Breastfeeding

Low milk supply!?

I'm a FTM and have a question about breastfeeding. I'm so confused as to how often I should be breastfeeding my son. I try for every 2-3 hours but sometimes he wants to eat before then. I worry my milk supply is not enough for him. I had to supplement him for a little but he's off the formula completely now. I've been drinking anything and everything that increases milk supply but it seems like nothing is working :( I try to stay positive and determined to breastfeed but sometimes it's hard when I see how much milk I pump out. I get about 1oz total from both breasts after a feeding, how do I know he's getting enough?! Any advice or encouraging words would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Low milk supply!?

• I'm sure he's getting enough! Your baby gets more out of you than what you pump. I'm not a great pumper either! My son cluster feeds. So sometimes he eats every half hour or so a couple hours. He tends to cluster in the mid morning to early afternoon, right before nap time and at night til he goes to bed.

I have been going crazy about how to produce more milk as well so that I feel like I am getting enough to pump, but lately I have just relaxed and the milk seems to be coming more. Also, try cuddling with your baby before you pump, but it seems to help me.
  • Feed your baby on demand, don't watch the clock. If he's hungry feed him, otherwise you will have true supply issues down the line.

8-10 wet diapers, and 6-8 dirty in the first month or so is normal and let's you know baby is getting enough.

Pumping is not as efficient as your baby is at getting milk out of your breastfeeding. If you are getting an ounce after feedings that's pretty darn good. If you try pumping after the first morning feedings you might get a little more. Breastmilk is a supply and demand process, the more you nurse the more milk you make. An empty breast actually fills up faster then a full one.

You are doing fine momma, if you look up your local La Leche League it would be beneficial to try to make a meeting because I'm sure you have more questions :)