it considering I don't think there's a huge risk but it didn't take that much more time and was noninvasive. They couldn't get the echo on baby b the first time because it was moving so much, so they did it on my most recent ultrasound. If they didn't get it then I was going to pass because it wouldn't change our plans for care.